Thermo Regulator Overheating

I have been playing this for a while and have used Thermo Regulators plenty of times but all the sudden these 3 that I'm building almost instantly go well over 100 Celsius and start taking damage. Just for the record, they are made out of Gold Amalgam, they are surrounded by -10 to -20 C air, they are taking in 10 to -20 C air, have sufficient power, and this is the third time I have rebuilt them. Do I not know something about them or am I missing something obvious?

This picture was taken 5-10 seconds after they were turned on, and they started at roughly 0 C.

overheat.png

Most often if they overheat while everything around is cold, they're in too low gas pressure. They need something to share their heat with, either gas around, or a small amount of liquid. My personal favorite setup is regulator in room with pressurized hydrogen, cooled with two wheezeworts. That almost manages to cool it down at its maximum capacity, cooling continuous 1 kg packets of hydrogen.

12 minutes ago, Jumpp said:

Does the amount of heat produced correlate to the amount of gas cooled? If so, we could control the heat with a gas valve just upstream of the regulator.

Better yet, it correlates with amount of heat removed. It heats up less if it processes smaller packets or if it processes gas with lower specific heat capacity.

2 hours ago, Jumpp said:

Does the amount of heat produced correlate to the amount of gas cooled? If so, we could control the heat with a gas valve just upstream of the regulator.

Right, just as Kasuha said, but to put it slightly more clearly, the heat the regulators remove from the gas packets is directly put into the machine.  They do not magically destroy heat like the wheezeworts do.  The thermal regulators are basically Heat Pumps.

On 6/9/2017 at 2:04 PM, Kasuha said:

Most often if they overheat while everything around is cold, they're in too low gas pressure. They need something to share their heat with, either gas around, or a small amount of liquid. My personal favorite setup is regulator in room with pressurized hydrogen, cooled with two wheezeworts. That almost manages to cool it down at its maximum capacity, cooling continuous 1 kg packets of hydrogen.

Would this mean that putting them in a vacuum is a bad idea?

Archived