Why does this happen?

Emm.. i don't have any idea but i'm pretty sure it's a bad idea showing us your IP , was looking on Google if there was something strange and i already know in which part of the world (and in what city you live in) so be carefull with that ')'.

If what OP says is right, that's just the localhost loopback address (127.0.0.1) in reverse, which is just what you would use to connect back to your own computer. I don't think he's revealed anything here that could identify his location.

@Angi Thats why I chose a player using his localhost address

#Topic 

Well, interestingly, I took a look around and realized that it happens to server addresses as well.

try it,

right click on a player playing on a server -> view game info

this would normally show ip address that the player is connected to, but most of the time, its written in reverse!

maybe (and just maybe) the reason behind this is why ping times appear as "???"

btw, ip addresses are not dangerous to show, in fact, any website you open, any connection you make over the internet would share your ip address with other hosts.

First of all, localhost aka 127.0.0.1 just means your local machine, you cannot get any info off of that. Second, I've hosted many games on localhost and never seen a not responding screen, thus I've never seen how the IP address is represented there. It may be normal for it to be backwards. Ping times appear as ??? when icmp reply is disabled on the server or by their ISP. You can see a server showing ping ??? and still have a stable connection to it

Edit: Assuming the ping time is actually measured trough ICMP, haven't checked.

Archived