Duplicant decision making

So i have 52 dupes at cycle 700ish, and i find they take upwards of 5 seconds each to pick a new task after completing one.. Does anyone know ways to make dupes pick tasks faster? Will having less things queued or giving them jobs help?

I see the same thing, I have 70 dupes. It takes like 1 minute after they wake to get all dupes working.

Think it started at 50 dupes for me. I had a dupe almost die because he forgot to stop holding breath. 

This is a known issue that has already been reported and has been acknowledged by the devs.

It is not lag related.  As the game will continue to operate at a normal speed, and other duplicants will continue to operate at normal speeds.

I've already determined a work-around for the issue while we wait for a fix.

It's actually related to Priority.

Your base has become so big that you likely have a LOT of things set at priority 5.

Set everything non-essential or pointless (like decor) to priority 1.  and only set essential items to priority 5.

The duplicants are actually looking through their priority list.. and if there are too many things to do that are all the same priority they take longer and longer to decide which of the same priority items should be done next.

See below.

9 hours ago, Nafei said:

The duplicants are actually looking through their priority list.. and if there are too many things to do that are all the same priority they take longer and longer to decide which of the same priority items should be done next.

Why not maintain the prioritized tasks in a simple priority queue instead of calculating priorities per dupe? I don't really know game development, so maybe there's a reason. It's possibly just not very high on your priority list? :D (Pun intended)

9 hours ago, Nafei said:

This is a known issue that has already been reported and has been acknowledged by the devs.

It is not lag related.  As the game will continue to operate at a normal speed, and other duplicants will continue to operate at normal speeds.

I've already determined a work-around for the issue while we wait for a fix.

It's actually related to Priority.

Your base has become so big that you likely have a LOT of things set at priority 5.

Set everything non-essential or pointless (like decor) to priority 1.  and only set essential items to priority 5.

See below.

Something to add to this that was brought up on a recent stream...

I'm currently in the midst of an "accept every dupe" challenge, sitting at just under 100 dupes I believe. We've observed dupes literally finishing their current task and then stalling for 5+ seconds to decide what to do next (as you mentioned : "delay after dupe completes work before it determines its next activity.").

It was mentioned by "Cmarch" that optimizing the Jobs page to specialize dupe tasks would result in a more efficient workforce, however my colony is currently too laggy to really test the difference. Maybe something for a spreadsheet wizard like Brothgar or somebody to look into? 

I'm not sure how the code works of course, however it seems to make sense that if a dupe is only assigned to say 20% of the tasks available in your base, that their "priority-searching for next task" process should be quicker?

Archived