How Do You Play The Game?

When you start a new world what do you focus on first?

For me its consolidating all the Water into a reservoir while doing research. By the time its built and all the Water is collected I have unlocked all of the first tier and stuff to make a functional bathroom. I then focus on sustainable oxygen, food, and energy.

build outhouse
oxygen (wheel+battery+deoxidyser)
research (wheel+battery+research+computer, 1 duplicant)
cots
stress (wheel+battery+massage table)
food (wheel+battery+musher)
farming (mealwood, near polluted water with wheel+battery+pump for irrigation if possible)
farming (sleet wheat in cold biome, farm tile spam without fertilizer)
oxygen (electrolyzer)
geyser hunt (water and gas) and power system setup (natural gas + water = power + CO2 scrubber + mealwood irrigation)
industrial (base building)

add in dropping decor objects as soon as you have a decent duplicant for this and granite is available

1 hour ago, Masterpintsman said:

build outhouse
oxygen (wheel+battery+deoxidyser)
research (wheel+battery+research+computer, 1 duplicant)
cots
stress (wheel+battery+massage table)
food (wheel+battery+musher)
farming (mealwood, near polluted water with wheel+battery+pump for irrigation if possible)
farming (sleet wheat in cold biome, farm tile spam without fertilizer)
oxygen (electrolyzer)
geyser hunt (water and gas) and power system setup (natural gas + water = power + CO2 scrubber + mealwood irrigation)
industrial (base building)

add in dropping decor objects as soon as you have a decent duplicant for this and granite is available

Pretty much nailed everything, except I normally splash a bit of decor early (even if it's not had the art applied to it :D ) to cut down on massage needs. I don't build deoxydizers for quite some time providing I have enough oxylite, but that's personal risk vs reward :p 

You won't go wrong with @Masterpintsman's list... 

Nothing wrong with setting up the own oxygen production early, in case pressure is high enough the Oxylite will simply stop to emit and stay as an emergency reserve.

Decor isn't needed early as they have new hope (iirc) and get boosts from new friend on a regular basis, so unless you let them wade through (polluted) water the whole time you can work them quite hard the first 10-15 cycles without that much stress.

Beds can be skipped the first 1-2 cycles, but the outhouse can't as their bladder size is limited and a mess will happen in cycle two should you postpone it.

Outhouse 2x first, beds built before first night. 

Go wide and open up green oxygen pockets so I can almost completely ignore my own "blue" oxygen production and find geysers to plan base. 

Research farming.

Overall game focus: sustainability (I mean like infinite # of dupes; not the cookie cutter 6)

The game itself is all about survival. If only 6 are sustained, then it is a colony of 6. However, I like growing my colony to it's maximum limit then expand infrastructure to host more, while having net positive energy generation. I find it impressive my power, waste, water can be so huge and ever expanding.

How I play (Modus Operandi):

• Cannot use debug mode to generate tiles/resources or look at map extremities
  • Must follow seed limits (e.g. 1-3 voids vs 0 voids, # of geysers) (*I love void tiles*)
  • No unfair use of unintended behavior (e.g. out-of-liquid tepidizer steam generation, wheezewort gas separation, cooling water via above block method, no-block-under-door gas lock)

Gameplay Review:

• Huge satisfaction from playing the game how it's currently implemented (subject to change by Devs)
  • Huge replay value - it's the only thing keeping me hooked on this game
  • If my colony fails (heat death, power outages, food famine) I get to learn that and take that lesson to the next colony

Colony Tactics:

• Easy Energy - Coal + Hatch farm, sustainable when you can purify polluted water -> infinite dirt (and sand if you can heat dirt) -> feed hatch farm -> get coal
  • Biome Destroyer - manage heat easily by just dumping heat into ice (irreversible)
  • Too Much Oxygen - Over abundance of oxygen simply via electrolyzers (new problem: heat)
  • Free Food - raid ice biomes of fallen, preserved sleet wheat

The Ultimate Colony:

• Geysers for endless water (limit: # of geysers on map), notable mentions: natural gas generators + nat. geysers for polluted water
  • Unlimited dirt/sand/dirt via evaporation of polluted water
  • Heat Management: finding the void tile to pump out hot carbon dioxide/chlorine
  • Diversified energy generation - hydrogen + coal + natural gas + hamster wheel
  • Maintains biome temperature - none of the biomes are altered beyond destruction

In my first (and current) playthrough, I pretty much went with building order to satisfy whatever needs the dupes have at the moment. Outhouse and oxygen probably comes first, then the beds. Then I built the research station and simply went with the research tree.

Got some massage tables just in case. Built a shower quite early in the game, cause I was getting fed up with people soaking wet and getting soggy feet, which happens kind of often during construction in new areas.

At some point I transitioned from hamsterwheels to coal, and from algae to oxydizers and air scrubbers, all while searching for more water, and putting up some farms.

Lastly, I switched to natural gas, and got some plant diversity, like bristle, and pepper.

I guess, as long as you take care about food and oxygen, you can do pretty much whatever you want. :) It's not like starcraft or something. :D

So I like a tight and tiny spaceship approach.  Initially I put dig out as little as I can -- and seal it all off behind airlocks.  First builds are 2 outhouses and as soon as I can a compost heap for the polluted dirt, this room gets an internal airlock.  Next I put in a research floor - hamster wheel + battery + research station.  Then I focus on adding a hamster-wheel + battery to two more floors so as to make three circuits.  Upper floor circuit is used to run deoxidizers, usually just two -- on on each side of the floor.  The lower circuit runs water pumps for the oxidizers and usually handles a musher as well.

At this point I then focus on a few new things:  I like to clean up my housing putting first four, then eventually six bedrooms around and above the printer -- two main ladders on each side of the printer serve everything by now.  The printer gets turned into research + cooking + massage + cot floor.  Below the printer I like a two height battery floor and a two height storage floor and below that a main water-tank I drain everything into.  Somewhere I'll find space for a mess-deck and a polluted water-tank as well.  This is my base core.  I then go through a quick look-see to make sure I am airlocked off from everything else.

I usually undertake a few simultaneous projects at that point.  I work on adding a head that is plumbed in -- usually two lavatories and a shower -- this goes above the water-tank and below the central storage and battery floors.  At the same time I am pushing to toss planters outside the base and using my mealwood seeds on them.  Finally I am usually desperately working on expanding above my roof to add a chamber for hydrogen collection and setting up my gas pump there -- I try to keep this sealed so I can open up natural airflow to it for my base.  Most airflow is from the two central ladder-shafts -- which are three wide and generally empty although I do put in gas permeable tiles to lessen jumping by the dupes.

Foodwise I focus on anything until lice start coming in -- which isn't long.  This usually does involve a few cycles where each night I add one mush-bar to the queue per dupe.  After that I turn off lice as a food source and switch the musher to continual production of lice-loaf and focus on eating that until sleet-wheat comes in.

Once that's done, I'm largely done with my core.  I'll add a hydrogen generator out side the core, plus a coal generator, and wire up heavy gauge wire to transfrormers which then feed my internal circuits.  I then start foraging, my goals are to expand out of my airlocks to find sleet-wheat, thimble-reed, and any geysers.  I plant sleetwheat in it's own biome in basic planters and just go harvest whenever.

I usually tell myself I'll go and set up around the geysers -- but mostly I get bored and reset the game by that point.

8 hours ago, indu said:

Outhouse 2x first, beds built before first night. 

Go wide and open up green oxygen pockets so I can almost completely ignore my own "blue" oxygen production and find geysers to plan base. 

Research farming.

I always do x2 outhouses too. Pooping happens faster and if one is getting cleaned out there is still another available for use.

Cycle 1: 2 outhouses, 3 beds. Gather long hanging fruit.

Cycle 2: hamster wheel, small battery, dexoydizer research station. Start work on farming.

Cycle 3: Another bedroom, explore further pockets. Break walls to condense fresh water pools into giant pool.

Cycle 4: microbe musher, start on battery tech, dig C02 pit, plant initial crop of mealwood

Cycle 5: Computer room, storage and battery room, research decor.

My end goal is to stabilize by cycle 20 and then go exploring, so my initial build doesn't depend on items from other biomes, at least not at first.

I usually go for ladders, 12 x 4 room set-up, copper mining, doors, algae mining, carbon dioxide ditch, outhouse, ladder into water reservoir, a place for my polluted dirt, power + battery + research set up + massage tables, storage compactor, decor,  oxygen de-oxidizer, pressure management getting all of the mealice + bristle blossom fruits I can harvest whilst leaving the ones that are predicted to bloom an excellent yield in their maintained pressure (I call these places nirvana), hoarding all the seeds, turning off the the printing pod, copying 12 x 4 room above and below to create a tower, micro musher and spam researching tier one  + electrolyzers + hydrogen generators.  I've probably missed somethings but eh.

I've had games where around cycle 300 my base looks like a giant rectangle that takes up main area and I get mad because I haven't really progressed farther then the temperate area and the convenient steam geyser because of a bad experience I had w/ chlorine once

Archived