No Decor Challenge

So, folks, I'm sick of the endless Dupa-Lisas and statues. So I'm starting the uncultured colony! YAY!
Let's see if it can be done, while keeping the stress levels close to zero. :)
So the rules are: no paintings, no statues, and vases for wheezeworts only. Get it to be sustainable, if possible.

Here's my starting location:

1301530B9462EBF18DCF5F94882DEDCFBAB47613

Pretty much ordinary. Lots of water, initially, which is cool. Some sand. And tiny bits of coal, which means we'll have to find geysers asap.

I tried to choose the starting dupes at low level, so that they don't have high expectations, yet. One fast learner was be nice for quick research too. I was on the lookout for the "Uncultured" rait as well, when printing further dupes.
Also, if this ultimately fails, and their stress gets out of control, it's nicenot to have any binge-eaters. ;)

Some initial developments. Very basic. 13 Cycles, 7 dupes.
5B892CD8CD6B9E78CD5A1803C5F382ADA5E9304A

The highest stress is now 35% but that's actually due to unlucky soaking accident, and a lack of oxygen (one deoxy is not enough for 7 ppl anymore, gotta add some), rather than stress. The other five guys seem to be doing okay with stress below 11%.

The decor overlay is actually not that bad with some granite tiles and lighting.

658F352E079F98CD8C55BE4ED6E1D80E8C3C769E

The problems will probably start with higher expectations. So we'll need some good food to counter that. Adding a shower would be nice, too, to remove negative stats as soon as possible. Plenty of oxygen and ideal temperatures go without saying. :)

You do realize that Dupes have decor expectations above 0, right? And that they're bound to level up and have those expectations raised?

Only when you consistently kill high-level dupes and hire low-level ones, can this be done.

1 minute ago, Merauder said:

Only when you consistently kill high-level dupes and hire low-level ones, can this be done.

Nothing in the manual that this is a bad plan, just time the death of a spent (in terms of getting to demanding when it comes to decor) duplicant with the printing of the new one and the 'sadness' death penalty and 'new friend' should cancel each other out.

Hmmm granite walls, plenty of bristle blossoms etched in farm tiles (no decor penalty), lights, snazzy suits, 

Even pinchas and space heaters are good for decor.

P0YqcoR.jpg

Thermal comfort zone is up to 46 C in oxygen/PO, that's enough to grow pinchas straight in your base.

27 minutes ago, Merauder said:

You do realize that Dupes have decor expectations above 0, right? And that they're bound to level up and have those expectations raised?

As a matter of fact, the base decor expectation is -25. -45 with "Uncultured". Of course they are going to level, and this is going to raise. But then we'll gonna think of something. :)

25 minutes ago, Masterpintsman said:

Nothing in the manual that this is a bad plan, just time the death of a spent (in terms of getting to demanding when it comes to decor) duplicant with the printing of the new one and the 'sadness' death penalty and 'new friend' should cancel each other out.

Um... :D
This sounds to me like a perfect horror movie screenplay. Something like "The Death Asteroid". But I don't want to do it, tbh.
I don't think the dupes would approve. :D

15 minutes ago, Kasuha said:

Hmmm granite walls, plenty of bristle blossoms etched in farm tiles (no decor penalty), lights, snazzy suits, 

Even pinchas and space heaters are good for decor.

Yeah, I was thinking along those lines... The farm tile really has no decor penalty, though it comes across to me as kind of strange. You know, all the dirt and stuff. It's not like it's a flower bed. :)
Oh wait, bristle blossom IS actually a flower...

So we're in for some 49 cycles. Nevermind the mess, some things are temporary here, like coal gens.

3FF88AA1CA0BED37E70FDD128363818FB9D47A3B

Highest stress now is around 25%, although I have only 10 guys, which is kind of bare minimum. I've got 1 massage table for back up, but it's more vacant than used.

The prettiest place in the colony is the toilet...

ABD39AECAA9D0AA44C077956BF4D9103567F7C2E

If I can somehow make the dupes never leave shower - we're golden!! :D

The highest level dupe for now is Mr. Otto, who is lvl 14 runner (as if there were other professions in ONI ;) ). His decor expectation is 45, which is 5 less than the cap of 50. Yet he seems pretty relaxed.
His friend Max though is probably wet or dirty or whatever...
N2fhh3i.jpg

14 hours ago, marcjhune22 said:

Nice progress, is there a specific number of dupes for the challenge? IMO that is too many dupes for just cycle 49.

Thanks! No specific number so far. I know people here have done the accept everyone challenge, but I'm not going for it just yet. Definitely won't have 100 dupes as people reported the game starts lagging at this point. :) Maybe I'll settle around 20?
10 is ok at this point, I think, at least I had no problems with it. Again, some prefer to keep the minimum number of dupes, so as not to waste food and oxygen. But then it takes longer to build stuff.

I never tried this but this begs the question? As long as you have many massage tables open for anyone to use at a low requirement (>20% stress), they can indefinitely get rid of stress. So with that idea, it's entirely possible to just leave out decor. 

Archived