Is ice bugged?

Polluted ice, when stored underwater, melts rather quickly.

Clean ice, when stored underwater, remains ice, and the temperature of the ice barely changes over 30+ cycles.

Is this  bug or just an odd implementation of temperature mechanics?

Actually, ice does melt over time, I'm at cycle +250 I filled two storage compactors placed 4 tiles underwater with only "liquifiable : ice", the source of the water is from the steam geyser that I let fall from a waterfall five of six levels above. It takes a while, I didn't count how many cycles but the temperature of the ice decreases about -0.1 to -0.3 °C per cycle. I think after around 70 or 80 cycles or maybe slightly more, 40 000 kg of ice have melted. I'm not certain if the temperature of the surrounding water is a factor but it's around 22 to 28 °C (quite cold considering it's from a steam geyser but it's located just above an Ice Biome so it cools down very quick and the waterfall helps).

10 hours ago, Sanphesta said:

Polluted ice, when stored underwater, melts rather quickly.

Clean ice, when stored underwater, remains ice, and the temperature of the ice barely changes over 30+ cycles.

Is this  bug or just an odd implementation of temperature mechanics?

Probably has more to do with the amount of ice that's packed into the storage container.  Remember that the compactor can store 20,000Kg of anything in it.  20,000Kg of ice is worth, oh, 20 tiles of water.  As many of us know, cooling and heating any amount of water can be troublesome!

More over, that 20 tiles worth of water is now crammed into a tiny 2 by 1 box, made out of minerals that usually don't have much thermal conductivity to begin with.  And, if you accidentally made the storage compactor out of abyssalite, you're going to be waiting for a long.. long time for that stuff to melt.  Having the compactor dump the ice out would make it melt faster, but, it'll still be slow.

Archived