How to lower air temperature?

Casual player here. I've been learning something new in each new colony but this one is bugging my mind. The temperature in the air is close to 40º, some places even higher. I believe this is causing some things like electricity to malfunction. I suspect that this heat is caused by the natural gas pipeline that I created to generate energy but I'm not sure about it. It can also be caused by the hydrogen generators because I'm pumping the excess oxygen generated by the electrolyzers in order to reduce the pressure in those rooms but I think that the oxygen is probably too hot and that is heating everything.

I tried to create some thermo regulators that cool the oxygen before sending it to  other rooms but I feel that it might be to late.

Any ideas would be very welcome.

Assuming you've got all the wheezeworts planted and can't spare duplicants for hydrofans, you still probably have a lot of room for improvement:

Do not pipe gas around the base (except maybe in abyssalite pipes) - if you're getting it from the geyser, it's almost hot enough to boil water. Do not pipe hydrogen you want to burn around either - it should be 80 degrees or so. Encase all "hot" buildings in abyssalite and only cool them through their inputs and outputs.

Note that Electrolyzer doesn't need any cooling: it will cool itself with its output gases. It also doesn't need any pre-cooling of water, as it has a set output temperature. Both natural gas and hydrogen generator can be cooled with its inputs: gas from geysers is ~100 degrees Celsius, while hydrogen from electrolyzer is much cooler than that, meaning with good pipe design, your generators will never overheat despite not outputting any heat.

You probably use a lot of hot water from geysers too. Stop farming Berries, mass farm Sleet Grain in the nearest cold biome that is still cold, let your dupes stay grimy, and use outhouses instead of lavatories, and your water use should drop and with it the huge temperature spike it brings.

I'm pretty sure it is possible to infinitely maintain negative entropy rate in a closed system in ONI, even without wheezeworts, hydrofans and voids. Carnot is doing cycles in his grave.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like gasses cooled by thermo regulators have a minimal effect on the air output by the vents? I recently scrapped a project I was working on to cool the air via thermo regulators because the air around them stayed a higher temperature. It was taking too much energy, so I am converting my sleet wheat farm to use wheezeworts instead.

2 hours ago, CobraA1 said:

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like gasses cooled by thermo regulators have a minimal effect on the air output by the vents? I recently scrapped a project I was working on to cool the air via thermo regulators because the air around them stayed a higher temperature. It was taking too much energy, so I am converting my sleet wheat farm to use wheezeworts instead.

I noticed that effect as well with the vents.  Although, in my case, it was the opposite.  I was piping hot oxygen from an electrolyzer that was running at max output, so the oxygen getting to the pumps was around 50-55c which I was just pumping straight into my base for a while.  :D  Yet, the temperatures inside the base didn't seem to increase like you'd expect it too.  Sure, the base was, in fact, steadily getting hotter, but it took a good long number of cycles to do so.  I band-aided the problem by sticking a bunch of wheezeworts directly under the vents.  Now its sweater weather!  20170616201138_1.jpg

The two main reasons for this problem are:

1) The stuff in your base has enormous thermal capacity in comparison to the incoming oxygen.  So, it can soak up a lot of heat, even in the small area near the vents.  Or, it can take a long time for temperate air created by the regulators to cool the base.

2)  Dupes are heat destroying machines.  They take in 100g/s of oxygen, and only create 2g/s of CO2 in its place.  Not only does that oxygen just disappear when they breathe it, but also its heat as well.  I'd imagine that 2 grams of CO2 they make is at body temperature, too.

5 hours ago, Coolthulhu said:

Assuming you've got all the wheezeworts planted and can't spare duplicants for hydrofans, you still probably have a lot of room for improvement:

Do not pipe gas around the base (except maybe in abyssalite pipes) - if you're getting it from the geyser, it's almost hot enough to boil water. Do not pipe hydrogen you want to burn around either - it should be 80 degrees or so. Encase all "hot" buildings in abyssalite and only cool them through their inputs and outputs.

Note that Electrolyzer doesn't need any cooling: it will cool itself with its output gases. It also doesn't need any pre-cooling of water, as it has a set output temperature. Both natural gas and hydrogen generator can be cooled with its inputs: gas from geysers is ~100 degrees Celsius, while hydrogen from electrolyzer is much cooler than that, meaning with good pipe design, your generators will never overheat despite not outputting any heat.

You probably use a lot of hot water from geysers too. Stop farming Berries, mass farm Sleet Grain in the nearest cold biome that is still cold, let your dupes stay grimy, and use outhouses instead of lavatories, and your water use should drop and with it the huge temperature spike it brings.

I'm pretty sure it is possible to infinitely maintain negative entropy rate in a closed system in ONI, even without wheezeworts, hydrofans and voids. Carnot is doing cycles in his grave.

Since ONI doesn't obey the laws of thermodynamics, it's not an isolated thermodynamic system, and so Carnot cares not.  Even if it did, geysers and voids would have to be interpreted as interactions with the outside world.  Infinitely sustained negative entropy rate in ONI isn't possible, entropy is discrete and bounded below by zero.

7 minutes ago, Trego said:

Since ONI doesn't obey the laws of thermodynamics, it's not an isolated thermodynamic system, and so Carnot cares not.  Even if it did, geysers and voids would have to be interpreted as interactions with the outside world.  Infinitely sustained negative entropy rate in ONI isn't possible, finite memory/variable allocation imposes an upper bound on the number of configurations.

If a configuration repeats itself and the duplicants are still alive, that means you've created a self-sustaining base, correct? That's usually the real goal :).

1 hour ago, CobraA1 said:

If a configuration repeats itself and the duplicants are still alive, that means you've created a self-sustaining base, correct? That's usually the real goal :).

Perhaps it's yours.

6 hours ago, CobraA1 said:

Self-sustaining, but for how long?

If you keep dumping the excess heat outside your base, it will come back some day.

6 hours ago, Trego said:

Even if it did, geysers and voids would have to be interpreted as interactions with the outside world.  Infinitely sustained negative entropy rate in ONI isn't possible, entropy is discrete and bounded below by zero.

Make it infinitely sustained positive useful work output with entropy bounded from above then.

It may be possible to have infinite output without geysers: polluted water creates polluted oxygen (for free), which pufts convert to slime, which becomes polluted water (at 30 degree Celsius - may be important), which is boiled into pure water, split into oxygen+hydrogen, with both burned. Some of the water could go into scrubbing. Alternatively, polluted water->fertilizer+gas->gas burner.

Since water is a massive sink of heat, the system would probably be able to stay cool by dumping excess heat into water about to go into hydrolysis, then again into hydrogen about to be burned.

It's obviously doable with wheezeworts (just slow down the reactions, use one dupe), but the above setup may possibly be doable without them.

9 hours ago, Coolthulhu said:

Self-sustaining, but for how long?

Well, if the dupes are still alive and sometime later the simulation is in the exact same state as it was earlier - indefinitely :).

Assuming that's possible, of course.

Trego was trying to be a bit fancy with technical language. I noticed the post got edited after I replied.

9 hours ago, Coolthulhu said:

If you keep dumping the excess heat outside your base, it will come back some day.

True, so  to prevent overheating one ought to eventually find a way to dispose of the heat rather than merely move it around. Right now, we have "sources" and "sinks" of heat. Geysers, your dupes, and your various machines tend to be sources, while wheezeworts, voids, and hydrofans are sinks.

You have a very limited amount of control over the sources of heat, so controlling how much heat is dumped into the sinks is pretty much the key to controlling temperature in the game.

Archived