Getting rid of extra resources

So maybe i'm just not aware of an existing way to do this, but my storage compactors are filled up by unwanted dirt/sandstone. Is there any way to get rid of resources you don't want or need? I hate just having stuff laying around on the map.

How would i go about moving it to an area with hatches? As far as I can tell, the only way to do so would be to build a storage unit there and deliver to it then dump it on the ground, correct? Is there a way to tell them to move a material otherwise? 

There seem to be a number of hidden uses of storage compactors that aren't documented that I've seen. I've heard others say you can put them in a hot area and melt stuff into sand, melt ice into water etc, or is that wrong?

Everything you asked the answer is yes. Storage compactors can be used to feed hatches, store and melt/freeze objects.

The last time I played you could have dupes drop their carry load by issuing a move to command when they are carrying a resource. When they reached the move to location they would drop their resources and move off to another job.

Not sure if that still works.

1 hour ago, Moggles said:

Not sure if that still works.

No, it doesn't. The moment you issue a move, they drop what they carry.

18 hours ago, asmallrabbit said:

How would i go about moving it to an area with hatches?

Build a storage for that resource with higher priority than others have - dupes will move it to that one.

Another tip is to have a storage in a hatch area marked with the materials you want to get rid of and then check off "sweep only" and Mark the materials on the ground you want disposed of. Once cleaned up, uncheck and recheck the materials to make the storage spit out the materials for the hatches. The "Sweep only" box prevents dupes from trying to load the uneaten materials back into the box.

build a horizontal door and 1-2 storages on it, will be active even if opened, then check sweep only if needed, then select useless materials like sandstone into it, open door after and uncheck, build the room below it, can be hatch room, hot room, cold room, water

same way you can make fertilizer from extra food by building at least 3 height closed room so they wont reach dropped food, then drop again the polluted dirt, not that useful, maybe when you want to get rid of low quality or not so fresh food, or an outpost with a food shaft where you drop some food to a separated colonist, or just stylish kitchen above dining room, or farm above kitchen

As people start getting longer in cycles, and expanding/exploring more, I have to wonder. Do you guys store everything?

It seems like having all those resources laying around or building storage for everything would negatively impact performance.

Just from the starting area I've got something like 200,000kg of sandstone that i dont think I would ever use. Might be nice to have some sort of Garbage disposal or Recycling unit in the game. (Besides trying to herd and store hatches that is)

Yeah, I definitely store everything. No need to get rid of it when storage is cheap and space is plenty. Especially since everyone makes it sound like running out of sand is a definite eventuality, I hold on to every bit of sand I can get my hands on. 

I often die due to not enough sand. Sadly, it's always before I can try the trick of turning dirt or clay into sand by exposing it to magma.

As for storage, I make long hallways full of storage compactors down in the parts of my base that are used as a CO2 dump or up in the parts filled with H. I feed my hatches polluted dirt or fertilizer sometimes.

10 hours ago, enterflux said:

Yeah, I definitely store everything. No need to get rid of it when storage is cheap and space is plenty. Especially since everyone makes it sound like running out of sand is a definite eventuality, I hold on to every bit of sand I can get my hands on. 

I dont use sand at all, I have around 300,000kg of the stuff, and other resources I have over 1Million KG, I dug my base downwards so all of my resources are in my "Maintenance Shaft" My Dupes have no reason to go down there at all other than to gather resources so it doesnt impact them, I do not know if it impacts framerate since everything stacks for me and I only see the first object, I would assume this uses the same amount of information as it would in a storage box. 

Although i will admit on triple speed i get about 17 FPS and on single I get 48 FPS, I do have 36 Dupes running around though so I say they are the reason for the massive frame loss haha

5 hours ago, BlueLance said:

Although i will admit on triple speed i get about 17 FPS and on single I get 48 FPS, I do have 36 Dupes running around though so I say they are the reason for the massive frame loss haha

Holy cow. Your base must be MASSIVE if you've got 36 dupes! If you don't use sand at all, how do you take care of polluted oxygen and polluted water? Do you use one of those crazy complex methods of evaporating the polluted water or something?

My base is somewhere less than 120 tiles by 120 tiles i think? I will count when i am on again haha, All of my polluted water is pumped into hydroponic tiles and my polluted oxygen is...well at the moment it sits in a room on its own I am thinking of chilling it later on after fixing my electricity

The only reason my base is so big is because I have 4 Large pits for gas, 2 for water and a massive battery farm and maintenance shaft. around my base

I started letting my hatches eat my unwanted foodstuffs that I still produce but no longer force my dupes to eat having ration boxes or fridges unpowered in your hatch area will automatically drop the rotted food out on the floor for the hatches they don't eat it fast enough to hinder its use for fertilizer either

Archived