I think I remember reading somewhere that researchers at MIT were trying to develop a way to extract Carbon Fibers from CO2 gas.

It would be nice if the air scrubbers, (or some other new device), produced carbon fibers that could be used as a filtration medium

No one uses carbon fiber for filtration. They use activated charcoal, a very different form of carbon.

Filtration works by microscopic holes in the materials blocking anything larger from going through, in the case of activated charcoal, it absorbs certain chemicals.

Neither of those can be done with carbon fibers. Raw carbon fibers without the epoxy would be too far apart and would be as effective as using a cloth for filtration, maybe it can filter out the large visible particles but that's not worth the costs of carbon fibers when you can use any old cloth for that. Carbon fiber with the epoxy would be so solid there would be no measurable flow through, making it completely useless as a filtration medium. 

Technically you can create any kind of carbon from CO2. It's literally nothing but carbon and oxygen so once you get them apart you can make anything with them.

The only problem is that they're very happy together. Getting them apart costs all the energy that was before acquired by putting them together. And any sort of catalyst or inventive design cannot get over that since that's law of conservation.

3 minutes ago, Kasuha said:

Technically you can create any kind of carbon from CO2. It's literally nothing but carbon and oxygen so once you get them apart you can make anything with them.

The only problem is that they're very happy together. Getting them apart costs all the energy that was before acquired by putting them together. And any sort of catalyst or inventive design cannot get over that since that's law of conservation.

Well yeah, but the op specifically mentioned carbon fibers and was responding to that.

I would be fine with a way to turn CO2 into pure carbon. But I think there should be at least an additional step to turn it into activated charcoal. It could be a filtration medium for both oxygen and water filters. But I'm not too sure if this should be the only medium for such filters, activated charcoal alone only filters out chemicals by absorption, it does not filter out particles so an additional particulate filter would be required in addition to the activated charcoal to make sense.

But that is prob too complicated for the game.

On 25/06/2017 at 4:57 PM, AlexRou said:

No one uses carbon fiber for filtration. They use activated charcoal, a very different form of carbon.

He never said to use Carbon fibre for filtration, He said it would be cool if you could extract Carbon Fibre from CO2 using a scrubber.

But speaking of activated charcoal it would be good if you could grow plants for wood that can be processed to give you this!

39 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

He never said to use Carbon fibre for filtration, He said it would be cool if you could extract Carbon Fibre from CO2 using a scrubber.

On 6/25/2017 at 10:25 AM, MidrealmDM said:

It would be nice if the air scrubbers, (or some other new device), produced carbon fibers that could be used as a filtration medium

Archived