How to make a custom sword

Hurl

Now look, I went to various websites trying to find out how to do this but to no avail aight. But there was this forum topic which can help me. But Im stuck on the first step because Ihave no idea what the arrows mean. What are the arrows and spaces supposed to be?

mymod        exported        |->        myitem                |->        ground_myitem                        |->        ground_myitem.png                        swap_myitem                        |->        swap_myitem                                |->        swap_myitem.png        images        |->        inventoryimages                |->        myitem.png        scripts        |->        prefabs                |->        myitem.lua        modmain.lua

yo Malacath, can you help me out here man? I have absolutely no clue what youre talking about.

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/profile/245716-malacath/

Hi @Hurl, welcome to the forums!

The forums have been upgraded over time and, unfortunately, some upgrades broke new lines in formatted text. I believe this is how it was originally meant and displayed:

mymod
        exported
        |->        myitem
                |->        ground_myitem
                        |->        ground_myitem.png
                        swap_myitem
                        |->        swap_myitem
                                |->        swap_myitem.png
        images
        |->        inventoryimages
                |->        myitem.png
        scripts
        |->        prefabs
                |->        myitem.lua
        modmain.lua

Btw, you posted in the tutorials section, which is meant to post tutorials only (see the first pinned topic). Also, to mention someone, type @ followed by their user name and select the name from the dropdown menu.

5 hours ago, alainmcd said:

Hi @Hurl, welcome to the forums!

The forums have been upgraded over time and, unfortunately, some upgrades broke new lines in formatted text. I believe this is how it was originally meant and displayed:

mymod
        exported
        |->        myitem
                |->        ground_myitem
                        |->        ground_myitem.png
                        swap_myitem
                        |->        swap_myitem
                                |->        swap_myitem.png
        images
        |->        inventoryimages
                |->        myitem.png
        scripts
        |->        prefabs
                |->        myitem.lua
        modmain.lua

Btw, you posted in the tutorials section, which is meant to post tutorials only (see the first pinned topic). Also, to mention someone, type @ followed by their user name and select the name from the dropdown menu.

Thank you so much! But uh, why are there two swap_myitem files? And, why is there an extra modmain.lua at the end?

Spoiler

*mymod
  |->   *exported
  |       |->   *myitem
  |               |->   *ground_myitem
  |               |       |->   ground_myitem.png
  |               |
  |               |->   *swap_myitem
  |                       |->   *swap_myitem
  |                               |->      swap_myitem.png
  |
  |->   *images
  |       |->   *inventoryimages
  |               |->    myitem.png
  |
  |->   *scripts
  |       |->   *prefabs
  |               |->    myitem.lua
  |
  |->   modmain.lua

(I've reformatted the file structure a little more, more spaces to make clearer what belongs to what, and I've marked folders with an asterisk.)

Both swap_myitem's are folders, not files, and according to the diagram, the file swap_myitem.png should be placed inside the second swap_myitem folder. As for why it is like this or whether it's a typo, I do not know. My very basic understanding is that the autocompiler goes through all the mods in the mods folder of the DS installation and tries to compile all images it finds in the exported folder and its subfolders into working animation files in the corresponding anim folder - the autocompiler should take care of everything you'd need. If it doesn't work for you, I suggest you move the swap_myitem.png file to the first swap_myitem folder and see if that works.

5 minutes ago, alainmcd said:
  Reveal hidden contents

*mymod
  |->   *exported
  |       |->   *myitem
  |               |->   *ground_myitem
  |               |       |->   ground_myitem.png
  |               |
  |               |->   *swap_myitem
  |                       |->   *swap_myitem
  |                               |->      swap_myitem.png
  |
  |->   *images
  |       |->   *inventoryimages
  |               |->    myitem.png
  |
  |->   *scripts
  |       |->   *prefabs
  |               |->    myitem.lua
  |
  |->   modmain.lua

(I've reformatted the file structure a little more, more spaces to make clearer what belongs to what, and I've marked folders with an asterisk.)

Both swap_myitem's are folders, not files, and according to the diagram, the file swap_myitem.png should be placed inside the second swap_myitem folder. As for why it is like this or whether it's a typo, I do not know. My very basic understanding is that the autocompiler goes through all the mods in the mods folder of the DS installation and tries to compile all images it finds in the exported folder and its subfolders into working animation files in the corresponding anim folder - the autocompiler should take care of everything you'd need. If it doesn't work for you, I suggest you move the swap_myitem.png file to the first swap_myitem folder and see if that works.

Thank you so much! ^_^

Archived