Guesses on the next big patch

Id like to see a "Biological Update" where chlorine, natural gas and hydrogen kill, polluted oxygen and diseases have real debilitating effects (like incapacitated, must use medical), wildlife can be captured and caged. Decor and Food quality cause depression in the short term (lowered stats or refusal to work) instead of just stress over time.

I find it's really easy to just ignore almost every negative thing in the game besides starvation and co2 and brute force your way into building whatever you want.

so far some of update parts were kinda exact same like forum posts, i think we will get some new stress responses. if they go reactionary, they gonna fix the door cooling and some other heat transfer issues. probably some rebalancing in power producing. probably something animal related stuff

My vote goes for "Wellbeing" Update with proper use for medicine and more factors affecting Dupes as mentioned like polluted oxygen and FINALLY make Dupes need to drink water (maybe water fountain) ?!? Also more Decor options/effects, importance to light and perhaps other ways to reduce stress.

13 hours ago, Mitsuru said:

more electric update plzzz

I'm tire the problem of overloaded circuits. Is has very problem and I don't know how to solve it, the normal wire sometime is overloaded circuits with out reason (I'm checking is not the overload than it handle) and the heavy wire can't put in the tile while most of my colony has a close room for environment control.

Use power transformers, I have my battery farm outside my base and run all electricity into it using transformers, I then run all electricity out of it using transformers for up to 1000W, this prevents anything from overloading, when I get home I will show you a picture to help make sense of it.

I put some more thought to it and while I do think a medical/biological/etc update looks like a logic next step, I noticed a lot of posts lately pointing out what happens when heating up materials. Now we got physical interactions going between the temperature and the material, but no explicit game mechanics have been built around it. Like how you can turn for instance wolframite into tungsten, or iron ore into iron (or perhaps even steel?). One topic even has shown how you can turn clay into an unnamed material supposedly being brick.

So maybe not the next big patch, but I think we might get eventually to something like an "advanced materials" patch, where you for instance get blast furnaces, or furnaces for bricks. Generally buildings to create advanced materials. Maybe even get some functionality out of the carbondioxide (I'm not sure about the laws of physics here if you could use carbondioxide, but to get good quality steel or iron you need to bond a certain percentage of carbon atoms to it.). These advanced materials could be either used in advanced new buildings, or in existing ones to cope with more extreme situations or raise decor.

It makes sense as for instance iron ore in real life is brittle and full of impurities. To get it to an usable state, you need to heat it up (and preferable melt at around 1500 degrees celcius) to get rid of those impurities and to get carbon atoms bonded into it. After that it still needs to be hammered and again heated to a certain temperature (I believe around 800 degrees?) and quinching it (preferable in a special type of oil). I'm not saying you need to do all of that as that will make the game way too real and way too complicated, but some reflection of resource processing would be a welcome challenge and indeed outside of having any real use, is already present in game.

On 6/1/2017 at 11:29 AM, BlueLance said:

Unfortunately I do not understand what you mean by partial pressures haha. 

Partial pressure is a way of modeling multiple gases in the same space. It would mean that rather than a tile containing just one gas, it could contain some amount of many gases. This would allow gases to spread out better.

But I don't think they will do this, because it would make it harder to tell what's going on.

On 6/1/2017 at 2:38 PM, Risu said:

Fishing, building upgrades, suits, and refinement are all possibilities.

Fair few plants and creatures waiting to be finished as well.

As those already partly in game code, yup those are most likely.
From this list i am waiting for fishes, as i want to see it in game since i saw it in launch screen, haha :)

Tho, i myself dreaming about conveyor belts for better delivery system and automation *___*
Of course, it's unlikely, but we still can dream, don't we? :p

I would expect a Creatures Upgrade. We have recipes with meat, but meat is such a limited resource currently. We will get Hatch Breeding and Herding :). Maybe some more aggressive creatures where the Combat skill starts to make sense. Maybe a weapons station and alarm systems.

2 hours ago, O.n.y said:

Tho, i myself dreaming about conveyor belts for better delivery system and automation *___*
Of course, it's unlikely, but we still can dream, don't we? :p

Exactly this! I myself was thinking about item pipes, but conveyor belts would be great too. This would make automation possible, but also moving items into/out of sealed rooms. I really wanted this to be in the game for a room full of fertelizer makers and gas pumps, and the natural gas escaping every single time a dupe would want to pick up fertilizer.

Funny think pop in my mind, That would be a some kind of fish tank that can generator power? like electric eel irl. But with far more powerful to give power to run in your colony. and to keep that fish give the power, you must have something to feed them to product the energy? and must be a new plant for animal feeding.

I'll chime in with liking to have medicine be more important as well. It's become a bit silly that we have this idea that certain things make duplicants sick, but we can safely ignore it. It's become pretty common to use "water locks", even though dupes get the "soaking wet" debuff from them.

The Apothecary also has very little use - you can either make pills that have a minimal chance of healing disease, or you can make pills that heal only diarrhea, which I've never observed a dupe having.

So it looks like medicine in the game is very preliminary, and could use a lot of love.

I'm hoping for machinery for the next content update. Replace the black box power generators with gears, pulleys, boilers, turbines, alternators, etc. More fundamental parts to make fun creations with. Also I hope they change hydrogen generators, etc to actually consume oxygen and not be blatant 2nd-law violating water-into-power machines. And add air locks as a new type of door - slower, uses more power, but prevents any exchange of gases when dupes go through.

18 hours ago, QuantumPion said:

I'm hoping for machinery for the next content update. Replace the black box power generators with gears, pulleys, boilers, turbines, alternators, etc. More fundamental parts to make fun creations with. Also I hope they change hydrogen generators, etc to actually consume oxygen and not be blatant 2nd-law violating water-into-power machines. And add air locks as a new type of door - slower, uses more power, but prevents any exchange of gases when dupes go through.

In an electrolyzer / hydrogen power setup, the biggest issue is not really the 2nd law (of thermodynamics, I assume?) as much as it is conservation of mass and energy. Geysers generate endless water, and hydrogen is essentially destroyed.

. . . although I don't see that as a major issue as long as the balance of the game is preserved. When all is said and done, water is converted into oxygen and electricity, and you can't re-create water using machinery. Steam geysers might be a bit OP though.

I should note that in real life, storing energy in chemical bonds is possible - that's how batteries work.

I definitely want proper air locks, to avoid the whole "water lock" situation.

51 minutes ago, Risu said:

It's just a flying worm, with tiny wings.

And the Puft is just a flying balloon?

It also has an area-of-effect electric attack.

But sure, it's "just a flying worm" now, but that doesn't mean that's all it'll be if/when it gets added. I really wouldn't expect it to get added in its current state, unless it has some mechanism for respawning and is supposed to make combat a thing.

I would like to see turbines added. Or some other way of converting heat into electricity.

I would also really really like some processes/machines to be rethought so that they work more accordingly with real life (barring weird magical additions like the fauna and flora that would help correct mistakes/inefficiencies in your base setup), though I doubt that will happen. I think the main offenders right now are the generators (they should all consume oxygen), the relationship between plants and oxygen (algae produce oxygen but are consumed in the process? And farming plants doesn't produce any oxygen at all?), and the destruction of water by some structures (farming in particular would have to be tuned so that you can't farm for free, then you would get the water back when your dupes visit the lavatory).

One of the things that draws me the most to the game is the waste management aspect of it, so seeing things that create stuff out of nothing (e.g. electrolyzer/hydrogen generator) or that destroy resources (algae and water being the big ones) was a bit of a bummer, since everything should be sustainable, aside from heat build up.

...which isn't to say I am not hooked to the game.

I'm going to have to say the following after putting in 100+ hours into the game. The game lacks the following aspects severely:

1. Continued Research/Expanded trees
    1. Research right now is a one time thing when in practice should be a continuous process. Want that ore smelter? Research. How about that nuclear reactor? Yes, research
    2. Possible Trees
      1. Cooking
      2. Metal Refining
      3. New sensors/logic
      4. Sources of power (nuclear, geothermal, steam)
      5. New construction materials
  2. Material Refining
    1. Smelting - Specifically used to address the lack of any option to melt metals effectively. Possibly a furnace or number of objects (or research branch) that can produce heat up to a few thousand kelvin.
    2. Clothing
    3. Food
  3. Map Exploration
    1. Current map is repetitive and boring at the extremities. There should be rewards for venturing out (i.e. more metals, rare ores)
  4. Creatures
    1. Added as aesthetics or alternatives to technology/renewable resources
  5. High Temperature
  6. End Game Impending Doom (or escape ;) )
    1. Out of resources
    2. Heat Death
    3. Pollution
    4. Decay
    5. OH and DUPE Death due to Aging. This will change things at the core!

1 hour ago, CodingKitteh said:

OH and DUPE Death due to Aging. This will change things at the core!

This idea is very interesting.

Do dupes have a fixed live span? (so every dupe dies after X amount of cycles) or does it vary? or gets affected by health status during their live.

Also, while picking your dupes in the printing pod you would also see their age and younger dupes would have lower expectations and skill levels than the older more experienced ones?

On 6/1/2017 at 7:27 AM, Lumina said:

A way to manage monster better. Maybe even reproduce them in really good conditions.

A way to create resources like coal and slime (so you can have renewable algae), maybe even sand.

More things to discover when exploring the world.

More dangers, that appear over time, so you need to prepare, instead on focusing only on building your base.

I second this idea, it'd be nice to have dangerous creatures preferably of different types that suit the environment or biome they live in. Right now, apart from toxic gas there isn't any particular danger in the game, Morbs, Hatches and Pufts are rather friendly creatures with slight drawbacks.

8 hours ago, SamLogan said:

Also, once you have all the recipes you can just destroy the machines.

Yeah. That's what I do. :D

17 hours ago, CodingKitteh said:
    1. OH and DUPE Death due to Aging. This will change things at the core!

Then you'd have to handle retirement and pensions. ;)

2 hours ago, Nidhoggur said:

Then you'd have to handle retirement and pensions. ;)

Not to mention reproduction. That'll give the follow cam an entirely new meaning.

5 minutes ago, turbonl64 said:

Not to mention reproduction. That'll give the follow cam an entirely new meaning.

Can they reproduce? in the end if you look at what they are made from they are not human:P haha but the choice of ingredients is well played.

I am super excited to hear what they come up with.

Archived