Content suggestion: Electric relay

Currently, it's quite hard to build logic circuits in the game. Adding a relay would greatly improve the situation in a way that fits the game's theme. A relay is a low-tech electro-mechanical switch. It switches on and off depending on whether there's power on a separate input line. Two variations are possible, depending on whether power turns it on or turns it off -- the turn-off variant (logical inverter) is necessary to build logic.

As a point of interest, some of the early computers were built entirely out of relays. They were humongous machines with enormous power consumption and cooling requirements. :)

Well it certainly is possible with what the game offers, just a bit clunky. Build a natural gas generator, and send natural gas to it through a pipe that's limited to 60 g/s. Build a filter off that pipe and when you power the filter, it will start stealing gas from the generator, switching it off. That's your not gate.

But if you're interested in building logic circuits, maybe you could simply concentrate on pipes, valves and bridges. They offer a lot of interesting options without even any power generation involved.

10 hours ago, jirkazr said:

It's certainly possible to build logic gates using objects already in the game, but as you said, it's clunky.

There's also not much need to build such logic circuits and where it really is needed, a bit of clunkiness doesn't really matter. There are other games where you can build logic circuits in much more comfort than what ONI could even offer, such as Minecraft.

3 hours ago, Kasuha said:

where it really is needed, a bit of clunkiness doesn't really matter.

Well, that depends on how you play, doesn't it?

Your argument boils down to "I don't do those things, ergo it doesn't matter".

As for the "go play other game" nonsense... if I wanted to just build logic circuits, I would use a breadboard and a bunch of 7400 ICs.

We currently lack more advanced logical gates that could allow us to do some automation however IMO it would be better of creating new layer for control circuits and moving switches to that new system so it would be possible to implement overrides to our automated systems.

4 hours ago, jirkazr said:

Your argument boils down to "I don't do those things, ergo it doesn't matter".

My argument boils down to "I don't think it's necessary to support the gameplay". Your only argument so far was "I want it" with no indication you actually have a practical use for it.

1 hour ago, Kasuha said:

My argument boils down to "I don't think it's necessary to support the gameplay". Your only argument so far was "I want it" with no indication you actually have a practical use for it.

If I thought it was "necessary" to support the gameplay, it would be in the bugs section and not in the mere suggestions. So yes, absolutely, I'm suggesting it because I think you could do some pretty interesting things with it, not because it's in any way necessary. What is it that constitutes "necessity" in a game, really? The only real requirement is being fun to play with.

14 hours ago, thewrecktangle said:

would be handy for setting up real airlock type rooms so two doors cant be opened at once or somesuch

Sounds like a good idea until you start thinking it through and realize how much different the whole door mechanic would have to be to support it. And with current snail speed at which gas is spreading (except for cases with 100 kg of gas per tile), it's not even worth it as simple two-door airlocks with a bit of space in between is sealed enough that there is no difference.

9 minutes ago, jirkazr said:

We already have doors that only open when powered down. Making a crude airlock like that is already possible.

Dupes won't pathfind through doors that are locked for them. No dupe would go through airlock that has one door locked all the time.

Archived