Remove Athletics from Professions (Natural Game Timer)

I haven't been playing for more then a few days now, although i've been binging on it pretty hard, but what i've noticed on my longest playthrough so far (100 cycles) is that every Duplicate ends up being a runner with Athletics being the highest skill because it just easily outlevels everything else.

This also affects how quickly their food quality/Decor needs increase, as athletics levels with time spent moving among other things, so its a natural level increase every cycle. I'd like to see other skills mattering more as far as duplicate level goes, as I feel Athletics currently adds somewhat of a natural timer to the game (which maybe was intended?) And forces you to seek other food sources/stress activities ASAP for quality reasons rather then being able to take your time and focus on sustainability or slow expansion as you please.

I still like that athletics increases over time, but maybe either make it a background stat so dupe levels matter more on their other professions, or bring the other skill leveling more in line.

I'd say replace sweeping's Athletics focus with Strength. There should obviously be a cap on strength, but that would help give strength a way to develop, take some emphasis off Athletics, and make sense in the world of since you are hauling things all day.

Strenght is the only stat i care about when i pick new dupes (traits are different things but yeah). Anything else can be grinded to high level but strength? I don't know anything that would increase it. Does it really matter if it says runner or not?

9 hours ago, cpy said:

Strenght is the only stat i care about when i pick new dupes (traits are different things but yeah). Anything else can be grinded to high level but strength? I don't know anything that would increase it. Does it really matter if it says runner or not?

Yea, atm strength is the only stat that seems to matter that you can't otherwise raise. It doesn't really matter that the profession says, but it's kind of ridiculous when Athletics ends up being 2 or 3 times higher then any other skill.

7 hours ago, jirkazr said:

If high athletics cause you trouble, then just get a fresh set of dupes and kill off the old ones. It's the obvious solution. ^_^

I don't really think killing off Dupes because athletics is leveling so fast is a good solution although it is possible given how often you can replace them. Again it's more about the fact that with Athletics naturally raising so often and quickly, there is a natural timer put on your colony about needing to meet decor/food expectations that is quite a bit more extreme then what would be dictated by the other skills. When you are starting at 0, and Athletics is still doubling the level of all the other skills despite near constant building/digging etc then your dupes might as well just be leveling naturally every cycle rather then have it based off of any of the other skills, and that doesn't make sense.

The entire dupe stat mechanic is due for a massive overhaul anyway. I can't see the randomness of the starting dupes lasting for more than beta. I'm confident they'll fine tune it towards being more robust and level.

Archived