Option to disable annoying "slot machine" excellent yield sound

What's up with the annoying "slot machine" sound that loops whenever an excellent (and I think there's another not-quite-so-but-still-annoying "slot machine" sound for less-excellent) harvest yield? Please make it optional as it gets VERY annoying when multiple plants are ready and I don't want to harvest them right away!

It's got a bit too wide range, hopefully devs will reduce its range somehow in future releases. The problems is that devs don't have much time to play the game so they only get idea of ho sounds work in large later stage games from saves that players post here on forums. You may try to post it as a bug report along with your save to let the devs check how much of impact does the sound have, they do such tweaks all the time.

• Developer

Agreed!

Sorry gang, that was meant to only be audible within a really tight range, when you're zoomed in looking directly at it. 

I've fixed this now, so it will be included the next time audio banks get pushed to the EA build. Thanks loads for bringing that to our attention! :) 

On 5/23/2017 at 4:57 AM, Kasuha said:

It's got a bit too wide range, hopefully devs will reduce its range somehow in future releases. The problems is that devs don't have much time to play the game so they only get idea of ho sounds work in large later stage games from saves that players post here on forums. You may try to post it as a bug report along with your save to let the devs check how much of impact does the sound have, they do such tweaks all the time.

Playtesting (QA: quality assurance) is a part of the development process. Devs shouldn't be relying on players to exclusively test their product...especially now that ONI is out of alpha and in early access

On 5/23/2017 at 9:52 AM, jambell said:

Agreed!

Sorry gang, that was meant to only be audible within a really tight range, when you're zoomed in looking directly at it. 

I've fixed this now, so it will be included the next time audio banks get pushed to the EA build. Thanks loads for bringing that to our attention! :) 

Thanks but could there still be an option to disable the sound? Perhaps in an INI or registry setting if GUI is more difficult.

1 hour ago, Eep said:

Playtesting (QA: quality assurance) is a part of the development process. Devs shouldn't be relying on players to exclusively test their product...especially now that ONI is out of alpha and in early access

You know the theory well. If you also knew the practice, you would understand that even the most thorough QA doesn't catch all bugs, there's the diminishing returns effect, and cost of playtesting affects total costs of development so it needs to be balanced against expected profits. That's true for all game producers, starting with smallest indy developers and ending with AAA title studios.

What kind of critical bug are we talking about anyway? An annoying sound?

8 minutes ago, Kasuha said:

You know the theory well. If you also knew the practice, you would understand that even the most thorough QA doesn't catch all bugs, there's the diminishing returns effect, and cost of playtesting affects total costs of development so it needs to be balanced against expected profits. That's true for all game producers, starting with smallest indy developers and ending with AAA title studios.

What kind of critical bug are we talking about anyway? An annoying sound?

You just LOVE to argue, don't you? I tire of this back-and-forth with you... QA may not catch all bugs but a good dev will IMMEDIATELY test their code (yes, even a sound) to make sure it does what it's supposed to and doesn't break (or annoy) anything.

13 minutes ago, Eep said:

You just LOVE to argue, don't you? I tire of this back-and-forth with you...

Sounds just right from you.

13 minutes ago, Eep said:

QA may not catch all bugs but a good dev will IMMEDIATELY test their code (yes, even a sound) to make sure it does what it's supposed to and doesn't break (or annoy) anything.

I'm sure Klei will implement new development processes based on your suggestion right away. Thank you for your contribution.

Eep : Yes, but testing all the situations isn't possible, for a dev or a QA. Especially some things work fine when testing and suddently not in real conditions.

I really doubt that Klei is relying on player exclusively to test their game. But problems could still happen.

Bugs are still part of an Early Access, as they are part of a normal game. In Early Access, game is changing, evolving. This change create bugs, it's unavoidable. But it's also what give us the opportunity to give feedbacks and suggestions about the game with a higher chance to be listened. I wouldn't trade this for stability, because i would lose what make the Early Access unique. Instability but possibility to help the game becoming better is the essence of Early Access. Stability is for release of a game.

So since it's pretty clear that Early Access implies this instability, and since we agree with this every time we are playing, it's important to be relax about bugs, instead of saying that devs aren't testing their own game.

intro.png

On 5/23/2017 at 9:52 AM, jambell said:

Agreed!

I'm guessing the "audio bank push" was not for build 218235?

Archived