Simplified Oxygen Purifier

8 minutes ago, Trego said:

a.  The air wouldn't stop in the pipe because it didn't stay cold, it would stop because of friction.

b.  in this game valves and bridges function like pumps, they have inputs and outputs and push the air out their output.  This is a design choice by Klei, so it's not cheaty to use it.

c.  Valves and bridges are unpowered, which is unrealistic, but Klei hasn't provided a powered, inline, alternative,so again, it's not cheaty to use what they have provided, especially when you're comparing it to a more realistic alternative which they have failed to provide.

Fair points! 

To bad his system will not work because he dont have enuf cooling from the pipes. And of course he trying to say he is using a old bug that dont work. And if he wants to prove it works just post the save file and you can prove me wrong.

I actually did a working system with new cooling bug. And I made a bigger system that almost can keep 2 pumps occupied. Producing 400kg of oxygen. 

ae39198eb4.jpg

5 hours ago, Trego said:

Valves and bridges are unpowered, which is unrealistic, but Klei hasn't provided a powered, inline, alternative,so again, it's not cheaty to use what they have provided, especially when you're comparing it to a more realistic alternative which they have failed to provide.

Yep, I used the latest patch and manage to cool 910 g/s of Oxygen with only 4 pumps and 4 "thermo regulator"! I have spent hours and this thing runs stable!

Yeah, around 230 g/s per regulator, that's what everyone else has been getting too.  Now of course you don't have a simplified condensor, though, you just have the exact same one as everyone else.

There's a thread, on the front page, that you've recently posted in, that has designs getting better than 230g/s, which were built in real bases, not in an idealized debug settings.  I suggest reading threads before posting in them, in the future.  Again, I'm stoked that you're having fun trying to achieve maximum efficiency for your design, but in a real base, you generally have a ton of power, and not all that much polluted O2; which means that people aren't spending the time in debug mode to design a perfect condenser, because it's not actually that helpful in a real base.  (Except Kasuha, I think Kasuha is about to convert an entire map of polluted o2 into normal o2 in an actual base, but that's the exception which proves the rule) It just seems like you're running a 100m dash vs someone who's playing golf, lazily strolling from the fairway to the green...and perhaps you don't see that you're on a golf course, not a racetrack.  I mean, what's the endgame here?  Someone else decides he wants to beat your "efficiency", he makes an even more unreasonably large heat exchanger between the outgoing o2 and incoming polluted o2 and reaches 320 g/s per regulator, what does that prove?  Now the oxygen is going out hotter, so maybe that's not actually better, maybe in a real base you'd prefer the oxygen going out a little colder.  You're digging a hole on your left and dumping the dirt back into the same hole on your right, and you're still on a golf course, which doesn't need a hole there anyway.   What about people who store the o2 in their bases in liquid form.  Obviously they can't use a heat exchanger at all, so that lowers their throughput, but they end up with liquid o2 and you don't.  That's apples and oranges, right?  It seems like if you spent more time playing ONI and less time messing about in debug, you'd already know that.

I'm not sure how familiar you are with how a valve functions, but almost all valves for both liquids and gasses do not use power. there is a small "ball" with a hole in it, inside of them, and when you turn the handle the ball is rotated. When the valve is open all the way, the hole is directly inline with the pipe, thus not restricting any air/liquid flow. and a pipe bridge would just be a bent piece of pipe the same diameter as the original pipes to go around an obstacle, thus not requiring power either. Now some high tech valves are ran automatically with computers, and those do require power, but if you watch, your dupes clearly interact with the valves you place in the game, thus "turning the handle" after you adjust it.

1 hour ago, Drach said:

I'm not sure how familiar you are with how a valve functions, but almost all valves for both liquids and gasses do not use power. there is a small "ball" with a hole in it, inside of them, and when you turn the handle the ball is rotated. When the valve is open all the way, the hole is directly inline with the pipe, thus not restricting any air/liquid flow. and a pipe bridge would just be a bent piece of pipe the same diameter as the original pipes to go around an obstacle, thus not requiring power either. Now some high tech valves are ran automatically with computers, and those do require power, but if you watch, your dupes clearly interact with the valves you place in the game, thus "turning the handle" after you adjust it.

I think the complaint about valves not using power was based on the fact that you can propel liquid or gas in pipes in closed cycle without pumps or filters in the way.

It's not fault of valves, though. You can "propel" the contents in pipes using bridges too. Or just by putting a filter output on one end and filter input on the other end, without powering them up. It's because in ONI, the pipe itself propels its contents, and you only pay power to do something with it, such as place it in the pipe, sort some element out, or process it to something else. Powered valve is not realistic but would make sense in that already unrealistic context. Except I'm pretty sure people would complain about powered bridges, so that would have to be implemented differently, by adding a genuine pipe crossing without adding inputs or outputs.

That would be a lot of work, it would break a lot of current designs and I believe there's not much point doing that.

Archived