So, Im finding that Ive semi handled most of the challenges in my current game or at least well enough that I can see how I would set things up better next time. The one thing Ive noticed that I have struggled with in previous games and this one is Food. My current game is hitting 101 cycles I have about 7-8 dupes and I'm seeing an imminent Food collapse.  Basically i expect to run out of seeds within the next food cycle and im not sure if my Cook can keep up with demand.

So first, what determines how many seeds I get? I got around 40 at the beginning I assume from wild plants and it seems to have slowly Dwindled off. Secondly My current farm is fertilized but not watered. In past games when I tried setting up irrigation it told me the wrong liquid was in the pipe (Fresh water) when i switched over to Poluted water it told me it was still the wrong liquid (although there may have beebn the previous water still in the pipe)  Finally, room temperature I just got an area hot enough to plant the pick a peppa's alothough they are not growing fast enough to prevent iminent food collapse. Setting a room to hot was easy but i cant figure out how to slightly lower a rooms temperature for plants that want he mid teens celcius. The hydro fans seem kind of useless.

The peppers are only spice added to bristles and sleat wheat - they're not a food in themselves.

You only get more seeds for mealwood, bristles when you achive excellent yield, for this you'll need to 3 out of [irrigate, fertilize, ideal pressure, ideal temperature]. Details are in the plant description on the garm tile (scroll down after clicking a plant at the top). Ideal pressure is somewhat simpler than ideal temperature as it only requires putting up ome oxygen makers, while temperature requires finetuning a heating/cooling system.

A good plan is to utilize the musher directly at the beginning, then research hydrophonic farm tile and setup mealwood with polluted water irrigation and a deoxidiser or two to keep pressure up. This should give you a renewable food source (as you'll be able to get more mealwood seeds) for the start.

The bug with farm tiles sticking to the wrong fluid should be fixed.

Ah I see so the fact that  I was running out of seeds  was because I wasn't getting stuff perfect  and by screwing up irrigation I had to get everything else right.  Good to Know thankyou.

Alternatively, farm mealwood in planters, using the musher to meal-lice bars. Once you have this up and running, setup a sleet-wheat farm in the nearest cold biome. These plants take an enormous length of time to mature (20 cycles) so you need to plan ahead. Because their output is seeds, there's no need to optimize their performance (fertilizer, irrigation, etc). Just spam more of them. 

By the time you run out of mealwood, you're sleet wheat should be running nicely, and then you can eventually upgrade to pepper bread. Bristle Berries are a nice challenge to get right, but since pepper bread exceeds expectations there's currently no real need to deal with the bristle berries.

I tried growing the berries but could not figure out how to lower the temperature the Fan's seemed to be kind of useless I couldnt figure out how to adjust the temperature slightly downward needed to grow them.  I'll try the giant wheat farms my next run,

Archived