Water heat/cool issues

Water doesn't really exchange its temperature with surrounding air that fast. Unless you spray it into a fine mist, spilled water will hit the ground at pretty much the same temperature at which it was spilled. Drops of water falling through air lose heat to evaporation, but that surprisingly does not heat up the air - all that heat goes into state change. And ONI doesn't simulate humidity, so any water falling through air behaves as if it is falling through air at 100% humidity. No evaporation occurs, and very little heat exchange.

The water is maintaining temp way too long.  Consider how a bathtub will maintain 120 deg for a very short amount of time. http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/heat-loss-open-water-tanks-d_286.html

It think the water is not exchanging its heat into the surroundings as it will often maintain 120f for multiple cycles. And when moved it seems to overwhelmingly maintain its temp.  

I am thinking of a swamp cooler effect water, falling, should create a decent exchange and eventually cool down on its own. Entropy should occur and like everything in the universe should slowly cool especially after being separated from the energy source.

So far putting storage containers full of ice in smallish tanks of water or digging a tank close to the ice biomes is the only way I've found. You can also cool small amounts by running hot water past wheezeworts but it takes a large amount of worts or a very small flow of water or both. Some of the more advanced players have made systems with super-cooled hydrogen but I haven't pulled that off yet. I have (accidentally) made large lakes of cold water by flooding the ice biome with geyser water. As the ice (very very slowly) melted I got a huge pool of mixed clean and polluted water.

Archived