Tower Defense Concept

I just started ONI and I'm enjoying it. I see "combat" mentioned a few times in the game but haven't seen any applications of it (yet). One facet that I think would open up a good end-game goal (or separate mini-game) would be a tower defense. Maybe there could be a portal (or series of more challenging portals) you need to dig towards, and once you get there a stream of monsters come towards your base, so you need to have defenses up and ready. 

This would require new technology trees, but I think it's pretty logical to have some basic turrets. A laser one powered by power, a freeze one that requires water, an area effect fire one that burns up oxygen. And you can get better range/faster rate of fire by having duplicants man the turrets. There would be a second tier of research, enabling better towers, and add some land mines or dynamite or other man-made obstacles.

I have no idea if something like this is planned, but it seems a reasonable step once the base is up and running safely to help challenge players.

I'm happy to flesh out technology trees, monster stats, turret stats, or anything like that.

Your formatting is intrusive as stated.

If they want to add more attacks they will, at their own volition.  Community feedback wont influence such a decision it would be something they already have planned and testing/ed.

As for why it likely wont work though, the space you're working in is already tight enough.  But, why it might happen, well, the red-alert button.  I have found little reason to make my workers work through their showers and bathroom breaks.

The red-alert feature may be a precursor of more to come.

Archived