About Maxwell.. (frustrated)

9 hours ago, CantBreathe said:

I really want to be able to play a world solo. Including reseting the ruins by defeating fuelweaver.

Helicalpuma is doing a solo playthrough as Maxwell on You Tube where you can probably pick up some strats. 

@CantBreathe I've played maxwell in DS and DST - I agree 100% with @Sinister_Fang What he says is true.

1) Don't bother with duelists.  DST is a game where you should be able to ace nearly any opponent without taking much damage.  Learn to toggle your armor on and just drop your backpack for fights.  You don't have to choose 1 or the other most times, just drop the pack during fights.

2) Only summon your minions when you want them to get to work.  When I start a game I just drop the nightmare fuel I start with until I've explored the world and know where I want to start a base (I play topside, and maybe 2nd year go into caves.)  Nightmare fuel doesn't decay like some other starting items, so you can just come back to get it later.  Once you know where you want your base to be summon enough minions to hold you in insanity.  It's been a while, but I think it's 1 duelist and 2 axe men that put you there...  farm up a stack of nightmare fuel.  Go to a forest and make 3 axemen and a shovel man.  Clear lots of the forest, maybe 200-300+ logs before you stop.  Unsummon your ppl and transport this back to base.  Go to the rock land and do the same for rocks / flint / gold / nitre.  Once this is done, unsummon and take everything back to base.

3) Never keep a shadow minion around when you aren't using them.  They are only resource gatherers.  Your perk isn't the ability to have shadows out during a fight - your perk is a massive sanity bonus that lets you wear shadow armor and use dark swords with ease.  You can farm nightmare and living logs easily.  You will not fight as well as Wolfgang, if you want perks to fight well just play Wolfgang.  You don't have to be married to any character.  If you'd rather play Maxwell you will have less leniency in combat, it is a choice you must consciously agree to.

1 hour ago, Shosuko said:

It's been a while, but I think it's 1 duelist and 2 axe men that put you there...  farm up a stack of nightmare fuel.

It's actually 2 duelists and 1 worker. I personally prefer using diggers due to them being the least destructive, but any of them will work. I find it kinda annoying when a puppet begins to work on marble or tree farms before they're fully ready to be taken care of.

12 hours ago, Shosuko said:

@CantBreathe I've played maxwell in DS and DST - I agree 100% with @Sinister_Fang What he says is true.

Thank you, I really appreciate your reply. It's the honest answer free of pretense that I was looking for.

I've come to accept that Maxwell isn't any of the other characters and has his own style.

However since my original post I've been using Wolfgang and having a great time.

I won't be able to get over the wasted opportunity with his duelists and the poor A.I.

30 minutes ago, CantBreathe said:

I won't be able to get over the wasted opportunity with his duelists and the poor A.I.

Well that is only half his perks. It's kinda nice not having to micromanage sanity as much. Not like it's hard to do on a normal character, but it's just one less thing to worry about and waste time doing. Maxwell was kinda built on abusing your sanity, so I do exactly that with frequent use of wormholes and dark swords.

Although if you play Maxwell as much as I have, you'll eventually get over the wasted potential of duelists. I tend to forget about their existence unless someone mentions them on the forums, or if I need to farm nightmare fuel ingame.

Archived