WX-78s prefer deserts

As I continue playing DST, I notice that many WX-78 players tend to camp out in the desert.  Hardly anyone else but them, make a base there.  What's up with that?  I know they need gears and all, but they don't even camp on the outskirts of the desert, they literally camp smack dab in the middle of it.  Even my brother does that, and I honestly don't get it or see the logic.  I personally camp by portal (newcomers of course), one biome away from beefaloo in the plains (so I have berries, beefalo, grass, twigs and trees), or by the pig king (unless I have Webber).  Then again, I usually pick Willow, Wickerbottom, Wolfgang, and Webber.  I wonder if there is a connection between the characters you pick, and where you camp.   I know that most people camp in the plains because of the abundance of carrots, berries, bees, butterflies/flowers, and twigs.  Then you also have a few other resources like trees and grass.  Even though most people would agree that the plains make the best base, there are characters who have a unique area.  This is from what I observed:

Wilsons- they generally camp by the portal or anywhere really.

Willow- they have a love affair with the forest.

Wolfgang- they like the pig village a lot.

Wendy- I've seen many gravitate to the rock area.  I don't know what's up with that.

WX-78- I've already said they camp in the desert.

Wickerbottom- they camp by the pig king in the deciduous forest.

Woodie- they generally camp in the forest, but that's no surprise.

Wes- I hardly ever run into any, but they seem to stay by the portal for the most part.

Maxwell- Rock area or forest.

Wigfrid- this is a wild one that runs as soon as she enters, though they settle down by the pig king or a pig village.

Webber- this is a wild one that runs as soon as they enter.  Though they seem to like it by rocks or forests.

What have you observed?  Where do most of the characters camp from in your experience, and why do you think they camp there?

38 minutes ago, microlattice said:

Desert is always a good place to base due to cactus being such an easy source of hunger&sanity, and even health.

Yes only thin you need really in desert is trees it's a really good resource hot spot 

1 hour ago, LuxuryHeart said:

As I continue playing DST, I notice that many WX-78 players tend to camp out in the desert.  Hardly anyone else but them, make a base there.  What's up with that?  I know they need gears and all, but they don't even camp on the outskirts of the desert, they literally camp smack dab in the middle of it.  Even my brother does that, and I honestly don't get it or see the logic.  I personally camp by portal (newcomers of course), one biome away from beefaloo in the plains (so I have berries, beefalo, grass, twigs and trees), or by the pig king (unless I have Webber).  Then again, I usually pick Willow, Wickerbottom, Wolfgang, and Webber.  I wonder if there is a connection between the characters you pick, and where you camp.   I know that most people camp in the plains because of the abundance of carrots, berries, bees, butterflies/flowers, and twigs.  Then you also have a few other resources like trees and grass.  Even though most people would agree that the plains make the best base, there are characters who have a unique area.  This is from what I observed:

Wendy- I've seen many gravitate to the rock area.  I don't know what's up with that.

Wes- I hardly ever run into any, but they seem to stay by the portal for the most part.

Wigfrid- this is a wild one that runs as soon as she enters, though they settle down by the pig king or a pig village.

Webber- this is a wild one that runs as soon as they enter.  Though they seem to like it by rocks or forests.

What have you observed?  Where do most of the characters camp from in your experience, and why do you think they camp there?

People aren't animals and unless it's RP they don't become there characters 

I thought you were an elitist DST or as I call them scum of the earth and you do not know the cornucopia that is the desert,sad and ironic for the desert aye

I play exclusively now as WX-78, the 400 health and 300 sanity is such a time saver.   Never saw the need to camp in the desert, I get my full stock of gears and a reserve of 30 and I'm set.   Prefer to camp near swamp and grassy areas near the center of the map.  

3 hours ago, Lumpa1227 said:

I thought you were an elitist DST or as I call them scum of the earth and you do not know the cornucopia that is the desert,sad and ironic for the desert aye

When did I EVER say that?  All I said I think there is a connection between where you make your base and the characters you pick.  What is this reaching?

Okay, I'm sorry, but WHO ARE YOU again?  I've never seen you, I don't remember you, I wasn't even aware of your EXISTENCE before this exchange, yet here you are trying to pick a fight.  Hello, my name is LuxuryHeart, how are you?  Introduce yourself, tell me about yourself, and maybe I'll remember you this time!  ;)

P.S. I really don't know who you are, but since you obviously have a bone to pick with me, maybe we met before or something.  

2 hours ago, Mencken said:

I play exclusively now as WX-78, the 400 health and 300 sanity is such a time saver.   Never saw the need to camp in the desert, I get my full stock of gears and a reserve of 30 and I'm set.   Prefer to camp near swamp and grassy areas near the center of the map.  

You have reserve of 30 gears?!  Man that's impressive.  I usually only get like 4 at the most (1 for an icebox, 1 for underground icebox during the summer, and then the 2 can be for anyone else) when I play with strangers.  Though when I play with my brother, he's able to get enough for a full upgrade, an icebox of his own, and an icebox for underground.

3 minutes ago, LuxuryHeart said:

You have reserve of 30 gears?!  Man that's impressive.  I usually only get like 4 at the most (1 for an icebox, 1 for underground icebox during the summer, and then the 2 can be for anyone else) when I play with strangers.  Though when I play with my brother, he's able to get enough for a full upgrade, an icebox of his own, and an icebox for underground.

Ruins is another good option for stocking gears. Clockworks everywhere. Assuming that someone else doesn't raid them before you, of course...but in my experience on public servers, the ruins are rarely touched, especially if it's unmodded or Survival.

7 minutes ago, LuxuryHeart said:

When did I EVER say that?  All I said I think there is a connection between where you make your base and the characters you pick.  What is this reaching?

Okay, I'm sorry, but WHO ARE YOU again?  I've never seen you, I don't remember you, I wasn't even aware of your EXISTENCE before this exchange, yet here you are trying to pick a fight.  Hello, my name is LuxuryHeart, how are you?  Introduce yourself, tell me about yourself, and maybe I'll remember you this time!  ;)

P.S. I really don't know who you are, but since you obviously have a bone to pick with me, maybe we met before or something.  

I have no fight with you but I've watch the forums for a very long time it just so happens now that I finally decided to make an account so..

and hello I'm read the username so our introductions are out of the way 

15 minutes ago, LuxuryHeart said:

Phasing is important 

15 minutes ago, LuxuryHeart said:

Phasing is important 

It changes with every map because of wormholes, which are the main thing that determine where I locate. I need to be able to get to the MacTusk in the winter without too much traveling, and being close to the desert is nice. The swamp I barely visit once I get set up, but then I don't play as Wickerbottom. Quick access to a thick forest, preferably through a wormhole, for the fall and winter giants so I don't have to chop my own wood. I prefer the look of the wooded areas, too. The desert and savannah are too barren for my taste, and it's too much work redoing the to be prettier,

2 minutes ago, Rellimarual said:

If you mean "phrasing," yes, that's true, and you might want to consider yours more carefully. The original post was completely inoffensive.

Nah I'm a hypocrite and lazy and and more excuses 

- Camping by the portal is typical when I am not concerned about the world, but more with just building a base and hanging out.  When I do this I want every new player to immediately arrive at base and we can play.

- Pig King is a popular base spot for many players.  I'm not sure why, but I think it has to do with generally liking the landmark - or maybe it's ease of farming ware pigs, just bring monster meats.

- Rocky area with spiders can be a great base spot for Wendy, as Abigail farms spiders very well early on.  Just get some filler for meat balls and you have all the silk and glans you need to stay sane and healthy.

- Free gears without going to the caves.  WX who is doing this instead of cave diving is likely just playing along until they get 20-40 gears.

- Same as Wolfgang, I think people just like the landmark.  Maybe Wicker likes the grass / berries that naturally spawn here.  She can maximize her regrowth book but doesn't have to worry about fertilizer or disease.

- Obviously.  Their entire game is about chopping 100000 logs and then dying to deerclopse.

- Again - portal is an easy way to ensure you meet everyone.

- Maxwell is like Woodie.  They camp near rocks or forest to farm at night to 10000 logs / rock, then base build.

- I think people who play Wigfrid like to explore and fight, not so much base building.

- Forests and rocky areas have naturally occurring spider dens in good quantity.  A Webber can easily get several tier 3 spider dens.  Just add flingos.

Really I'm not surprised by any of these, since the ones that are more "character specific" have to do with the natural needs / advantages of the characters.  WX is in the desert because gears, not surprised.  Webber in forest / rock area b/c spiders... yup.

I think these are typical until a player realizes they can move nearly everything.  Look for something really convenient that you can't move, like wormholes, reeds, meteors, tumbleweeds, cactus, oasis, pig torch,. cave entrance, world spawn point, chester, and build your base around that.  Move everything else.  If you don't find those appealing enough, try just basing in caves / ruins?

Camps near the centre of the map -> gears kill him

Camps near swamp -> tenticles kill him

Camps near beefalos -> heated/cold beefs kill him

Camps near pig king -> pigs gank up on him

Camps in desert -> runs out of food

Camps in caves -> goes insane terrorblack kills him

----------

now getting back to WX, WX has a great chance of overcharging in the desert as far as I know, also, when overcharged its much faster than other characters, so it can afford to base at outside places.

21 hours ago, Lumpa1227 said:

You can go on youtube for these kind of comments

thank you.

I believe the place where you base doesn't depend on the character but on the person. It doesn't matter wich character I play, I always base on the Antlion's desert or the Pig King since resources like grass, twigs and berries can be easily transplanted unlike cactus... also Antlion's desert is inmune to smoldering.

8 minutes ago, SandvichSpy said:

I believe the place where you base doesn't depend on the character but on the person. It doesn't matter wich character I play, I always base on the Antlion's desert or the Pig King since resources like grass, twigs and berries can be easily transplanted unlike cactus... also Antlion's desert is inmune to smoldering.

I say after a certain time character choice doesn't matter 

based in desert as wes with wendy and wigfried once

also camp there a lot as a weaker wicker

and yes, most of the time on pubs i see a base (which is not that large) where everyone hangs, so i can't tell who started it, but it's often at PK (unless it was me who started and it's usually desert)

really miss the forest inside swamp area from single ds though

I thought still saw the forest in the swamp occasionally -- though I don't think it's guaranteed a sinkhole like it was in DS -- but I'm a Wes player so one ought to take what I say with a grain of salt.  ('cuz I'm not supposed to talk at all, y'know)

Archived