There is no thermal conductivity along pipes

This is just a heads up for all designers who consider heat effects. These are wolframite pipes in vacuum, I heated up parts of them and let the time fly. There's asolutely no thermal conductivity between them. All of the transferred heat must go with ambient gas or contents of the pipe.

2wYVAp0.jpg

7 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

Do you know if this is only with Wolframite or does this apply to all materials?

Just for you I tested it with all materials available in debug mode for all pipes and wires and no, there's no conductivity for any material.

9 minutes ago, Kasuha said:

Just for you I tested it with all materials available in debug mode for all pipes and wires and no, there's no conductivity for any material.

maybe that is a feature to prevent a pipes acting like a huge heat pipe distributing heat all over the base

8 minutes ago, marcjhune22 said:

maybe that is a feature to prevent a pipes acting like a huge heat pipe distributing heat all over the base

I guess devs either forgot about the wire/pipe connections or didn't want to bother with them.

8 minutes ago, marcjhune22 said:

But that's what it should do in the first place isn't it? I mean if you heat up your pipes by pumping hot contents the pipe should gain temperature from its contents and when you stop pumping the heat should slowly transfer to nearby units(no matter if it's a gas or solid). The same should apply to low temperature as well, but instead of heating the process should be cooling.. With no thermal conductivity pipes remain the same temperature when it's empty... ONI thermodynamics are different from real life keep in mind! :)

20 minutes ago, marcjhune22 said:

8 minutes ago, Donchev said:

But that's what it should do in the first place isn't it? I mean if you heat up your pipes by pumping hot contents the pipe should gain temperature from its contents and when you stop pumping the heat should slowly transfer to nearby units(no matter if it's a gas or solid). The same should apply to low temperature as well, but instead of heating the process should be cooling.. With no thermal conductivity pipes remain the same temperature when it's empty... ONI thermodynamics are different from real life keep in mind! :)

I agree with this, the pipes contents should lose heat since they are heating the pipes up and those pipes heat up the surround area, this is the reason that there are insulated pipes, so that this heat exchange is minimal thus allowing the fluid/gas to retain its heat. 

@Kasuha did the pipes start to cool at all because they were in a cold vacuum? or does the ambient temperature not affect pipes?

4 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

@Kasuha did the pipes start to cool at all because they were in a cold vacuum? or does the ambient temperature not affect pipes?

There's no ambient temperature in vacuum. I was testing heat transfer between connected parts of pipes, not between pipe segments and gas around them, so I removed the gas.

53 minutes ago, Donchev said:

that is what it should do, but keep in mind that i mention a heat pipe. not regular pipes

9 hours ago, Kasuha said:

I guess devs either forgot about the wire/pipe connections or didn't want to bother with them.

Could even be intentional, as a way to optimize the simulation. Every thing that needs to be simulated adds complexity to the simulation, driving up CPU and memory costs. You only really want to simulate the things the player will notice.

In the case of heat transference between pipes - there will almost always be either something flowing through the pipes, or something outside of the pipes. So in most cases, there will be something moving heat around.

As a player, this is fine with me. One less thing to worry about.

This would also go to explain why Kasuha's attempt to use pipes to conduct heat away from a geyser towards a wheezewort chamber failed compared to a simple granite wall between them. Pipes cannot be used as heatsink fins.

Edit: I suppose another question would be, are the contents also isolated if they're immobile. Do gas and liquid packets only interact with the immediate pipe they are in.  I imagine the obvious answer would be yes. And that thermal conduction only happens as packets exchange with the pipes along the route it travels.

18 minutes ago, Whispershade said:

This would also go to explain why Kasuha's attempt to use pipes to conduct heat away from a geyser towards a wheezewort chamber failed compared to a simple granite wall between them. Pipes cannot be used as heatsink fins.

Edit: I suppose another question would be, are the contents also isolated if they're immobile. Do gas and liquid packets only interact with the immediate pipe they are in.  I imagine the obvious answer would be yes. And that thermal conduction only happens as packets exchange with the pipes along the route it travels.

The answer to that is definitely yes.

20170616234814_1.jpg

20170616234818_1.jpg

Those two packets have been sitting together along that pipe for a long time since I powered down the machine.  One is exposed to the cooling room, the other under the insulated tile.  The only time when the temperature of packets is affected by another, is if they combined together while moving along a pipe.

Archived