What to do with all the CO2 from natural gas? Sustainable?

Hello all, 

I have a pretty solid colony going, but I find that my biggest issue at the moment is managing CO2. Air scrubbers are less than ideal because of the sand requirements. right now i'm building a liquifier to store the CO2, but again that's not exactly permanent. 

Any thoughts/ideas?

I don't think you need sand for the air scrubbers, if you mean sand for water filtration, I would say you should use a geyser and to get rid of the contaminated water your best use I think would be the fertilizer maker so you can also keep a consistent supply of food from plants growing.

I don't like the idea of killing dupes, I always try to keep all my little buddies alive personally. As for the fertilizer makers, I haven't been able to make my fully functional dupetopia yet because my games keep getting too laggy or glitchy, which I chalk up to it still being early in development and just how much the game has to keep track of after a while between gasses, liquids, and materials and -all- of their locations and individual stats  per tile. But it also depends on how many dupes you have spawned in your games, I usually try to go for Less is More in terms of dupes, I usually stick to 5-10, unless you specify specific jobs for each one I find too many dupes tend to get confused with their jobs far easier and it takes them much longer to accomplish tasks than having a small group, though my other issue is I try to build too big and that's what causes my world to crash. But I think a single gas geyser is able to power about 4 generators, which is quite a bit of power, maybe that isn't accurate since I'm not always able to use all the power I generate, so maybe 2 is more realistic, but with just those 5-10 dupes that is still a lot of power off of one geyser so it shouldn't be too difficult to power everything, especially with multiple gas geysers around the map.

I haven't been able to use this world enough to test it completely but this was the setup I had for my generators, I think 6 generators to 1 scrubber is too much, but also you don't want to make a vacuum that I've noticed otherwise your buildings will overheat and break (Im guessing because there is no heat transference in a vacuum so it just rapidly overheats itself, or its a glitch, one of the two) so you want some extra gas in there no matter what, I had the wheezeworts in there hoping it would help keep things cool as well, and some water spilled in there as I sealed it off which was just sort of a happy accident in keeping things cool,  basically it just sucks in the CO2 and I have a clean water reservoir on the left and a polluted reservoir on the right. And the generators plus cleansing the CO2 and showers/lavatories should generate plenty of polluted water for making fertilizer, and all those generators should be able to power anything you need as I said before, and if you don't have an insane amount of dupes, you shouldn't need nearly as much fertilizer or power to maintain everything. Again I haven't done all this perfectly yet because my worlds keep becoming unsustainable due to instability, but if I ever manage it I'll post some screens and such.

20170601210601_1.jpg

Theoretically, a Void tile will let you dispose of any and all unwanted gasses and offset the acculumation of byproducts from the Natural Gas generator.

Alternatively, as mentioned above, scrubbers work great. Evaporating the resulting polluted water may be an option as well.

Air Scrubbers dont need sand, they need water which is unlimited.

Power is unlimited with Natural Gas Geyser. I put my Fertilizer Maker near that.

I'm having a little excess polluted water thinking of planting more Mealwood (or Pincha) instead of Wheat and Bristle Berries.

or set this up 
GPZT26E.png

water should be less than 1kg per tile to prevent liquid overpressurised.

zero energy and resource consume , can store any gas ,also can apply in other use such as oxygen venting :confused: if you like cyan colour ,,,

Try using Algae terrarium. I feel like it gets a lot of undeserved bad press. It actually use LESS clean water (300g/s) compare to air scrubber (1000g/s) and little alge (30g/sec or so) and destroy equally the same amount of CO2 and doesn't produce any heat or negative decor. On top of that, it makes some O2 as well so it 's a plus. You can pump in some water underneath the floor and the terrarium will automatically sucks in the water so dupes don't have to deliver water. They still need to deliver alge from times to time though but it's manageable. You can build 3 terrarium for the same amount of water you feed for 1 air scrubber. Think about it.

4 hours ago, AsterFenix said:

Try using Algae terrarium. I feel like it gets a lot of undeserved bad press. It actually use LESS clean water (300g/s) compare to air scrubber (1000g/s) and little alge (30g/sec or so) and destroy equally the same amount of CO2 and doesn't produce any heat or negative decor.

Algae Terrarium destroys 0.333 g/s of CO2. One third of a gram. That's hell inefficient for 300 g of water and 30 g of algae. You need six terrariums to clean up CO2 produced by one duplicant.

8 hours ago, Kasuha said:

Algae Terrarium destroys 0.333 g/s of CO2. One third of a gram. That's hell inefficient for 300 g of water and 30 g of algae. You need six terrariums to clean up CO2 produced by one duplicant.

And you need 900 terrariums to match a scrubber. 270 kg/s of water. Quite a bit more than 1 kg/s.

I have 5 fertilizer makers in a sealed room with an air pump bottom right side of the room as natural gas collects there. The fert makers produce enough gas to power a gas generator which in turn powers the fert makers. I can get one air scrubber to convert the co2 from 3 gas generators comfortably into polluted water which goes straight into he fert machines with room to spare for more.

All the things I mentioned are all linked together in some way on the same set up. 

Use your CO2 for plants, they will use it for grow and delete it slowly.
U will need a lot of contaminated water in lategame, so scrubbers are needed too.
For early game, store it in a chamber with the vent trick.

Here's a lil video of it running :)

Natural Gas Sustainable System Calculator

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QqYNQLynCJq-LcTHhYiV16yCzq7nB9bMY7vsV_qo9bE/edit?usp=sharing

Resource\Building Natural Gas Generator CO2 Scrubber Fertilizer Maker Coal Gen Hatches        
Amount of each building 1 0.2942675555 2.40845037 0.289013333 0.6936319992     Total  
Power (W) 800 -35.31210666 -289.0140444 173.4079998 0     649.0818487 Power (W)
Heat (?) 20 1.471337778 9.031688888 13.00559999 0     43.50862665 Heat (?)
Water 0 -294.2675555 0 0 0     -294.2675555 Water
Polluted Water 67 294.2675555 -361.2675555 0 0     0 Polluted Water
Carbon Dioxide 82.5 -88.28026666 0 5.78026666 0     0 Carbon Dioxide
Natural Gas -60 0 48.1690074 0 0     -11.8309926 Natural Gas
Fertilizer 0 0 289.0140444 0 -289.013333     0.0007114266667 Fertilizer
Coal 0 0 0 -289.013333 289.013333     0 Coal

Power doesn't include pumps filters etc.

Hatches are an estimated throughput. 

Archived