Does polluted water and water mix?

I have this one geyser that has polluted water. Then I noticed that at some point, when that geyser produces water, the water will float at the top of the polluted water then given sometime it will eventually mix with the polluted water. 

Untitled.png

Yes, that is correct.  I believe someone found out that if water is surrounded on three sides by polluted water, it'll change eventually to polluted water.  Although, looking at the picture and what you said, is that geyser still producing water even though it's covered up by the polluted water?  If so, that's veeeery interesting..!

Also, I've definitely noticed that, on a more limited scale, that oxygen will turn to polluted oxygen at some point.  I had one room in a rock biome with a deoxylzyer which I had producing air for Dupes.  Once they dug it out the way I wanted I pretty much closed it up.  I distinctively recall leaving it with a cloud of oxygen in the room and then coming back some time later and it was all gone.   There was some morbs in the bottom of the room happily munching on the CO2 and Chlorine there, so the cloud of Polluted Oxygen has been getting bigger and bigger over time.

14 minutes ago, The Flying Fox said:

Although, looking at the picture and what you said, is that geyser still producing water even though it's covered up by the polluted water?  If so, that's veeeery interesting..!

It says that it is over pressurized but it still produced water. Maybe, it is because of that gold amalgam that is partially covering it. Now I am afraid to excavate that particular geyser as it may well flood my base

13 minutes ago, marcjhune22 said:

It says that it is over pressurized but it still produced water. Maybe, it is because of that gold amalgam that is partially covering it. Now I am afraid to excavate that particular geyser as it may well flood my base

Polluted water has lower "density" than clean water, there's only 800 kg per tile (increases with depth but not that fast). Liquid vents often don't get blocked even when they're completely flooded under polluted water. I guess that's the case with the geyser, too - it doesn't produce steam anymore but still adds water because it's not over pressure for water production.

2 hours ago, Kasuha said:

Polluted water has lower "density" than clean water, there's only 800 kg per tile (increases with depth but not that fast). Liquid vents often don't get blocked even when they're completely flooded under polluted water. I guess that's the case with the geyser, too - it doesn't produce steam anymore but still adds water because it's not over pressure for water production.

Geysers go overpressure at 5 kg so that can't be it.
Liquid vents however go overpressure at 1000 kg. Probably should fix that.

Well, I tested this in debug mode, no matter what I did, I was not able to get a geyser to replicate it.  Filled it with polluted water, partially covered it with natural mineral tiles, sprinkled some water on the top.  No matter what, it wouldn't continue to pump out water as long as it was covered some how.20170618222324_1.jpg

And yet, the geyser above, which is partially covered by natural tiles, continued to create until that pocket was filled up.  Huh.. perhaps the geysers don't check or just ignore any tiles that are covering them up at map generation, but anything added afterward stops it.  

On another note, I was to create an infinite polluted water generator, although it's a little.. morbid :D

20170618223215_1.jpg

I recall this was hinted at, playfully, in one of the Dev streams before the AU update came out and it does work.  Dead Dupes will replenish any polluted water that's used up near them.  :p  

8 hours ago, The Flying Fox said:

Well, I tested this in debug mode, no matter what I did, I was not able to get a geyser to replicate it.  Filled it with polluted water, partially covered it with natural mineral tiles, sprinkled some water on the top.  No matter what, it wouldn't continue to pump out water as long as it was covered some how.20170618222324_1.jpg

And yet, the geyser above, which is partially covered by natural tiles, continued to create until that pocket was filled up.  Huh.. perhaps the geysers don't check or just ignore any tiles that are covering them up at map generation, but anything added afterward stops it.  

Perhaps. Did the polluted water and water mix in the geyser below? Mine seems to have destroyed quite a bit of natural tiles, mainly the slime.

8 hours ago, The Flying Fox said:

On another note, I was to create an infinite polluted water generator, although it's a little.. morbid :D

20170618223215_1.jpg

I recall this was hinted at, playfully, in one of the Dev streams before the AU update came out and it does work.  Dead Dupes will replenish any polluted water that's used up near them.  :p  

That is pretty brutal. *pun intended*

On 6/19/2017 at 3:37 AM, Kasuha said:

Polluted water has lower "density" than clean water, there's only 800 kg per tile (increases with depth but not that fast)

Opened that geyser, well here is the outcome. So much polluted water

Untitled.png

Well, at least you'll have plenty of polluted water for peppernuts for a while, maybe forever as long that geyser keeps spitting out water despite being covered.  That could certainly be an issue though, if you can't use the polluted water fast enough...  I can only imagine how much polluted oxygen is in those two pockets above the original area.  It must be enormous!  :D

This reminds me of one of my natural gas geysers, before they fixed them over-pressurizing.  It was almost completely covered and continued to spit out all of its gas into one tile.  It.. was many thousands of KGs of gas before I popped it.20170619152222_1.jpg

This room (The left part of it) started out at like, uhhh, 257Kgs per-tile when I originally opened it up?  There was -that- much gas.

On 19 Июнь 2017 г. at 6:37 AM, The Flying Fox said:

Haha, quite gruesome. :D
By the way, how many farms do you have that you need to generate polluted water besides what air scrubbers and natural gas generators produce?

Well, the pincha pepper plants require 58.3~ g/s of polluted water (35Kg/per cycle) and you need quite a few of them per-Dupe since they grow oh-so slowly.  That can be quite a lot of polluted water.  70 of them is over 4Kg/s.  The Natural Gas Gen only produces enough polluted water for basically 1 Pincha and some change.

So, unless you have some combination of 4 showers/air scrubbers running nearly full time with that many plants, then eventually you'll run out.  To be fair, I'm probably over-producing on the pinchas, at the moment but at least I'm getting rid of all the pockets of polluted water this map tossed at me.

On 6/18/2017 at 11:37 PM, The Flying Fox said:

I noticed this in the code. As far as I can tell, it should work to convert ANY liquid into polluted water, even magma.

Edit: Aww, that would've been good fun. But I tested it and then found the place it was checking for water.

3 minutes ago, rezecib said:

I noticed this in the code. As far as I can tell, it should work to convert ANY liquid into polluted water, even magma.

I wonder when will someone notice that it destroys their liquid oxygen production.

32 minutes ago, TheBirch said:

I had a fun discovery with water and poluted water not mixing at all, several tons of poluted water held back by grams of water.

In my case the water is submerge in the polluted water. After a while the water floats to the top of the polluted water. And then it completely mixes with the polluted water creating those horrendous amounts of polluted water

Archived