Filtration Medium gone

I am on cycle 256, and I am digging tunnels all over and its starting to look like an ant colony system, just so I could find SAND!

What do you do about filtration medium when you run out of a supply of sand that is required to keep your pollution down?

2 minutes ago, marcjhune22 said:

How do you use your sand? I'm on cycle 300 and i have tons of sand to spare. I mainly use sand for air deodorizer and nothing else.

I have mined out 2 swamp biomes now, and it took a lot of deodorizers to clean it up.

I just found a patch way off the beaten path, so now I am back up to 20,000, but it seems to go fast, when you have 10 or so deodorizers almost full time in polluted gas.

I also, like to keep one of them at every door or stair junction in my base, just to catch any gas that might trickle in some how.

6 minutes ago, marcjhune22 said:

How do you use your sand? I'm on cycle 300 and i have tons of sand to spare. I mainly use sand for air deodorizer and nothing else.

https://gyazo.com/29867121010c73b913031c9ada22c9b8

Here is a Gyazo Gif showing my whole base and all the binomes around me.

My base is basically blocked on all sides by slime.

The area in the bottom right was pretty much all slime and polluted water area.

I started digging this area out to be my industry area where I generate all natural gas and fertilizer and slime converters.

But its been about a 40 cycle quest now just to get the polluted air under control.

I think using deodorizers when clearing swamp biomes is waste of sand. Send the polluted oxygen to pufts (collect slime and convert it to algae) or build an oxygen condenser. For final round of cleaning, fill the area with carbon dioxide and remove other gases, then replace it with clean oxygen and you're done.

You don't really need to deodorize everything. The diseases sound scary, but their effects are weak and can be ignored just fine. Faster rot can be prevented by putting food in carbon dioxide pits, which keeps it from rotting better than refrigeration.

Sand is almost non-renewable and there is no way to get the massive amounts of it you'd need to clean up slime biomes. To clean one tile of normal pressure (2kg) polluted oxygen, you need 20kg of sand. Polluted oxygen in polluted water pockets is often pressurized to 8kg/tile or even 50kg/tile. Every polluted oxygen pocket you open during exploration most likely brings more pollution than sand you get in the end.

If you really, really want that sand, you could dig straight down, reach magma or gas phosphorus, then use it to "bake" dirt - dirt doesn't melt, but instead changes into sand. Heated slime and fertilizer changes into dirt and then can change into sand.

In precisely that situation, I decided to start over and not use so much sand next time. I made two changes:

1. I stopped using water purifiers. I tamed a steam geyser early, to get an effectively infinite supply of fresh water, and then just dumped polluted water in large reservoirs outside my main base instead of recycling it.

2. I stopped cleaning vast quantities of polluted oxygen. I still run deodorizers inside the main base, to tidy up the trace amounts of polluted O2 that get created in there, but I no longer spend sand to clean up hundreds of kgs of polluted O2. I just shove/pump the polluted air out of my way, and tolerate a fair amount of outside-the-base exposure to the stuff. It doesn't seem to be all that harmful.

My sand usage is way down. Couldn't tell you exactly how much I'm using, but it's so little that I expect I won't run out until long after the next save-breaking patch.

20 hours ago, MythN7 said:

I am on cycle 256, and I am digging tunnels all over and its starting to look like an ant colony system, just so I could find SAND!

What do you do about filtration medium when you run out of a supply of sand that is required to keep your pollution down?

Funny enough. The only way to destroy polluted oxygen is to deodorize it or let a Puft eat it.
Duplicants can't breathe it to destroy it. They just think they can.

Yes you can liquefy it, but that is a mega project. Not an average solution.

On 19 Июнь 2017 г. at 7:58 PM, Risu said:

Wait, what?? Do you mean that polluted oxygen doesn't get used up, when dupes breathe it?

Doesn't seem right to me. It's like, you could pollute your entire base and then you would have never need to generate any oxygen, at all. :D
Just scrub the CO2

On 6/19/2017 at 0:58 PM, Risu said:

Funny enough. The only way to destroy polluted oxygen is to deodorize it or let a Puft eat it.

Yes you can liquefy it, but that is a mega project. Not an average solution.

I'm quite confused about your statement as well, can you give a more detailed explanation?

6 hours ago, Nidhoggur said:

Wait, what?? Do you mean that polluted oxygen doesn't get used up, when dupes breathe it?

Doesn't seem right to me. It's like, you could pollute your entire base and then you would have never need to generate any oxygen, at all. :D
Just scrub the CO2

It's a bug.  Will be fixed in the next major update from what the Devs said.  But yeah, more or less.  

6 hours ago, The Flying Fox said:

It's a bug.  Will be fixed in the next major update from what the Devs said.  But yeah, more or less.  

Ok. Thanks for the info. I didn't know that. :D

Might as well cut on deoxydizers now ;)

Archived