Using mods to help Klei decide what changes to implement for DST?

I'm not sure where this could be posted, so I posted it in General section. If a mod decides this needs to be elsewhere, moving this topic would be much appreciated.

So, this is where I kind of end with my topic creation for a while possibly (yaay to those who hate my content...). This topic is for discussing the subject of using mods as a means to test certain mechanics and propose them to Klei based on the feedback of the mechanics here, in hopes that Klei would make some changes that a lot of players could be happy about.

There are many players who have different thoughts on what the game should have. The impacts of these mechanics may be unknown sometimes. With what I'm presenting here, I am hoping that I can kind of bring people to agreements more through factual testing of various game mechanics. Modding is the only way for us to do so. So, why not use that to decide what we would like within the game, see if we like something and then come to some consensus about what we would like changed within the game.

I have created a file here to start this off, which you can check out here.

I encourage others who are enthusiastic about modding to help this cause, if you like the idea, whether it be helping me or others with code, or simply making your own mod files that would act as some propositions to Klei as mechanical changes, which can also be tested by other players.

I hope nothing here comes out as rude, because strangely the previous topic did. I intent to help us all out here with this, not just myself. Any constructive feedback in regards to this is welcome and appreciated! If you have any questions in regards to this, I will try to answer them if I can.

well in the end isn't that kind of pointless.  You already have the mod so why not just use thatso why not just use that.  For me that's always been my problem when someone like you makes these accusations and try to improve game balance.  Because everybody is different or sees the game differently and that's why on almost all of your suggestions a lot of people including myself have just sad all the time use mods because they re people including myself have just sad all the time use mods because they can make the complaint game the way they want it without ruining it for a bunch of people if it was in the base game. I know  A lot of people want to be less reliant on using mods to get the experience they want but sadly that's probably not going to change so it's best  I believe to just use the mods and keep changes for the best game as simple as possible as you yourself have submitted  several reworks that were to different so I saw them never going to get into the base game to begin with .

I think testing things with mods and if the mod is popular, using it to support a requested change is ok. Will maybe work, maybe not, but at least there will be feedback of players. And if there is no change, then, the mod will still be here.

Tl;DR of OP: "I think we should try to use mods to play with game tweaks and see if Klei likes any of the ideas for the core game, here is a list of changes I created with my mod:".

Marble Shrubs

* Changed the crafting recipe of marble beans.

* Increase in the marble and marble bean yield from the shrubs.

Willow

* Bernie only follows and wakes up when a Willow player is insane.

* Bernie can't be crafted.

* Bernie doesn't turn into beard hair, wool and silk upon certain conditions.

* Bernie damages insanity nightmares that bite him.

* Willow's lighter has infinite durability.

* Willow's lighter can't be crafted.

* Willow's lighter won't give off light or will be possible to light things with if held by non-Willow players.

* Willow is immune to fire damage.

* Willow is immune to heat damage (temperature for Willow capped at 60).

* Willow takes x2 the damage from freezing.

* Willow doesn't freeze when insane anymore.

Leafy Meat

* Leafy meat can be cooked in crock pot and has meat value of 1 and a veggie value of 1.

WX-78

* WX-78's water damage and damage rate increases depending on the wetness level.

* Initial wetness damage rate for WX-78 has been tweaked slightly.

The Lazy Forager

* The Lazy Forager can be re-fueled by nightmare fuel (the source variable for amount of fuel it gives is currently unknown to me, so I am currently unable to change how much the fuel repairs for the given item).

I encourage anyone including @EuedeAdodooedoe to use mods to do this if they have the power to do so. Spice up the game the way they want it to be. When the developers hand you such an easy sandbox to tweak, why not? Your changes are mostly a miss in my book so far, but hey at least you're putting in the effort. It wouldn't be the first time a good enough change was born that it was added to the core game, there is that opportunity somewhere still.

28 minutes ago, Cheetos said:

Tl;DR of OP: "I think we should try to use mods to play with game tweaks and see if Klei likes any of the ideas for the core game, here is a list of changes I created with my mod:".

Reveal hidden contents

Marble Shrubs

* Changed the crafting recipe of marble beans.

* Increase in the marble and marble bean yield from the shrubs.

Willow

* Bernie only follows and wakes up when a Willow player is insane.

* Bernie can't be crafted.

* Bernie doesn't turn into beard hair, wool and silk upon certain conditions.

* Bernie damages insanity nightmares that bite him.

* Willow's lighter has infinite durability.

* Willow's lighter can't be crafted.

* Willow's lighter won't give off light or will be possible to light things with if held by non-Willow players.

* Willow is immune to fire damage.

* Willow is immune to heat damage (temperature for Willow capped at 60).

* Willow takes x2 the damage from freezing.

* Willow doesn't freeze when insane anymore.

Leafy Meat

* Leafy meat can be cooked in crock pot and has meat value of 1 and a veggie value of 1.

WX-78

* WX-78's water damage and damage rate increases depending on the wetness level.

* Initial wetness damage rate for WX-78 has been tweaked slightly.

The Lazy Forager

* The Lazy Forager can be re-fueled by nightmare fuel (the source variable for amount of fuel it gives is currently unknown to me, so I am currently unable to change how much the fuel repairs for the given item).

I encourage anyone including @EuedeAdodooedoe to use mods to do this if they have the power to do so. Spice up the game the way they want it to be. When the developers hand you such an easy sandbox to tweak, why not? Your changes are mostly a miss in my book so far, but hey at least you're putting in the effort. It wouldn't be the first time a good enough change was born that it was added to the core game, there is that opportunity somewhere still.

Even the WX-78's change in wetness damage? I thought that was a pretty cool thing for making him less OP :/

There's a certain limit currently as to how much I can do. I tried to work with Dragonfly, but encountered issues when trying to change it to only spawn in Summer. Partly because the code wasn't entirely clear to me about it. Even tried using the Antlion for reference, still nothing :(

But cheers for the heads up. I hope over time this method can help us all out in deciding what we would like in the game.

5 minutes ago, cactusarms said:

Is leafy jerky that rare of an idea

I could make an attempt for that. But something bothers me personally about that... not sure what.

Archived