cooling down the geyser

12 minutes ago, PickPay said:

...so you're dripping water through the cold air and the pipes run all around the air chamber ? Melting ice in the water does help significantly.

if you don't want to drop ice into hot water, you can cool down the hydrogen and pump it with pipes through the cooling tank, like the liquid pipes i did it on the upper tank

I mentioned this on stream tonight as I thought it was a very clean and minimalist approach to something which is often (especially by me) over engineered. I love this buddy, and the self regulating element (to avoid ice) is an added plus for sure. Great work :) 

38 minutes ago, MegaMappy said:

my only worry would be that it overcools. What is the target temp of weezeworths?

Don't worry about that, i try many times and find that weeze stop cooling when it reach -5°C, and with -5°C we can get 10°C cool water, not overcools, when the geyser spout again, water will be hot again. Cuz this cooling tank only with pump and weeze, we can build it in early game, cooling down hot water and use in mid game time.

28 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

I mentioned this on stream tonight as I thought it was a very clean and minimalist approach to something which is often (especially by me) over engineered. I love this buddy, and the self regulating element (to avoid ice) is an added plus for sure. Great work :) 

:)  im lazy about works, so i just build this tank to cooling water, hydrogen cooling and other complicate works is so hard for me. glad to hear that you guys like it.

5 minutes ago, deloquac said:

Don't worry about that, i try many times and find that weeze stop cooling when it reach -5°C, and with -5°C we can get 10°C cool water, not overcools, when the geyser spout again, water will be hot again. Cuz this cooling tank only with pump and weeze, we can build it in early game, cooling down hot water and use in mid game time.

Then it is perfect, I love you for this, my current set up uses 2 liquid pumps, 1 gas pump and a thermal regulator. First thing I'm doing when I get home, thank you so much for the idea.

16 minutes ago, Xuhybrid said:

Can you cool water by submerging a vase+wheezewort?

I doubt it. Wheezewort cools gases around it. If you submerge it, there won't be any gases to cool and the plant itself actually produces heat.

Hi,

Just want to share the following water cooling solution with everyone...

This is a refinement of IPRIT's cooler.

You can cool a geyser from empty to temperate in 5 Cycles,   and you can maintain that temperature (or any temperature you wish) using this system.

The way this system works is that the steam produced by the geyser is rapidly cooled by the air around it before it is allowed to phase change into water.  Once it phase changes, the collected/pooled water is further cooled by the air.

You can control the rate of the cooling by simply raising or lowering the air pressure within the system using Atmo Switches and a pair of gas pumps.

If you want to cool the water, pump oxygen into the system until max pressure.  If you want to warm the water, pump out the oxygen into a storage room and the geyser steam will warm the air and water.

It is possible to keep the temperature at a stable level by controlling the total oxygen pressure in the room.  (this allows you to stop the water from freezing.)

I've also tested this system with other gasses.   Hydrogen works, but it is not as effective/fast as Oxygen.   Carbon Dioxide is able to maintain the water's temperature at a fairly temperate level, and cools the water slowly.  Chlorine gas is unable to cool the water lower than ~32 degrees.  Oxygen is by far the best gas medium for this system.

RefinedCooler.png

RefinedCooler2.png

RefinedCooler3.png

RefinedCooler4.png

RefinedCooler5.png

RefinedCooler6.png

RefinedCooler7.png

RefinedCooler8.png

RefinedCooler9.png

RefinedCooler10.png

I've had luck in super cooling chlorine into a liquid and then dumping either steam or water (I can't remember which in debug mode) and being able to make ice.  So I think that if I add a water pump, liquid filter, and some type of switch then I might be able to get cool water.  (I don't know how long it took).  Might be useful for something else.

7 hours ago, Nafei said:

Hi,

You can cool a geyser from empty to temperate in 5 Cycles,   and you can maintain that temperature (or any temperature you wish) using this system.

The way this system works is that the steam produced by the geyser is rapidly cooled by the air around it before it is allowed to phase change into water.  Once it phase changes, the collected/pooled water is further cooled by the air.

You can control the rate of the cooling by simply raising or lowering the air pressure within the system using Atmo Switches and a pair of gas pumps.

If you want to cool the water, pump oxygen into the system until max pressure.  If you want to warm the water, pump out the oxygen into a storage room and the geyser steam will warm the air and water.

It is possible to keep the temperature at a stable level by controlling the total oxygen pressure in the room.  (this allows you to stop the water from freezing.)

I've also tested this system with other gasses.   Hydrogen works, but it is not as effective/fast as Oxygen.   Carbon Dioxide is able to maintain the water's temperature at a fairly temperate level, and cools the water slowly.  Chlorine gas is unable to cool the water lower than ~32 degrees.  Oxygen is by far the best gas medium for this system.

RefinedCooler.png

RefinedCooler2.png

RefinedCooler3.png

RefinedCooler4.png

RefinedCooler5.png

RefinedCooler6.png

RefinedCooler7.png

RefinedCooler8.png

RefinedCooler9.png

RefinedCooler10.png

Really useful, i think cooling down less mass of liquid will spend less time. As my tank cooling down larger mass of liquid, more cycles spended. i love this solution of cooling with less space, the only thing i worried is that pump will draw stream and cool down in pipe.

On 26.5.2017 at 7:07 PM, Nafei said:

Hey, that looks like a really nice system to cool water down. I tried it myself and it did not work very well. What pressure do you put in the atmo switches? And what does the piping looks like excactly?

On 5/26/2017 at 6:07 PM, Nafei said:

Hi,

I tried your system and it works really well. The room has polluted oxygen inside and with 3 Wheezewort it keeps the temperature dropping. Not sure how low it will end up but this is a really easy solution to the Steam temperature! Thanks for sharing!

B846F4CBA8FEDFF982160F73463F5A67A9A5D4AE

14 hours ago, Owle said:

Hey, that looks like a really nice system to cool water down. I tried it myself and it did not work very well. What pressure do you put in the atmo switches? And what does the piping looks like excactly?

Hey.

Sorry about the issues you've been having.  It looks like when the game is not in debug-mode, the oxygen gets trapped above the wheezeworts and doesn't travel down into the geyzer chamber.  In order to get the system to work in the standard game I had to remove one of the wheezeworts to give the oxygen more room to move between the chamber below the plants.

In regards to pressure levels, the only pressure level that matters is the gas pressure right at the contact area of the geyser.  It looks like pressure levels higher than 500 - 700g will cool the water.   pressure levels below 300 - 500g will warm the water.  The sweet spot seems to be around 500g

The switch in the lower room controls the gas pump in the upper room.  The switch in the upper room, controls the gas pump in the lower room.

Here are the screenshots you requested:

RefinedCooler12.png

RefinedCooler14.png

Agricultural Update.sav

3 minutes ago, Nafei said:

Hey.

Sorry about the issues you've been having.  It looks like when the game is not in debug-mode, the oxygen gets trapped above the wheezeworts and doesn't travel down into the geyzer chamber.  In order to get the system to work in the standard game I had to remove one of the wheezeworts to give the oxygen more room to move between the chamber below the plants.

In regards to pressure levels, It looks like pressure levels higher than 500 - 700g will cool the water.   pressure levels below 300 - 400g will warm the water.

The switch in the lower room controls the gas pump in the upper room.  The switch in the upper room, controls the gas pump in the lower room.

Here are the screenshots you requested:

Agricultural Update.sav

Why do you even need the gas pump and vents?

5 minutes ago, Xuhybrid said:

Why do you even need the gas pump and vents?

Because if you leave the room at full / normal pressure the water will start to freeze.  the vents and pumps let you control the temperature and keep the temperature at a stable level.  (temperature will stay the same and won't freeze)

3 minutes ago, Xuhybrid said:

Is there a gas that won't go cold enough to freeze the water?

Chlorine and Carbon Dioxide will work.  Depends on how cold you need the water.  

Chlorine:

The wheezeworts will chill the chlorine really quickly because it has a very low heat capacity...

BUT the heat from the steam overcomes the cold temperature in the chlorine because the chlorine has a really low thermal conductivity.

So using this gas-based method won't be able to cool the geyser water very well. (~30C)    But liquid chlorine works well to chill pools of water.

Carbon Dioxide:

Carbon Dioxide takes longer to cool the water.  And it has a similar problem as chlorine. The steam will warm the carbon dioxide faster than it chills the steam making it more difficult to get below freezing temperatures.

I noticed when i had a layer of CO2 in the geyser, that it was about 10-15C higher than the polluted air. I am fine with the water being a little warmer, it's more about keeping it under control so it doesn't overheat the base. Thanks.

Archived