Polluted oxygen needs buff!

So I always scrupulously scrub every bit of polluted oxygen from my base but now I'm watching a new Skye Storme's series on Youtube and he doesn't care about polluted oxygen at all. His entire base is polluted and it hardly makes a difference. Seems the only downside is your dupes get diseased which is not a big deal. Polluted oxygen definitelly feels like a much more harmless danger than Klei maybe intended.

The game is currently in the early alpha stage. As such I'm pretty sure the PO / disease system, like several other current systems, are just basic placeholders that allow the game to be played and tested, but not a lot more. Much the same way food and agriculture was until the most recent major update.

If you could go forward in time and compare the consequences to dups of breathing PO in the finish release, and what we have now, I'd sure you'd find them vastly different. But until then you just have to wait until this particular system is fleshed out. 

16 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

Asthma/bronchitis if exposed to smoggy "polluted" oxygen for too long? :D 

Causes a permanent Athletics debuff to their max athletics and/or reduces their stamina more rapidly on Hamster wheels?

When polluted oxygen becomes real hazard, we'll also need tools to deal with it. At present it's pretty darn impossible to expand to swamp biome without exposing dupes to polluted oxygen for a large chunk of time. And since swamp biome is source of everything good (geysers->water, oxygen, power) you need to expand there ASAP. The only standard tool available to deal with polluted oxygen is the air deodorizer and that eats tons of sand. I'm not sure if it's feasible to try to deodorize whole swamp biome as you're trying to conquer it, I would guess you'll run out of sand pretty soon.

I have been trying to avoid polluted oxygen as much as possible, I think maybe they would add a type of suit that you can make in the textiles section? Like a HazMat suit.

At the moment I am experimenting with trying to vent out most of the gas and putting it into a sealed chamber that has an unused pump to later freeze it (I have yet to try this so that will be a laugh) This is to prepare for when polluted oxygen becomes a bigger threat. I think even if you used deodorizers your dupes would still come into contact with a lot of the gas and with slime producing more it would be difficult.

Correct me if I am wrong but doesnt heating up clay eventually turn it back into sand?

11 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

Correct me if I am wrong but doesnt heating up clay eventually turn it back into sand?

It is theoretically possible to make sand by heating up other materials, but you need temperatures that the available machinery doesn't support at the moment. Most of your heat sources will start breaking at 125 C even if made of gold amalgam. You can make sand by dropping materials on magma I guess but only until the magma cools down.

34 minutes ago, Kasuha said:

When polluted oxygen becomes real hazard, we'll also need tools to deal with it. At present it's pretty darn impossible to expand to swamp biome without exposing dupes to polluted oxygen for a large chunk of time. And since swamp biome is source of everything good (geysers->water, oxygen, power) you need to expand there ASAP. The only standard tool available to deal with polluted oxygen is the air deodorizer and that eats tons of sand. I'm not sure if it's feasible to try to deodorize whole swamp biome as you're trying to conquer it, I would guess you'll run out of sand pretty soon.

That's my thinking - I think people get so upset by "polluted oxygen" because of the word "polluted" - but if any of you are living in a city right now, surely you're all bathing in pollution too :p The term "polluted" is a relative term and doesn't denote a) what the pollution is, other than it's emitted by dirty water/slime, and b) how harmful it really is for dupes that are, lest we forget, made entirely of ooze and cuteness :D 

I'd like to see some more negatives for choosing to use P-O2, however I think they should be negative effects towards efficiency, rather than potential death ;) Basically if you want your dupes in tip-top condition, give them the best O2, if not - make do with them being 10% slower when breathing P-O2 for example.

Gonna second Lifegrow -- I think a debuff is probably the best thing for breathing Polluted Oxygen.  There certainly are major long-term health effects from living and breathing too much smog -- but most of those are well beyond the time-frame in which dupes and colonies live.  For that short term I think something impairing efficiency, like another debuff -- plus maybe more stress as well, would feel right to me.

Without a practical means of making sand I'm not sure the deodorizer cuts it.  That said, I'm a total newb who never played this thing before this past weekend and mostly pretty much sucks.  So ... I could easily be completely wrong.

32 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

I have been trying to avoid polluted oxygen as much as possible, I think maybe they would add a type of suit that you can make in the textiles section? Like a HazMat suit.

This thing makes it actually.

20170531110131_1.jpg

And here's the "suit" being recharged.

20170531111150_1.jpg

1 hour ago, Kasuha said:

I think it all depends on how diseases are implemented... If they are only caught by sustained exposure, and treating them is reasonably easy, then construction excursions to tame geysers will be possible, if requiring having some medical recourse available (not too dissimilar to having your rejuvenator handy when playing around with lava and steam). I would like to see a system where keeping your base a mess of polluted oxygen is not sustainable, but brief trips through it aren't going to kill you. In such a scenario, you just have air fresheners in the airlocks on the way to the swamp, and they only use a trivial amount of sand.

My $0.02

if they buff polluted O2, we can control permission to access polluted area with Electric powered Airlock. 

with that, we can choose polluted area Explorer (Such as Hich Medicine, natural robust talent) 

What I think is we should improve duplicants equipment other than just clothing. 

1. Gas mask (sand + industrial)

2. Meal Box (extended food consumption for further exploration)

any better idea?

I would like this too, but only if better tools are put into the game, for dealing with polluted oxygen. Right now, only the air deorderize gets rid of polluted oxygen. Another option is one of the rather convoluted filtration systems that will not appeal to moderate or casual players, that are a little exploity, and require micromanagement to avoid consequences.

I also don't think many people would think of this on their own, for obvious reasons.

14 hours ago, Woollyhats said:

I would like this too, but only if better tools are put into the game, for dealing with polluted oxygen. Right now, only the air deorderize gets rid of polluted oxygen. Another option is one of the rather convoluted filtration systems that will not appeal to moderate or casual players, that are a little exploity, and require micromanagement to avoid consequences.

I also don't think many people would think of this on their own, for obvious reasons.

If you wanted to only get rid of the Polluted Oxygen then even if you froze the polluted stuff wouldn't it melt eventually? If so then it is a solution for getting rid of the Polluted oxygen and over a long period of time It slowly seeps clean oxygen back into your base. 

19 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

If you wanted to only get rid of the Polluted Oxygen then even if you froze the polluted stuff wouldn't it melt eventually? If so then it is a solution for getting rid of the Polluted oxygen and over a long period of time It slowly seeps clean oxygen back into your base. 

Polluted oxygen turns into regular liquid oxygen so its clean once it evaporates. you can still do it by cooling hydrogen and running it thru granite gas piping in the polluted area

42 minutes ago, Townkill said:

Polluted oxygen turns into regular liquid oxygen so its clean once it evaporates. you can still do it by cooling hydrogen and running it thru granite gas piping in the polluted area

Well there you go, a solution to get rid of polluted oxygen using only electricity, and it will slowly feed oxygen back into your base when it evaporates! I will have to give this a try as I have a massive pit full of Polluted Oxygen haha

Archived