How dumb can your dupe get?

I had a frustrating moment where I realized a little late someone was trapped in some hydrogen.  Just needed to dig out 4 blocks to get him to some oxygen.  So I prioritize it and he keeps working on his level 5 priority job.  I move him to it and he digs out 2 tiles and another one nearby digs out 1 tile.  1 tile left and he's freed.  He refused to dig it, and went back to his other jobs.  I move him over there to force him to do it, not realizing that someone from on the other side of the colony was queued up to do it.  And of course that one got there just in time to finish digging as the dupe suffocated to death. Literally 10 seconds earlier and he would have lived.

It was at that point I wished jobs that someone is queued to do had their name on it so you know if someone is coming and who.

43 minutes ago, Whispershade said:

I had a frustrating moment where I realized a little late someone was trapped in some hydrogen.  Just needed to dig out 4 blocks to get him to some oxygen.  So I prioritize it and he keeps working on his level 5 priority job.  I move him to it and he digs out 2 tiles and another one nearby digs out 1 tile.  1 tile left and he's freed.  He refused to dig it, and went back to his other jobs.  I move him over there to force him to do it, not realizing that someone from on the other side of the colony was queued up to do it.  And of course that one got there just in time to finish digging as the dupe suffocated to death. Literally 10 seconds earlier and he would have lived.

It was at that point I wished jobs that someone is queued to do had their name on it so you know if someone is coming and who.

if you press pause you could have:

1. unassigned mining jobs to everyone except the trapped dupe
  2. assign mining job
  3. unpause the game and continue having fun

For me, as per OP

The most frustrating ones are those where dupes forget how to swim, once they notice they might need a breather. 
they might have 99% air left, but that 1% less is enough to suddenly forget. (at least, that is how it feels. exact % i do not know)

27 minutes ago, Whispershade said:

After prioritizing it - sound the red alert. That resets jobs, and the closest dupes should come to help.

Yeah, the major problem is that it occurred to me too late to realize why seemingly nobody was drilling out that last block. There were definitely things I could have done differently to save him, and I will definitely keep the red alert thing in mind. I didn't know it reset the task list. In general I just try to be smart about not letting them get themselves into situations where they'll get stuck.

I'm running 25 dupes and he's the first of my original 3 to die, so I was kind of bummed out.  He's my fifth one total to die.  All suffocation. :( But I'm coming up on 1500 cycles and as Farnsworth says, ""Science cannot move forward without heaps!"

Stinky was my least favorite of my original three anyway.

I wish there was a job "stealing" mechanic:

Dupe A can do jobs 1 and 2, dupe B can only do job 1. Dupe B is closer to the job 1 than dupe A. In this case it should be safe to let dupe B do the job 1, even if dupe A reserved it already.

Possibly with some idle timer threshold, to prevent casual job theft.

I wish Dupes would prioritize jobs by Priority AND PROXIMITY. Shouldn't be rocket science to implement this. A Dupe shouldn't come from the other end of the base to do a job, when there's another Dupe inches away from it, assigned to the same task, all other things being equal. I've a base with 10 Dupes, and ran into this often enough that I just assigned digging/building jobs separately to 2-3 Dupes.

They do actually prioritize proximity, it's just that they prioritize it individually and only if both jobs have equal priorities. You can see dupes pick the closest job when a dupe does some job that forces relocation (say, digging) then goes for a job with multiple choices (say, sweeping).

I've not only seen that exact behavior repeatedly, I had a case where a dupe did that repeatedly for the same spot. he'd get trapped in the block, I'd have another dupe free him, I'd re-queue the block, then the dupe would get trapped again.

I also had a spot where there was a room being dug below a current room and I wanted to add a gas permeable block in the floor of the existing room. When they put the gas permeable tile in, the dupe would literally climb down through the tile into the small void below to start digging. Of course he couldn't climb back out and started suffocating. I tried to make it work at least 3 times before giving up on the permeable tile until the room below was fully excavated.

Not so much with entombment, but I notice that a lot of the time dupes will clear the way for tile right before night and clear enough away that some unlucky dupe gets stuck there for the night.

Alternately, dupes occasionally forget how to breathe or use ladders

Dupe: I can't reach my bed.
Me: There...There's a ladder.
Dupe: That's not a ladder that's just a vertical fence
Me: FOR THE LOVE OF

Archived