Astroids Cold on the outside and Hot in the middle

A thought just came to me. Why is the heat clear at the bottom of the asteroid and cold spots are random? Hopefully when this game is full release the asteroids are bigger and look more like asteroids. Also, hopefully the heat is in the middle of the astroid and all the cold spots near the outside like you'd think an inhabitable asteroid might be. The only problem is that you'd have to make the magma gravitate to the middle of the map unless you pump it out to store somewhere else. Otherwise the whole bottom of the map would likely be eaten by magma. Another way to do it is, all parts of the map focus gravity to the middle where the magma is. The only way that magma on one side of the asteroid makes sense is if it's a comet or something floating near the sun. 

Anyway, just an idea for the future.

Actually I would imagine an asteroid is hot on the outside while cold on the inside. Asteroids should be geologically dead and thus there is no heat source inside. While outside collision can turn kinetic energy to heat and warm up or even melt the surface.

Or you can think of the map as a rectangle slice of the whole asteroid. Having gravity towards the center would have the problem of where is "up"? Do dupes stand up pointing away from the center? What about buildings? Do they rotate based on where is the center? If not won't it look weird?

It would be cool yeah but will cause so many problems and redesigns that it's more or less a new game at that point. I wouldn't mind a different shaped map with magma at the center but gravity at the center seems too hopeful. Maybe for a sequel. But if Klei proves me wrong I would be so happy...

Don't forget that if the center of gravity is on the map, you have to actually have gravity in all angles and magnitudes. At rightmost edge of the map, you'd have everything falling to the left, leftmost edge the opposite, straight in the middle you'd have no gravity at all, and the start point would have to be really really far from the middle to realistically have the apparent gravity it does.

Better to simply say that the middle of the asteroid is too dense to mine through, so we are actually quite some distance to the surface. Implausibly high density of the asteroid's center can also account for the implausibly high gravity. But in this, you can't ever get something that's plausible as a whole, and still playable as a game. You can just trade one implausible thing for another...

If an asteroid orbits a bigger mass like a planet in a rotational lock and mass is lacking to create gravity, you will get gravity towards the bigger mass. Our moon has a rotational lock towards the earth, meaning we only ever see one side of it.

This means that the asteroid is small enough to not create its own gravity and it orbits a vastly bigger mass. That's the only two criteria it has to meet for the game's asteroid to work.

9 minutes ago, Palpetinus said:

If an asteroid orbits a bigger mass like a planet in a rotational lock and mass is lacking to create gravity, you will get gravity towards the bigger mass

That is not how gravity works. The gravity of the bigger mass would affect the asteroid and everything in it mostly uniformly, except for minor tidal effects, so there would be no apparent gravity. Think of it as if the entire moon is in perpetual freefall (which it technically is, except it's also moving sideways fast enough to not impact the surface).

2 hours ago, Palpetinus said:

If an asteroid orbits a bigger mass like a planet in a rotational lock and mass is lacking to create gravity, you will get gravity towards the bigger mass. Our moon has a rotational lock towards the earth, meaning we only ever see one side of it.

This means that the asteroid is small enough to not create its own gravity and it orbits a vastly bigger mass. That's the only two criteria it has to meet for the game's asteroid to work.

Everything, every particles on that celestial object would be affected equally by the gravity from the massive body (except for some minor tidal effect as mentioned). This means the dupes and the asteroid and everything will have the same acceleration and thus to each other they are not moving.

Think about the manned spacecraft we built. Astronauts inside are not standing on the floor because gravity of Earth right?

Another possible explanation for the asteroid's gravity is that it rotates quite fast. That would mean that going down is actually going towards the surface, and center would be up. Also, it would mean that whoever managed landing on that rock needs a promotion. :D

I did some basic calculation, because why not. Assuming the rock rotates once every 10 minutes (the daily cycle would suggest as much), we'd get centripetal acceleration roughly equivalent to that of Earth surface gravity about 90km from it's axis of rotation (which would be 90km from the center if we are on the equator, but more if elsewhere).

Archived