Do you think cheesing methods should remain in the game

Do you think cheesing methods should remain in the game  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think cheesing methods should remain in the game

• Yes, all cheese please (e.g. gaurdian getting stuck at pillars)
    • Just cheese that requires decent amount of work or setup (e.g. book of tentacles+hay walls)
    • No cheese thanks

I don't think you can change anything in world-gen to really make this game "hard mode."  Adding more of certain monsters just gives you more of their resources.  It doesn't change how you fight them.  The "lots" setting isn't really "hard mode" either as it's more of just "lol, look how many xx there are lol."

I think the developers are trying to make more engaging content, and that is good.  Part of this is allowing certain tactics to work.  What point would there be to the tentacle book if you couldn't make a tentacle trap?  Setting up multiple flingo, with all of the other components to perma-freeze toad takes some effort too.  They certainly need to ensure there are no easy ways to mitigate a boss's threat, such as unbreakable obstacles that block the bosses movement, but this game is pretty much about putting the world to work.

If it was all about what you could do as a character, then Wolfgang would be the main character... and as it is - just playing Wolfgang, with how much damage he can put it, is practically cheese in it's self built into the game...

Playing Wes is the closest you get to "hard mode" just because it takes away all of the bonuses other characters get, and gives you a damage nerf to go with it, but even then other players can join with other characters and just do the work for you...

So is a "hard mode" warranted?  I think - no - just continue pushing engaging content, remove cheese that is too cheesy, and maybe add some sliders to the world gen that you can give a global penalty such as a damage nerf, or hunger nerf to all characters in the world.  On the subject of sliders - you could add a slider to disallow roll backs, just so you can't be tempted.  I also wouldn't mind seeing a "turbo mode" where you can turn up the game clock to 1.5x or 2x speed just to make things faster.

2 hours ago, Lumina said:

What would be a hard mode ? I mean, you have preset to make game harder, what a hard mode should bring that preset can't ?

No rollbacks. No ghosts. 

I remember ShipWrecked. It's developement of single player.

I loved Shipwrecked, the design, atmosphere, new characters, items, bosses, it was all just so perfect...EXCEPT they ruined it. What they should have done is integrated into the core Vanilla game, but no...for some reason they thought it would be a good idea to scrap everything and make the same game twice in a different setting. 

Just illogical thinking. What a waste. 

Wasn't really a success i guess, could explain maybe ?

They are segregating content. Why are the updates of A New Reign exclusive to DST? Honestly, what´s the reason? I want to know, because what other game only updates for its multiplayer version? Imagine if like in Minecraft, horses were only available in multiplayer. It´s ridiculous. I try not to mention this now, because I´m beating a dead horse, but the fact that the community is ok with this... I don´t know, I just don´t understand how that's possible.

And they said, when multiplayer was first announced, that they wouldn´t do this. That new items and mobs, that weren´t tailored with specific multiplayer purpose, would be passed on to DS; which btw, is almost everything, except for The Lazy Deserter, Telltale Heart and Booster Shot, everything else is compatible. Sure, there´s a lot of Raid Bosses, but if they lowered the HP for SP, then it would balance out. And the worst thing, is that a lot of stuff they add actually would actually work better in Singleplayer, for example Beefalo Domestication. When you leave a server, your beefalo is just left hanging vulnerable in the wild. And the whole domestication process is better suited for Singleplayer experiences, where the world pauses when you log out. Also, followers like the Extra-Adorable Lavae, what´s the point in having this in multiplayer, when every-time you log out it's just gonna die. The whole thing is just illogical to me. 

Also, before you say "just play on a private server". No, there are character changes that I hate, "balanced for multiplayer" and not any good mods that can fix it. Then there´s stuff like the Sleeping Bag and new bosses, that would be nice, if they were also possible to kill solo (without building a whole fence maze, practically the same as "cheesing")

Ok, rant over. 

of Isaac is also random and could be a lot much easier when you have the right items. It's part of the fun, at least for me, when i was unable to reach the end with a certain stability, i still had the hope of finding enough powerful items and go further than usual, and this way i enjoyed the game, allowing me to become better, when i would maybe gave up without this part because of frustration. So i'm not sure you could apply this to Don't Starve exactly.

You are right. Maybe Binding of Isaac is a bad example. 

Also, something "tough as hell", when playing solo is understandable, something "tough as hell", when playing multiplayer and could die because of a [I will stay polite] annoying lag when you need to flee the tentacle/monster/whatever danger isn't the same thing. Same for the survival when you play with players that don't have the same knowledge than you.

Well, maybe that's why this game should have stayed to only singleplayer, like they original designers said. 

3 hours ago, Cyberboy2000 said:

Oh okay so wanting to have an easy mode is a big no-no but a hard mode is perfectly fine. It's perfect logic trust me.

I never said it was a no-no, I said I just that respected it more because it doesn´t sell out, even alienating most players.  

However, the logic is this...This game was originally a permadeath and it was "hard" so to speak. For years, that´s what the fan base, who supported this game, enjoyed and lived on. So yeah, in its current format, a "hard mode" would not only be perfectly fine, but it´s long overdue. 

And in this case, because of that reason, a "hard" mode is more "necessary" than an "easy" mode. 

BTW, he amount of likes you got depresses me. This community man...

5 minutes ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

No rollbacks. No ghosts. 

They are segregating content. Why are the updates of A New Reign exclusive to DST? Honestly, what´s the reason? I want to know, because what other game only updates for its multiplayer version? Imagine if like in Minecraft, horses were only available in multiplayer. It´s ridiculous. I try not to mention this now, because I´m beating a dead horse, but the fact that the community is ok with this... I don´t know, I just don´t understand how that's possible.

I would like to see DST Wilderness mode altered to be the "no rollbacks / no ghost" mode, with traditional resurrection such as flagging a touch stone, building a meat effigy, or WEARING a life-giving amulet.  I like that there is no gate spawn.  It makes it both easier, and more difficult to start multiple people at random locations.  You don't fight for close resources, but you also have to work to locate each other.  If you don't have some resurrection in place - I think spawning in as a new character is appropriate with a blank map / crafting.

I don't play DS anymore because the content is all on DST.  I kinda see DST like a DS2.  I don't care if they never patch DS anymore, and only focus on DST.  I like the skins, and the re-balancing of powers makes sense.  In DS the characters weren't balanced, but balance didn't matter.  I'd rather have balance matter.

I'd like to see some amount of Shipwrecked be added to DST.  Similar to how the Ruins and Atrium are added to the caves, they should make islands appear that aren't connected to the rest of the land mass and have a worm hole lead you there.  They could remove useless duplicate biomes to make room in the world for this.  Who needs a 2nd deciduous forest really?  Give localized weather if you are on water or an island that is more like SW while the main land has traditional weather patterns.  This was already done in the Oasis biome, I don't see why it can't be done for water / islands.  It's a big project, but I'd really like to see DST implement SW features.

7 minutes ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

Rollbacks and ghosts...I´m talking about permadeath mechanic, the kind that was in the original game.

I mean currently there is nothing in the world-gen that gives a "hard mode" experience.  Not that it couldn't / shouldn't be added.

4 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

I would like to see DST Wilderness mode altered to be the "no rollbacks / no ghost" mode, with traditional resurrection such as flagging a touch stone, building a meat effigy, or WEARING a life-giving amulet. 

YES

5 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

If you don't have some resurrection in place - I think spawning in as a new character is appropriate with a blank map / crafting.

I would like it if you were dead forever. Yes, a lot of people would hate that, but it's an optional mode for masochists like myself. You are on a server with your friend and he dies, then tough, he's dead forever. 

12 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

I don't play DS anymore because the content is all on DST.  

They don't because they don't update it anymore :/ that's the problem. 

14 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

I like the skins

No reason they can´t be in SP.

15 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

I'd like to see some amount of Shipwrecked be added to DST.  Similar to how the Ruins and Atrium are added to the caves, they should make islands appear that aren't connected to the rest of the land mass and have a worm hole lead you there.  

I can´t wait for someone to link you to the Shipwrecked Together mod, that is sorta dead, but isn´t.

Anyway, yes, I would love that.

2 hours ago, Shosuko said:

What point would there be to the tentacle book if you couldn't make a tentacle trap?  

So to be clear, I don't think they should change how her tentacle books work or how they interact with hay walls. But if they did, you could still make traps, they would just be less efficient and less safe. I think it's balanced well enough as it is but her tentacle book still wouldn't be useless if they were to change how tentacles interact with hay walls. Once again, i like it the way it is, just playing devils advocate

Archived