Collection of Observations and Feedback after 700+ hours

Loving the game. Was excited for it from the first trailer. I've played for quite a few hours and have some observations and feedback items. I haven't checked if they've been covered elsewhere, this is just my 2 cents (AU-219784).

- I appreciate the shift key modifier to make straight pipes etc, but I think it should be shift key to Not do straight pipes. That way I don't have to touch the keyboard most of the time, to do what I want to do most of the time. How often do you not want straight runs? I.E. to do a pipe run with kink in the middle is currently click-shift-drag, click-shift-drag, click-shift-drag. Two-handed operation. It could be click-drag, click-drag, click-drag. I spend too much time undoing incorrect deviations from straightness because I couldn't be bothered to put my coffee down to hold shift.

- I love that I can over-commit a resource and continue a pipe run when I've run out of that material. I don't like that it very quietly selects another material for the next pipe run and doesn't allow me to select a material that I don't have. That's my problem. I want to be able to sit and design and paint out what I want, then go off and find the resources I need if I don't have enough. Rather than having to redraw a load of stuff, or delay drawing it, because I don't have the material I want to use.

- The rebuild behaviour is inconsistent. I'd like to always be able to rebuild pipes/tiles/wires with a new material without having to destroy them first. Seems reasonable that I should be able to do that. It works in some cases.

- Love the new UI functionality around auto-selecting the right stuff to modify, like X-F7 gets me to just deleting gas pipes. There's a little inconsistency in what right-click does. Sometimes it closes the overlay, sometimes it deselects the tool. I'd like it to close the overlay last, regardless of how I came to be there. So in all cases I can continue to watch and work in the same overlay, build pipes, delete pipes, cancel stuff etc, all while staying in the same overlay and repeatedly using right-click to deselect the last tool I used. I currently have to right-click a few times to get rid of tools, then re-enter the overlay to watch the results of what I just did.

- All slider settings need to have typed input possibility or button click adjustment. Yes they do. I've seen some dev discussion on this, 'why do you need exact control', 'yah OCD whatever' etc. You can't have plants with a 4 degree preferred temperature range, then not give exact control, s'not fair. I have a number of thermo sensors in a system. I have them set to 19.2, 19.8, 20.1 and 20.2 because after 5 minutes of messing around with each one (and getting a hand cramp), that's as close as I can get them to each other. I want them all the same. Not to mention the 0.1 degree tweaking I'd love to be able to do in other systems to try to find the sweet spot for something or other. That said, if you're married to the idea of sliders, round 'em to integers.

- All my painstakingly relocated Morbs died without notification. I assume it was temperature. Would have been nice to be warned. I love the fish. I want more fish, and fish babies.

- Thank god for wheezeworts. I saw someone suggest getting rid of them. I vote no. They're essential for the heat economy of the game, as gas and steam geysers, every machine, and the dupes themselves all add heat. It's gotta drain out somewhere.

- Would be nice to have some variation in the masterpieces and sculptures. I am actually a little ambivalent on this point though as it is nice have order and symmetry so variation possibility would be cool if I could tell the dupe what to attempt to create. Like, do me four mona lisa's here and two haywain's there.

- I'd quite like a 'call me to this spot in x minutes' function. Like there was in Settlers (remember that?).

- Might be nice to have a gas type sensor. Like the atmo switch, but with a selectable gas, like CO2. As in, run this scrubber when the CO2 pressure is above X.

- 'Copy settings' is awesome. I'd like to be able to paint them onto un-built buildings, but I can see why you might not want to do that.

- I'd like mechanized airlocks to be switchable by thermo/hydro/atmo sensors, so I can close the door when liquid pressure reaches X etc.

- I'd like gym facilities to increase the strength (carrying capacity) of dupes and a chillout room for destressing. Also maybe a library>intelligence>increased likelihood of doing sensible things on your own mechanic. Like sweeping the same material as you've been asked to that's right next to the one you were asked to sweep that they sometimes seem to do, or not going to sleep in the coldest flippin' room available, or a small tinkering buff etc.

- It would be super nice if the closest, idle, qualified dupe would get to work on the ting I just ordered that he's standing right next to.

- I'd like to be able to cultivate Briar seeds and Thimble reeds such that I can increase the number of seeds available. They're currently limited to what you can find.

- I imagine you have further plans for cooking. It's currently not worth it.

I'm really hoping you have great plans for what's (booming voice) Beyond the Neutronium. Maybe I have to put a huge workforce onto an epic work schedule using masses of resources to create a spaceship to escape this infernal rock...? Or something. Maybe there's a rare dupe with a special neutronium-weakness-detecting-and-mining ability that I have to watch out for if I ever plan to break through to the surface. Given what you did with DS, I suspect you have some surprises for us. I can't wait.

Some buggy type observations:

- Plants on autoharvest don't do so. I currently have to come back to the farm and hit T or stroke the plants with my mouse to get them to complete their current growth cycle and get harvested. I wanted a dedicated gardener continually harvesting on his own. Instead it's all hands to the mealworms when I remember to go back and harvest. Meh, maybe that's more realistic (in Victorian times). I do quite like stroking the plants. Maybe they could get a little buff from being stroked, boost the yield a tiny bit for the early days when you feel like you're actually still playing Don't Starve. That's actually realistic. Some old Chinese villager guy boosted the yield of high-tech hydroponically grown rice by 'stressing' them with a stick.

- Gas pipe bridges currently appear in the foreground of showers. 

- Gas pumps still favour the bottom left corner. They create a vacuum area directly below and directly to the left of the bottom left corner.

- Catalina specifically seems to love being in the rejuvenator too much. She doesn't leave when she's at 100% health. On one occasion the game crashed when I assigned it to someone else while she was in there. Stroppy Catalina.

- Doors sometimes ignore the first click to change their status.

- I had a gas geyser half under the edge of the neutronium, which prevented it from venting. 

- Thermo switch GUI says 'Pressure Threshold'

- Please do something about scrolling over to the right in material selection. It's unpolished and fiddly. 

- Buildings sometimes get flooded by a few grams of liquid. Sometimes they're just fine in hundreds of Kgs of liquid.

- Clothing is essentially unusable at the moment. It's so bugged I can't even report a pattern of bad behaviour. Invisible clothes, assigned but not really, same dupe repeatedly picking up clothing etc.

- I have liquid oxygen at -185C transforming into polluted water at +29C inside an insulated pipe. It was a new pipe. Rebuilding fixed it.

- The 'move to' cursor seems to be misaligned. It's tricky to point to the square I want them to move to. Also I'd like the dupe dialogue to not disappear when I use 'move to'.

- Sleetwheat grain can't be (de)selected in the ration boxes, but will still get put there.

- I can build a heavi-watt wire then put a door over it, but not vice-versa. Same goes for gas pipe bridges over heavi-watt wires. Intentional? Also sometimes the wire shows 'invalid build location' if I deleted a door at that location. Cancel wire and rebuild clears it.

54 minutes ago, unixanalyst said:

- The rebuild behaviour is inconsistent. I'd like to always be able to rebuild pipes/tiles/wires with a new material without having to destroy them first. Seems reasonable that I should be able to do that. It works in some cases.

The only thing that can be rebuilt are tiles and you don't want to do that since you lose the material used to build the original tile. If you deconstruct, then build you get the original material back.

57 minutes ago, unixanalyst said:

- It would be super nice if the closest, idle, qualified dupe would get to work on the ting I just ordered that he's standing right next to.

Most of the time, all dupes are busy. When one finishes the job, he's usually the only dupe in the whole map who has nothing to do and he grabs the "best" job he can do. That means, job with highest priority (the numeric one) and subpriority (the job type one, see order in jobs menu). When multiple jobs at highest priority are available, he picks the closest one.

That usually means your newly issued dig job at very distant end of the base will be grabbed by a random dupe that just finished his job at a random place in the map, and he'll reserve it for himself, completely ignoring rights of the dupe that's standing right next to the site and will be done with his own job in two seconds.

1 hour ago, unixanalyst said:

- I imagine you have further plans for cooking. It's currently not worth it.

I think it's very worth it if you get far enough with your base that your duplicants' food quality expectation gets to Standard.

- Plants on autoharvest don't do so. I currently have to come back to the farm and hit T or stroke the plants with my mouse to get them to complete their current growth cycle and get harvested.

That feels like you may not have your game properly updated or something. Hitting T now gets you to harvest overlay where the only thing you do is set up which plants are on autoharvest and which are not.

However plants reset their autoharvest setting after being planted or sprouting from seeds. Wild have autoharvest off, potted have it on. Maybe you're using wild plants?

- Sleetwheat grain can't be (de)selected in the ration boxes, but will still get put there.

You can deselect the whole "food ingredient" category, then only select pincha peppernut

I can build a heavi-watt wire then put a door over it, but not vice-versa.

That's actually a bug. You shouldn't be able to draw heavy wire through a wall or door. You can use wire bridge for that, though.

On 2017-6-19 at 4:04 PM, Kasuha said:

The only thing that can be rebuilt are tiles and you don't want to do that since you lose the material used to build the original tile. If you deconstruct, then build you get the original material back.

You can also build insulated pipe (gas and liquid) over uninsulated pipe. Then uninsulated back over that (or vice-versa), to effectively change the material used without spilling the contents or interrupting the flow. Regarding losing the original materials, sometimes it's worth it. Like when you're replacing the material of a liquid tank and want to minimise leakage during the replacement, or want to replace a load of stuff without forgetting how you had it set up, just paint over what's there.

Most of the time, all dupes are busy. When one finishes the job, he's usually the only dupe in the whole map who has nothing to do and he grabs the "best" job he can do. That means, job with highest priority (the numeric one) and subpriority (the job type one, see order in jobs menu). When multiple jobs at highest priority are available, he picks the closest one.

That usually means your newly issued dig job at very distant end of the base will be grabbed by a random dupe that just finished his job at a random place in the map, and he'll reserve it for himself, completely ignoring rights of the dupe that's standing right next to the site and will be done with his own job in two seconds.

I totally get that it's random dupe allocation, job priority lists and they do the nearest one. I was thinking it'd be nice if the random allocation of an idle dupe was tweaked such that proximity was taken into account. I've had 9 already idle dupes, several of which are kicking their heels nearby, and still waited for others to come from miles away.

I think it's very worth it if you get far enough with your base that your duplicants' food quality expectation gets to Standard.

Cycle 1797. All dupes' food quality expectations are Standard. Stress is 0%

That feels like you may not have your game properly updated or something. Hitting T now gets you to harvest overlay where the only thing you do is set up which plants are on autoharvest and which are not.

However plants reset their autoharvest setting after being planted or sprouting from seeds. Wild have autoharvest off, potted have it on. Maybe you're using wild plants?

AU-219784. Hydroponic tiles in a temperature and pressure controlled insulated chamber. I get excellent yields on almost all plants almost all of the time. Over 5000 mealwood seeds in storage. T does work, I use it to get the plants to 'wake up' and realise that they've finished growing. Otherwise they sit there not being harvested. The moment I press T, they spring up and the dupes rush in to harvest them. And yep, I've used T to set them all to priority 8 for autoharvest. Basically, if I spend too long working away from the farm, nothing gets harvested. If I spend too long afk, everyone starves to death. There's plenty of food as long as I periodically go back and press T. I don't do any more than that now, just T then escape. I occasionally check the priorities randomly, they're always still on 8. I figured that had therefore been fixed.

(UPDATE) The game has updated to AU-220294. The not-finishing-growing problem persists. https://imgur.com/gallery/5vRMQ

(UPDATE) OK, something has changed. The plants are definitely being harvested off screen now. Brilliant. I think maybe just the existing batch post-update behaved in the old manner. Now they seem to work fine.

(UPDATE) No, sorry. They don't autoharvest. Stay away for a while and nothing gets touched. Final update on this.

You can deselect the whole "food ingredient" category, then only select pincha peppernut

Yep. Doesn't interfere, I just stick em in a compacter now with a higher priority than the ration boxes. Just thought you'd want to know.

That's actually a bug. You shouldn't be able to draw heavy wire through a wall or door. You can use wire bridge for that, though.

Good to know. I'll switch to wire bridges immediately so I'm not exploiting. I didn't try them coz they look too flimsy and are always what burn out if you overload your grid. And just to be clear, you can't draw a heavy wire through a door, you can however place a door on a heavy wire.

99% of all the games bugs have sprung from incomplete and toggling percentiles.

for instance whenadupe reaches 50% on the massager and gets interupted by a power brown out. and the plants are actually creating enough food by a trainwreck of a glitch- if they pass certain maturity levels fast enough and or run into a patch of bad pressure at a mature level, they rapidly toggle maturity levels causing it to drop its seed (or direct kalorie source in the case of mealwood) Directly on the ground. if the game used rounding and clamping such as that featured in all high speed games on playstation 2 -kinetica- for instance, then the pipe line would clear out like canola oil in burritoes.

geniusthemaster aka gunmaker aka hyperdyne aka gefluzafix

Archived