How to prevent/minimise effect of wild fires?

I've just finished winter and I'm starting to prepare for summer. I have enough to make about 2 ice flingomatics, I'm starting to plant grass tufts and saplings but I'm spreading them out so if one group catches, the entire farm doesn't catch. I'm making farms, but I don't know if I should spread them out too much. Is there anything else I can do to prevent/minimise the effect of wild fires?

I try to keep my flammable materials near one another, so one Flingomatic covers their entire area. That way I need less Flingos. One Flingo on its own is very efficient - as long as your plants/etc are in its range, everything will be fine, no matter how closely packed they are. 

Are you on PC? I would recommend the Ice Flingo Range mod. After you place a Flingo, right-click on it to see its range as a circle. Build within that circle, or place another Flingo outside of that. I like to use pitchforks to dig up ground in grid-like patterns, and those grids help dictate to me where the Flingo ranges end. 

Otherwise, no, there's nothing you can do to prevent smoldering during Summer. It's a feature of the season. You can suppress current smoldering things at the expense of your own health, but they have to be smoky, not actually on fire. If you're not prepared with enough Flingos, just stay far away from your main base. Maybe build a small temporary base on the other side of the map with minimal resources and one Flingo... just enough to survive, rather than thrive. Being super far away from your main base basically disables anything happening at it. This game is coded so that events happen within a certain distance of the character, rather than simultaneously across the world as a whole. 

You can also avoid, or at least delay, many of the effects of Summer by going into the caves. Although that requires a different living style entirely.

My advice is have a summer base in the desert and only needing to fill 1-2 flingomatic. Spend the summer collecting tumbleweed loot and waiting for dragonfly (20 ashes, a torch and 14 gunpowder ready in chester). Ice chester and two to four thermal stones will help while you're running around the entire desert for tumbleweed and collecting cactus.

Archived