Food making needs way to much micro management.

The cooking stations need way to much hands on attention compared to the rest of the game.

Some suggestions to improve this.

1=only show avail Kal in the main UI from foods you have in stock that the dups are actually able / set allowed to eat. (many items that are only ingredients or food set to not eatable like the meal lice or mushbar show up as food, making me think my 60k Kal is good, but then i get starving blips)

2=if you have more than 1 food in the crafting Que, and its missing mats, can you have it so that it moves that task to the end of the line. (this would allow 1 station to cycle through a few foods set to continue.)

3=can you set the food when on continue so that it will count as the station is disabled while your stock on  that meal type is greater than X value.

4=can you make a farming machine that can turn the harvest plant types into a seed of that type, so you can keep getting foods at a poor efficiency from standard yields.  (this suggestion is more for the very late game where you need those peppernuts for almost all foods that meet the dups quality need.

5=can you show the KG on the food not just the Kal, or change the fridge / ration box to show Kal limit, as its hard to know what your stocking rates are when one is by KG and one is by Kal.

Thanks

Just now, MythN7 said:

1=only show avail Kal in the main UI from foods you have in stock that the dups are actually able / set allowed to eat.

I would suggest differently - dupes will only follow their consumables settings until they're starving. Then they'll eat anything.

There's already a 'food out of reach' notice when they run out of food they're allowed to eat, so there is an indication, although quiet. The Starvation is an alarm, so if you get that, you cen go to consumables and enable your low quality reserves. There's not much other reason to keep them anyway.

5 minutes ago, MythN7 said:

5=can you show the KG on the food not just the Kal

AFAIK they're the same.

1=only show avail Kal in the main UI from foods you have in stock that the dups are actually able / set allowed to eat.

Absolutely.

"What do you mean 'starving', I have 32000 kcal!... Oh. It's all muckroots."

2=if you have more than 1 food in the crafting Que, and its missing mats, can you have it so that it moves that task to the end of the line. (this would allow 1 station to cycle through a few foods set to continue.)

Stonehearth does this very nicely.

3=can you set the food when on continue so that it will count as the station is disabled while your stock on  that meal type is greater than X value.

Stonehearth also does this very nicely.

+1 on most of your suggestions.

I've gotten food production almost completely hands free, but it took some doing.

1. forget meal lice, jump straight from raw mushbars to frost buns, to pepper bread and finally stuffed berries / salsa later on.

2. stagger the planting of your sleet wheat. The first run I took at this, I worked backwards from the target of 10 dupes x 1 pepper bread per day, which meant planting 4 seeds every 2nd day for 20 days, and put freezers sitting unpowered in an -20C area between the farms and cooking stations. Once this was done, I could set the planter box and fridge priority 1 higher than the cooking station priority, and production of frost buns becomes constant and automatic. In practice, this was overkill and I could have used fewer planters, and/or fewer harvest days in the 20 day cycle. (occasional good yields, other food types, and sitting on frostbuns for a while all meant extra, unused production) I ended up with around 360,000 kcal before it started going off, and settled to a constant rolling reserve of around 100,00 kCal

3. Only let one dupe cook and harvest, and they'll get very efficient. Lock the others out of the sleet farm completely with a mechanised airlock. I'm even considering giving my farmer / chef a warm sweater instead of a snazzy suit and moving his cot next to the kitchen.

4. Once ready for pepper bread, to solve problem 2, I kept the first cooking station as frost buns only and made a 2nd cooking station next to it at a higher priority for pepper bread only.

On 6/17/2017 at 1:19 PM, MythN7 said:

The cooking stations need way to much hands on attention compared to the rest of the game.

I would like to see it move a recipe to the end of the line after it is crafted as well.

So that if you have more than one continuous recipes, after completing recipe #1, it would then be moved to the end of the que and #2 would become the new #1, etc. Allowing the station to craft multiple dishes without player management. You could control ratios of food by putting some continuously in the que more than once.
And, as you said, if a recipe can't be crafted, it is moved to the end without being crated.

I'm not sure what should happen if there are multiple recipes where they all could not be crafted for some reason.

Archived