(Powered) Thermal Transfer Tiles

The idea is the thermal transfer tiles (T3s for short?) will draw heat from one side and deposit it on the other. Additionally, when not powered they will act the same as an insulation tile.

For example: at a rate similar to a wheezewart, for maybe 80W per tile, it is possible to create room-sized coolers/heaters, while needing to deal with the temperature gain/loss on the other side as a consequence.

As an added challenge, since it will likely operate on an airflow through a heat sink idea, if the heat drawing side (the cooling side) is in contact with water or chlorine while powered, the tile will take damage.

And if either side is against a vacuum, the tile will consume power but transfer no heat.

Why radiator should take damage for being in contact with some fluids?

Spoiler

Other than that and 80W per tile what is ridiculously low great idea.

What transfer rate would you like it to have.

I think it would have to be 2tiles high to be doable.

16 hours ago, Fernir said:

Why radiator should take damage for being in contact with some fluids?

I had a fan powered heat sync in mind, similar to the CPU cooler most computers use. Which, as far as I can tell, wouldn't enjoy being submerged in water. But lets take this a step further and say you're right, assuming a heat sync is still involved, contaminated water and chlorine could still logically cause damage. Contaminated water would cause a buildup inside the vents, and chlorine would corrode.

I'm just brainstorming potential pros/cons. An easy game isn't fun :(

16 hours ago, Fernir said:

Other than that and 80W per tile what is ridiculously low great idea.

What transfer rate would you like it to have.

I think it would have to be 2tiles high to be doable.

I feel the Watt requirement should reflect the transfer rate, and as a later stage item you're right it should be much higher.

I figured the Wheezewort °C/s would be decent benchmark for heat transfer.

1/2/3 tiles high doesn't matter too much, as long as it is either pocket sized or awkward, allowing or forcing players to be more creative with the room layouts.

16 hours ago, jirkazr said:

This exists IRL and is known as Peltier cell. 

I'm surprised I haven't heard of that yet! I 100% believe it will come up in a future electrochemistry or thermochemistry class, very clever little thing!

16 hours ago, jirkazr said:

Well, I guess the regular fluid-based refrigerator also does the same thing, but Peltier effect is way cooler. Also, the humm of a compressor drives me crazy.

I imagine the colony to be in an awkward "Mad Max" state of dirty future tech, and the hummm would keep with the role playing haha.. BUT it would need to only be audible when the screen is zoomed and centered over the device, otherwise it would get annoying.

Agree that there should be heat transfer related power consumption because Peltier's cells generate current when passively conducting heat.

I would like suggest adding refrigerator heat exchanger system that would be 4 times more efficient but would get polluted dirt deposit (only in heater up position) if it caused evaporation of polluted water and would get damaged by overheated chlorine.

Both should have maximum temperature difference to make it a bit harder to make absurd contraptions that heat up polluted water on one side and cool steam on the other side.

Archived