Why does my power layout not work?

Ok so the way I try and do my power layout is very simple.

-> [Transformer] -> [RWire] -> [Base]
[Natural Gen] -> [Hwire] -> [Battery's] -> [HWire] -> [Transformer] -> [RWire] -> [Base]

So I built it like this. Somehow the batteries are not being filled, power is making it to the transformer (says 1000/1000) and then somehow no power is going from the transformers to my base. Im honestly stumped here.

The layout as you draw it should work. Batteries on the heavy wire part will only charge from surplus after requirements of all branches behind transformers are satisfied, so it's not uncommon that they wouldn't charge. But if you say no power goes through transformers, that's strange. Care to post a screenshot or your save?

19 minutes ago, TheEllimist said:

[Natural Gen] -> [Hwire] -> [Battery's] -> [HWire] -> [Transformer] -> [RWire] -> [Base]

So I built it like this. Somehow the batteries are not being filled, power is making it to the transformer (says 1000/1000) and then somehow no power is going from the transformers to my base. Im honestly stumped here.

Put batteries on the Rwire -> base :) 

33 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

Put batteries on the Rwire -> base :) 

Hmm. But then the batteries would have different levels of charge. A very inelegant design >.<

Any idea why having all the batteries together doesn't work? Is it the intended design?

Batteries between power gen -> transformers are only storing power for when the transformers "request" it.

Batteries AFTER transformers leading to your normal wire can take surplus wattage and store it on the circuit for later, leading to less machine downtime.

26 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

Batteries between power gen -> transformers are only storing power for when the transformers "request" it.

Batteries AFTER transformers leading to your normal wire can take surplus wattage and store it on the circuit for later, leading to less machine downtime.

Hmm alright, one more question. Can a wire bridge support heavy wires?

3 hours ago, Lifegrow said:

Batteries after transformers may cause your circuit to overload and become damaged in case you install too many appliances on it and they all ask for power at once. Transformer alone has an issue and may not be able to supply full 1 kW but will never overload your circuit.

11 hours ago, TheEllimist said:

just to make sure. how many NG Gen are you building?

The batteries are only starting to fill when the Gen produce extra power.

That's after the gen already feeding enough power to those transformers.

I' have a similar issue.  My layout is:

[Generator(s)] -> [HWire] -> [Battery Bank] -> [Transformer] -> [Rwire] -> [Battery (singular)] -> [Circuit]
                                                                    -> [Transformer] -> [Rwire] -> [Battery (singular)] -> [Circuit]
                                                                    -> [Transformer] -> [Rwire] -> [Battery (singular)] -> [Circuit]

etc.  The problem is that random transformers will draw an unusual amount of power, often mirroring another of the transformers on the circuit.  For example, right now I have a transformer for my oxygen supply that has a max draw of 960w.  Generally it pulls about 720.  Another transformer on my circuit is currently only providing power to a refrigerator, drawing 120w.  However, when I look at the circuit the generators are on, it shows one transformer drawing the appropriate 720w to 960w.  The other transformer draws 400w and when the first transformer jumps above 720w, the second transformer mirrors the draw.  I'm therefore losing a minimum of 280w/s of power.

Yeah I thought my problem was solved but even when I do it Gen -> Transformer -> Battery im getting some transformers that won't draw power or charge the battery and some that just charge the battery even though nothing draws power from the line

Anyone know what happens if you do Batteries -> HW -> Generator -> HW -> Transformers -> RWire -> consumption?

Or, maybe:  Generator -> HW  + -> Transformers -> RW -> consumption

'->  Batteries

I would think that in both cases power would flow through the transformers with only excess being shunted back to the batteries -- which then can send it out when the generator is off.

(of course it might totally not work, haven't tested it at all -- in fact only just now got a colony over the electrolysis/h-gen hump and off algae)

8 minutes ago, absimiliard said:

Anyone know what happens if you do Batteries -> HW -> Generator -> HW -> Transformers -> RWire -> consumption?

Wires don't work like pipes, anything that's attached to piece of connected wire works as if it's all attached to each other.

On the producer side, transformer acts as a consumer, i.e. it has higher priority than batteries and the batteries on the "heavy wire" side of the transformer are only charged when demands of all consumers including transformers are satisfied. When there's not enough production, the transformer will, just like any other consumer, draw power from the battery.

On the consumer side, transformer acts as a producer, i.e. it will send up to 1000 W power supply to all active consumers, and if there is excess, it will use it to charge batteries.

So far I am having success with Generator > HW >Transformer >RW >Battery. can't figure out how to keep the battery charged if it goes the other way around. I still have to keep a manual generator somewhere on the circuit to get things going in the morning, but that's fine. I am using hydrogen generators fed by electrolysers.

On 5/29/2017 at 9:56 PM, TheEllimist said:

Yeah I thought my problem was solved but even when I do it Gen -> Transformer -> Battery im getting some transformers that won't draw power or charge the battery and some that just charge the battery even though nothing draws power from the line

9 hours ago, n37runn3r said:

So far I am having success with Generator > HW >Transformer >RW >Battery. can't figure out how to keep the battery charged if it goes the other way around. I still have to keep a manual generator somewhere on the circuit to get things going in the morning, but that's fine. I am using hydrogen generators fed by electrolysers.

I had this problem and it has to do with a bug where HW is not returning power back to the Generators even though there's Batteries.

What I did was: NG > RW > Small Battery > RW > HW Grid > Batteries & Transformers > Base

The small Battery is need to keep the NG charged.

Here's what it looks like though its still a work in progress:

20170602010958_1.jpg

When finished it'll have 20 Batteries that output 5 lines to spread across the base. I'm hoping the 4 Weezeworts will be enough to keep the temperature low.

As for the reason the lines are Straining, I think that's another bug. I've had only three things powered after a Transformer and the line was yellow, which doesn't make any sense.

37 minutes ago, vonVile said:

I had this problem and it has to do with a bug where HW is not returning power back to the Generators even though there's Batteries.

What I did was: NG > RW > Small Battery > RW > HW Grid > Batteries & Transformers > Base

The small Battery is need to keep the NG charged.

Here's what it looks like though its still a work in progress:

20170602010958_1.jpg

When finished it'll have 20 Batteries that output 5 lines to spread across the base.

Forgive me for asking but how do you plan to charge those batteries? you have no transformer leading to them nor producers, The electricity only flows from left to right when using transformers. 

Please ignore the above comment I noticed that your NG has a standard wire going into the circuit, But I am unsure if this will cause an overload as the wire that enters the Heaviwatt will be carrying the load of all the NG generators?

I have a working example and will post my picture tonight, But i have my Producers (Up to 1000W but I do push it at 1600W on some) -> Battery (To soak up any excess) -> Transformer --> Battery Farm --> Transformer -> Consumers (Up to 1000W)

--> = HeaviWatt

-> = Standard

With the above mentioned I have 5 Producer Groups which work at different times,

2 Sets of 2 Coal Generators which produces 1200W each which I manually disable to stop coal wastage

1 Set of 2 Hydrogen Generators which produce 1600W Which i manually switch on and off when my Hydrogen Rooms are full.

2 Sets of 3 Hamster Wheels which produce 1200W each, Currently I only use the 1 set the second was made due to an underestimation of how the rest would work.

Since I started using this set up I have never had a overload and it has saved me so much time as my dupes no longer have to repair like madmen

11 hours ago, BlueLance said:

Forgive me for asking but how do you plan to charge those batteries? you have no transformer leading to them nor producers, The electricity only flows from left to right when using transformers. 

Please ignore the above comment I noticed that your NG has a standard wire going into the circuit, But I am unsure if this will cause an overload as the wire that enters the Heaviwatt will be carrying the load of all the NG generators.

I don't have any problems with overheating because the way the game runs now the current only goes 1 way from the NG Generators to the Batteries because of the Transformers. The only problem I did have was with Wire Bridges, which are currently very weak compared to regular Wire when it comes to overheating. My original design was too sloppy using 3 Bridges and the regular Wire connected all the way to the far left Battery. Those Bridges overheated all the time. Yes, even Gold Wire Bridges overheated, which it shouldn't over regular Gold Wire. They should be way more durable, since they use more material.

My system works perfectly now and all Batteries are fully charged by 2 NG Generators. I still have 8 other Batteries down the line that are also fully charged, so I know when I get rid of them when the Power Station is complete I should have a no problem with charging them all.

Archived