How to find a geyser?

One thing I'll have to add, they have a creaking sound, like metal straining under pressure. While it doesn't just penetrate the "fog of war", when you move your camera on the edges of your explored areas and hear the creaking, there will be a geyser near.

Unless I'm totally wrong, in which case someone please correct me.

Another thing to look out for is fresh water in the swamp biome. Both geyser types are usually in the same pocket with it.

I just barely saved my colony today because I was running out of fresh water and the only geysers I could find where natural gas, which don't release water. I must have like 6-8 of them. I thought my colony was dead until I noticed at the top a hint of fresh water mixed with a ton of polluted behind the fog of war. I missed it earlier because the fresh water's weight didn't break down into where the polluted water. I had to set all but one of my Dupes to only Build and Dig to get up there to install a Pump and Filter ASAP, because I was down to just 4 full tiles water.

4 hours ago, Palpetinus said:

One thing I'll have to add, they have a creaking sound, like metal straining under pressure. While it doesn't just penetrate the "fog of war", when you move your camera on the edges of your explored areas and hear the creaking, there will be a geyser near.

Unless I'm totally wrong, in which case someone please correct me.

I could also be wrong but I thought I only heard this noise when they were active, aka spewing water/gas at that current moment in time.

6 minutes ago, GiddyGuy said:

I could also be wrong but I thought I only heard this noise when they were active, aka spewing water/gas at that current moment in time.

But I think they don't start spewing until you're close to them with the exploration, so if you don't spend a lot of cycles not exploring you can hear them.

2 hours ago, Palpetinus said:

But I think they don't start spewing until you're close to them with the exploration, so if you don't spend a lot of cycles not exploring you can hear them.

I actually found out they have a not spewing sound and spewing sound so it should be easy to listen in if you know the right sound it makes.

Very grateful to everyone's reply, because I forgot to open the “Notify me of replies” so that I just saw these replies (the first time with this forum ah), if you wish, please tell me how to send this forum pictures?:p

Archived