Gas Pumps over Electrolyzers in small room

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but my searches are not quite turning up what I hoped for. I have a small room with an electrolyzer in it and a couple gas pumps above it. Not enough room for the Hydrogen and Oxygen to properly separate.

The gas pumps are pumping these little packets of Oxygen, then some Hydrogen, and getting blocked (they are operating intermittently), as I pump these gases together into a single pipe to pass through a filter.

The whole system is operating well below peak efficiency (the Electrolyzer is often at max pressure). I've checked the out vents and Hydrogen generator, they are fine. Pretty sure it's the game's gas packet system / gas pump design.

So, any recommendations? Is doing this in a little room not the best approach (I should just run the Electrolyzer in my base and catch the Hydrogen in the roof?)

you probably need a longer run of pipe before merging them. you need a bit of a buffer since different elements cant merge with each other... so if you only have like 2 or 3 segments of pipe hydrogen will end up delaying oxygen packets long enough to block the gas pump.

Open air electrolyzers are much more efficient. you only need one pump to handle hydrogen for every 4 or 5 elecrolyzers that way

Post a pic of your gas setup, so we can better assess the problem.

- It could be that the places were you are pumping gases to are over pressurized thus causing a blockage. Check your vents.

- Merging lines could cause a bottleneck. You might have to add a Valve or Atmo Switch to Pumps to regulate the flow.

You could use the middle or right design I screenshotted in this post for your electrolyzer. It naturally separates the hydrogen from the oxygen after a little bit of pumping and with the open version you can avoid having to pump any oxygen altogether.

A couple posts below that is a design that uses wheezeworts to both cool the oxygen coming out and increase electrolyzer throughput.

12 hours ago, Townkill said:

you probably need a longer run of pipe before merging them. you need a bit of a buffer since different elements cant merge with each other... so if you only have like 2 or 3 segments of pipe hydrogen will end up delaying oxygen packets long enough to block the gas pump.

This was definetly part of the problem. I tested longer runs before joining the pipes and it works better. Still some blocking, looks like I'll need more filters to avoid the bottleneck completely.

In the other thread a later reply quoted, I found someone who  reminded me it doesn't have to be perfect to still work well (since the things don't use power when they are off). Thanks for the help, I'll mess around with it some more

Archived