Best way to get meat while starting? (Wigfrid)

22 hours ago, JellyUltra said:

Don't do that. 2 monster meat and 2 eggs in the crockpot has a 50% chance of making bacon and eggs.

What for, extending freshness?

[4 MM] 75 = 4*18.75
[Mb] 62.5
[B&E/ML] 56.25 = 0.5(75+37.5)

The health gain doesn't matter much with Wigfrid, and you potentially waste even more hunger satiation using it as healing when you could have made a Pierogi.

On 6/11/2017 at 7:01 PM, Keets said:

I'm thinking about going solo on wigfrid, although I'm not sure how I'll survive the first few days since I wont have much. 

Kill things.

It is literally that simple. Just find things, and kill them. Wigfrid is the schoolyard bully of the game, she can do what she wants for the most part.

I personally never play with Wigfrid since I don't like her meat only diet.  Though I do like them as partners, so I can point out what source they get as meat.  

- You start the game with 4 meats.  I generally have a crockpot made early on and I have a **** load of carrots/berries/mushrooms, so that's why they tend to like me a lot.  They also practically come in the game with 4 meatballs if you add them with my veggies/berries and 2 crock pots.  Though on solo, you're instantly going to make a science machine, alchemy engine (I only have to make an alchemy engine since Wickerbottom), and a crock pot or 2.  This requires 20 logs, 25-34 rocks, 5 gold, 6 or 12 charcoal, and 6 or 12 sticks; not counting the amount of sticks used to make the tools.  You'll have to cook at least 1 meat early on, and you'll immediately have to set out to work.  But having 2 or 3 meatballs early on is worth it.

- Make a rabbit trap and go after rabbits and frogs.  You cook them over a fire, and they'll last until you get a crock pot.  That way you don't have to touch the meat you come in with.  Even if you do cook all of the meat, then you can still hunt them, along with spiders, and make a plethora of meaty goods in the crock pot.

- when you get 2 silks, make a fishing rod.  You can make fish sticks (for 40 health),fish tacos (if you have corn for 20 health), and froggie bunwich (20 health).  

- a lot of them hunt koalephants for big meat gains after they established themselves a bit.  Though you should also hunt for gears at this point for a fridge to hold all of this meat.  Until then, make a drying rack (3 sticks, 2 charcoal, and 9 grass) in order to turn rotting meat into jerky.

On 6/12/2017 at 11:56 AM, Keets said:

Yep, I know where a lot of frogs are and I've killed a few and making meatballs out of them. Although that cannot be my only food source because winter is soon and I believe frogs don't come out in the winter.

Try to hunt for gears (helmet, battle spear, and log suit combo) in order to make an icebox.  You can easily make several rabbit traps by a large pond area to stock up on frog legs.  You can also use 6 silks (3 fishing rods) to have a bulk of fish.  

Though for winter itself: make rabbit traps for rabbits (they come out in winter, though they don't come out in spring), use them for spiders, and hunt koalaphants.  1 monster meat and 3 fruits/berries will make meatballs; though only use 1 because 2 will make monster lasagna. You can also hunt for turkeys (corner them and tank), in order to make meatballs or a turkey dinner.  You have 120 hunger as Wigfrid, and Turkey dinners give 75 hunger, so it's not a huge waste.  Also...  You get a whopping 20 health.  Turkey Dinner (2 drumsticks, any type of meat, and berries/veggies). 

3 hours ago, LuxuryHeart said:

Though for winter itself: make rabbit traps for rabbits (they come out in winter, though they don't come out in spring), use them for spiders

Just wanted to say, I wouldn't recommend this unless you're living right next to a desert and have a surplus of grass during winter from tumbleweeds, or if you made traps already for magic stuff and have no other use for them. And even then you should be making drying racks instead. Rabbit morsels aren't worth the 6 grass, and you should be able to defeat spiders fairly easily unless you get ganged on in evenings. For meat in crockpot recipes I suggest just killing a tier 3 that should  have grown by this time and planting it a distance from your base for a meat source.

3 hours ago, LuxuryHeart said:

1 monster meat and 3 fruits/berries will make meatballs; though only use 1 because 2 will make monster lasagna. You can also hunt for turkeys (corner them and tank), in order to make meatballs or a turkey dinner.  You have 120 hunger as Wigfrid, and Turkey dinners give 75 hunger, so it's not a huge waste.  Also...  You get a whopping 20 health.

Here, I'll indulge on some winter food tips. Do not use your vegetables or fruits for meatballs in winter. Save them for pierogi and whatnot. Instead, mine ice that you see spawning randomly around the world during winter and use them for fillers for not just meatballs but many other recipes as well. 1 monster meat(farm spiders from your newly planted spider den) + 3 ice = meatballs.

Also, pay a visit to deserts in winter to gather as much cactus as you can; cactuses are the only vegetable that continue to grow in winter, which are needed in the recipe for pierogi to restore 40 health, unlike mushrooms and carrots which do not grow in winter. Your helm allows you to lose only one hit point and one durability per cactus. If you have a Wickerbottom on the crew, I'm sure she'd also appreciate it as it is her only source of easy sanity in winter due to the lack of mushrooms and her inability to sleep.

PS. If you have a berry, you can also simply put it on the ground to lure a turkey. As soon as it starts moving towards the berry, run to attack it before it gets away with the lure. It will not run in that state, and you will not risk losing a drumstick to the sea cornering it. :D

Seconded. Wigfrid should rarely resort to traps because she gets health and sanity buffs for killing by hand. When in doubt, kill spiders or bats for a quick pick me up and don't waste resources like tents that other players may need more. Also, there is no need to chase or corner turkeys. Leave a berry, carrot or petals on the ground nearby and the turkey will approach to eat it. Step in to one-shot it before it gets the chance.

Yeah in winter just hunt spiders and use that with ice / whatever berries or carrots you still find to meatball through.

Wasn't there a challenge some people did with Wigfrid about how long they can play without eating at all because she can regen health from killing?

Well, I like having some non-poisonous meat on hand to make jerky out of, so I tend to, if I can, base nearish to both frog ponds and a savannah with rabbit holes.  For most of the year, the traps stay at the rabbit holes.  Then when spring comes, over to the frogs.  In winter, back to the bunnies!  One of the two is always still available when the other isn't, so it works out.  Also living in/near a savannah supplies a lot of grass, which is one of if not THE most-used crafting material in the game.  And if you wanna fish peacefully, just wait until dusk.  :)  I sometimes make a firepit near the frog ponds just for night-fishing.

Mind you, I'm not saying that traps are the ONLY way you should source your meat!  Not at all. Just that it's nice to have a steady backup on the days when you get sidetracked making/exploring/building and don't have time for a hunt.  And jerky is awesome in general, since the health and sanity it gives can add up...and as said earlier, Wigfrid needs to carry food with her that doesn't spoil fast. 

I can second that you shouldn't leave the base without a good food supply if you're planning to go far at all--I've tried that with what I THOUGHT was enough to go out on a decent hunter-gatherer trip...and came home starving.  So...yeah.  If you're planning to be gone for a couple days or more, bring a bunch of jerky or crockpot food.  Speaking of, you can also add me to the "rush an early crockpot" crowd--the plain meat by itself just isn't filling enough unless you get LOTS of it.

...Notorious

Archived