Things players do that you LOVE

This will be the good twin to my other thread.

List things players do that you think everyone can learn something from.

Here's my list:

• Making one of those gem sockets and then putting a gem in them to show the base on the map. It's really great if you want to help guide players to your base without them wasting time.
  • Helping new players. It's always a pain, but I have respect for those people that explain good methods during the actual game. Enhanced learning for those players.
  • Those downright saints that leave flint next to the portal. How can one person be that compassionate? Makes those newcomers much less crippled when joining an older world.

People finding base on their own - and bringing resources when they do so. People using the strength points of their characters - and doing so well (Wolf and Wig for hunting, Wicker, Max and Woodie for gathering, Wendy and Webber for spider-goodies).

When they show up at the base and ask what they can do to help.

When they are willing to go out and just chop a ton of wood or mine rocks or gather grass or do some other basic resource thing that can be a bit boring.

When they ask before rummaging through every chest in the base.

When they don't act like you should drop everything to teach them the game the moment they join.

When you ask them not to do something and they don't do it.

15 minutes ago, Rellimarual said:

When they ask before rummaging through every chest in the base.

Well, TBH I have this weird quirk; I have to look in every chest when I come to a base. I dunno why I do that, I just do.

I JUST GATS TA KNOW WHAT'S IN THEM! :wilson_ecstatic: (Maybe it's because I'm gauging what we need, and what we don't, maybe it's me just being a nosy Nelly, maybe I'm just satisfying my curiosity. I dunno)

Also, when people engage with you. Y'know, the little things like /wave -ing when you pass by someone, replying when someone asks a question, helping them when they're getting hounded. (heheh. didja see what I did there?)

41 minutes ago, watermelen671 said:

I JUST GATS TA KNOW WHAT'S IN THEM! :wilson_ecstatic: (Maybe it's because I'm gauging what we need, and what we don't, maybe it's me just being a nosy Nelly, maybe I'm just satisfying my curiosity. I dunno)

I'd do the same. I don't take resources from chests normally, but I will always nose through them just to see what people have, or sometimes what they need.

As for things I like: People actually bringing resources once in a while instead of only taking. Bonus if they maintain the order of what appear to be sorted items or actually sort unsorted chests!

The top tier of bro players make useful items ahead of time - I'm talking battle spears, salves, telltale hearts, that sort of stuff. But hopefully they don't use up an entire stock of resources to do that. That's as harmful as it is helpful.

39 minutes ago, watermelen671 said:

Well, TBH I have this weird quirk; I have to look in every chest when I come to a base. I dunno why I do that, I just do.

Totally understandable. You can always say that you're just looking. The problem is that, of course, other players can't tell what, if anything, you've taken, and while you may be thinking in terms of "we," they probably can't tell that, either. They have no way of knowing your intentions.

A lot of the problems people have with this stuff can be headed off by decent manners and good communication. Except when someone joins and instantly asks where the base is, of course! Then silence is the best policy.

6 hours ago, Rellimarual said:

Totally understandable. You can always say that you're just looking. The problem is that, of course, other players can't tell what, if anything, you've taken, and while you may be thinking in terms of "we," they probably can't tell that, either. They have no way of knowing your intentions.

A lot of the problems people have with this stuff can be headed off by decent manners and good communication. Except when someone joins and instantly asks where the base is, of course! Then silence is the best policy.

Come to think of it... that could also be addressed with an interface widget to draw a picture above the player's head showing the item added to/taken from the container and an amount.  Sadly, my modding skills are too limited (and my schedule too busy) to try doing this myself.

1 hour ago, TemporaryMan said:

Come to think of it... that could also be addressed with an interface widget to draw a picture above the player's head showing the item added to/taken from the container and an amount.  Sadly, my modding skills are too limited (and my schedule too busy) to try doing this myself.

That would be really cool. I hope someone with the ability to actually do that sees this.

I'll do it by characters.

Wilson: I like when experienced players instead of noobs use them.  When they use their beards to make meat effigies.  I love when they are well rounded and do multiple jobs vs sitting at the base and being a couch potato.

Willow: I love when they don't burn the base down, and instead burn trees down; thanks, I needed the charcoal for a crock pot/gun powder later on/fuel.  I love when they make lighters for everyone else, meaning that even though we get a smaller light pool, we have a longer lasting light.  

Wolfgang: I love when they aren't useless people who just eat up your food.  I like when they limit themselves to ONE Wolfgang.  I like when they become a strong man and start wrecking things (pigs for meat, clock works for gears, beehives to make bee boxes, koalaphants, and bosses.

Wendy: Literally perfect when I have Webber.  I like when they use Abigail to destroy bee hives and spider nests (we could use the silk, glands, and meat guys).  I like when they control Abigail and try NOT to attack the beefalo.  I like when they attack very creatures and get a lot of meat.

WX-78: I love when they don't hog all the gears.  At least make an ice box or 2 for the main base, and another ice box for underground (during the summer because 2 or 3 gears for an ice box is better than 4 to make 2 ice flingos).  Please upgrade yourself with excess gears; the stronger you are, the stronger the team is.  I love that when they're about to leave, they kill themselves to give us some gears.  I love how they explore a lot and bring goodies back.

Wickerbottom: I love when they use their book to bring birds/grow various things.  I love when they make tools and backpacks for other characters.  Please make an alchemy machine as soon as you get here, so we can get that out of the way.  I love when y'all make tents for other players, even if you can't use it yourself.  

Woodie: I don't like him all that much, but it wouldn't be fair if I didn't list his pros; After all, I did well with one Woodie, so maybe there is hope for the rest.  I like when he stocks up on a lot of wood for himself, and gets a lot of turf for fuel.  I love when he doesn't die or doesn't spawn like 100 treeguards.  I like how he shares his wood with the party (so alchemy engine even earlier, treasure chests, wood walls, etc).  

Wes: I hardly run into any...  Though I'll list their pros still.  I like when Wes joins because it's most likely an experienced player using him.  Hardly anyone trolls with Wes, so I like that abut him.  He never gets himself into any trouble, so low maintenance.  I like how he explores and gets a lot of nightmare fuel.  I love how he explores underground and makes a lantern before I make one.

Maxwell: I love his nightmare army that does various tasks.  I like when he actually uses his skills and makes use of the book.  I love how he goes underground and brings back lanterns.  I like how he gathers a bunch of resources for the base along side me.

Wigfrid: She's perfect as a partner, and we really don't deserve her!  I love how she hunts a lot of meat, and she hunts it in bulk.  I love how she fights a lot of things and keep us safe.  I like how she immediately sets out to work and brings back a lot of gifts.  I like how she makes battle spears and helmets for everyone.

Webber: Even though I main him, I hate when other players use him.  I love how he comes in with meat, so 2 meatballs from a crock pot anyone?  I like how he has a nest, so we get an infinite amount of silk, glands, meat, and recycle that same spider egg.  I love when they do exactly what I say and shave their beard when it's full (6 silk) so we get a choice between a tent or top hat (prestihatitator).

In general

- please be good or open to learn

- please actually do something (whether gather the food and items, build up the base/organize the base/play chef, be the hunter for meat, or explore and get the super rare items).

- please be able to stand on your own since co-dependency is very bad.

Man, oh man...

The power of teamwork is so freakin' awesome!

I absolutely love when, even if you and your teammate kind of suck, you actually put your minds together, instead of just being two seperate people. If you don't get what I'm saying, here's an example:

• Juggling aggro of Deerclops between you and your friend
  • You're in the icebox putting stuff away, and your friend gives you food to put away since two people can't access the icebox at the same time
  • When you get the same exact ideas
  • Splitting resources and planning ahead as an actual team

Teamwork is important, people! Use it!

Other stuff:

• When experienced players don't treat you like idiots
  • When you find someone around your skill level
  • Pre-made Telltale Hearts
  • The guy that arrives at base with cool shiz
  • When a Maxwell uses your book because you have low sanity

Archived