High performance boiler design

41 minutes ago, Sevio said:

Okay, so it sounds like my initial thought was correct. When building a pipe system to heat up polluted water, it's best to have the pipes running through as many granite tiles as possible.

If you mean heating water in liquid pipes by water in other liquid pipes or by gas in gas pipes then probably yes. But since that puts two pipes in the way besides the granite, it's going to be very slow and inefficient. The fewer mediators between the heating and heated element the better.

@Kasuha

It's water dripping over granite in a snaking fashion, the polluted water is in pipes covering every granite tile and water tile. It was more a question of "drop all water in one big tank or try to maximize surface area of clean water to granite to make it easier for the granite pipes to absorb the heat.

7 minutes ago, Sevio said:

@Kasuha

It's water dripping over granite in a snaking fashion, the polluted water is in pipes covering every granite tile and water tile. It was more a question of "drop all water in one big tank or try to maximize surface area of clean water to granite to make it easier for the granite pipes to absorb the heat.

You're better off using abyssalite tiles and putting your pipes on the tile right above them. That way the exchange will be directly between the water and the pipe, it won't need to go through additional layer of granite.

That is true but the heat exchange seems to be limited by the number of pipes I can cram in the exchanger area, not so much how fast the heat can transfer to granite tiles (the tiles are pretty even in temperature with the water touching them), so I figured the higher conductivity of granite would help transfer it to the pipes faster. But maybe even that doesn't help much with the limits on heat transfer between a pipe and its contents as you explained in the Net Cooling thread.

I upgraded the heat exchanger pipes from granite to wolframite and it hasn't seemed to make any difference at all for the exit temperature of the polluted water.

On 6/26/2017 at 4:34 AM, RemyG said:

While it would result in needing a different arrangement of space wheezeworts work SIGNIFICANTLY better when chained in a staircase fashion so that the output gas from the top of one wheezewort is absorbed immediately into the input of the next wheezewort's bottom tile.

Hrrrm? What do you mean? Like a diagonal row of wheezeworts? And if so, which way should it slope? I do notice that wheezeworts seem to 'pump' gas to the upper left hand corner of any chamber they're enclosed in.

Okay this is the final evolution of the boiler design. Having cut away all the superfluous features and optimising the use of space. It outputs a solid 2,400kg of water/cycle at around 25-30 degrees and uses only 2 pumps and 2 tepedizers worth of power.

And by exploiting single tile exclusivity, I've managed to eliminate (for the most part) steam getting into the dirty water tank, further improving efficiency.

20170626205145_1.jpg

20170626205153_1.jpg

20170626205206_1.jpg

6 hours ago, Artizan said:

Hrrrm? What do you mean? Like a diagonal row of wheezeworts? And if so, which way should it slope? I do notice that wheezeworts seem to 'pump' gas to the upper left hand corner of any chamber they're enclosed in.

Wheezeworts themselves occupy two tiles.  Their bottom tile intakes and their top tile expels. Gasses themselves have a propensity to either go to the top left or bottom right. Heat also wants to migrate down and cold up. So to maximize transfer you want the cold thing over the hot thing (usually).

On 6/27/2017 at 3:33 AM, Artizan said:

Yes, diagonally. Gases tend to gravitate to the right so chaining works best that way but there is no issues going left either. They also will over pressurize the tile at the end of the chain, creating a sort of air current flowing back to the start of the chain if left open. They can take in 1kg of gas per tick, making them twice as efficient as a gas pump

Archived