PvP Improvements

klei pls i want to actually play pvp

- Pan flutes and Wickerbottom's Sleepytime Stories book should NOT work. If you get any of those, you basically win the game.
- Logging off should leave the player on the server until the fighting music stops on their side and for 5 seconds if they're not in a fight. Using sinkholes to disconnect by pressing "Cancel" while traveling should take the player down to the caves and leave them there for 10 seconds after they spawn, which should give the attacker enough time to get them engaged in combat again in case they try to combat log.
- Players that have less than 3 in-game days should be immune to other players and should not be able to attack other players, to prevent spawn killing.
- These are changes that should be implemented in both PvP and CO-OP. Players hiding inside bush hats are invisible on the map, have a normal "Berry Bush" name and white text color when the mouse is used to hover over them, always face the same direction as other berry bushes when hiding and can be picked, which will result in the hiding player coming out of the bush.

Any extra ideas? I'd love to hear some in the replies.
Or does PvP actually not matter in this game? Personally I'd love to see it balanced and fixed so more players would find it fun to play.

41 minutes ago, ThemInspectors said:

The Caves Travel is a bit rough, bunnymen, spiders or other unidentified prefabs could murder you whilst in the 10 secs.

The point of the 10 seconds is that you get yourself somewhere safe before disconnecting. If you log out while traveling, you were probably either combat logging or had a crash.

44 minutes ago, ThemInspectors said:

Further more it would require changing connection framework done in C++, potentially breaking connecting for a while, so yeah.

I didn't really think about the code part of all this... just tried to make it sound a bit reasonable...

5 minutes ago, Electroely said:

The point of the 10 seconds is that you get yourself somewhere safe before disconnecting. If you log out while traveling, you were probably either combat logging or had a crash.

Crashing while moving from the Caves and Forest is pretty common, remember the RWP stream?

On 13/6/2017 at 9:37 AM, GiddyGuy said:

Wouldn't changes like these just make people rush either a presti for staves or ruins?

Isn't PvP a lot of that already?

And I don't see why these changes would encourage it further, the pan flute and STS already require a prestihatitator to be made. There already is a big incentive to rush magic/ruins in PvP.

For PVP to even possibly work it's going to need a whole lift not even just with banned  items or change items  But also  characters with certain cheese strats  or way too much of an advantage would need to be changed and then after that comes if it comes another character rebalance would probably need to happen just so you can get things on a almost completely even playing field

A temporary band-aid that could become a more permanent solution would be to add a flagging system like in MMOs. Players could either type /pvp in console or perform an action that is considered hostile to auto flag (setting a structure on fire, attacking a friendly NPC following another character, etc). PvP flags require a cooldown period of ~5 minutes of non PvP activity to turn off, and things like resurrecting after dying in PvP would either unflag you, or give a 30 second grace period before the flag reactivates.

for one dont really care about pvp... in fact the whole game used to be pvp back in the day  back when pvp was the bog standard of every server.... this was in really early beta  where a lot of things were different  ghosts had a haunt meter requiring them to haunt things in order to stay alive before they completely died. and had to leave. 

tbh i feel there would have to bee too much change in order for pvp to be something relevant. and besides most of the player base doenst play pvp

On 6/17/2017 at 2:08 PM, EsaiXD said:

besides most of the player base doenst play pvp

I think there are between 2 and 5% PvP servers from total number of servers available at any given time - not much incentive to further work on said mode in this regard. Plus PvP games always tend to have various degree of vitriol chat. Bottom line: probably DST PvP won't be changed in foreseeable future.

Archived