Thoughts about changes? (Edited 5/19)

How do you feel about these changes? 

The Bing Eater dupe is a nightmare ;D. Wheezewort seem to be more rare now.

I havn't figured out the farming, the ideal temp ranges are (too?) tight.

Multiplying seeds hasn't gone well for me yet.

It's a great update but some of it makes the game much more difficult.

What are some other changes that concern or intrigue you?

12 minutes ago, CantBreathe said:

Can I just fire and forget bristle berry like before or is it now a micromanagement task?

You can for a while, but more of them (returned to one fruit, though went up in calories) and it will not have a sufficient quality (-1) after a while. You can roast it in cooking station to get a (0) quality of 1000 kcal, or mix 2 with PP to get the best food in game. But that takes areally big farm to support everyone/

The main problem of BB is getting enough seeds. You need to have a Good yield on final harvest to keep the seed and Excellent to actually increase your supply. Farming tile is good enough for Good, Hydroponic probably needed for Excelent. Unless you manage to keep the Ideal temperature, but I consider it the hardest effect.

TL;DR: Food guide will be updated :)

Thanks for the reply. Added complexity is good but I don't want to be bogged down by more and more micro. I also noticed that I can't change the max kcal intake per cycle of the dupes. Was that removed?

Looks like it's harder to expand farms now, do I have to use up the spawned water beds for hydro (until I can cool geysers) in order to get more than 1 seed? Are mealwood dropping seed from planters now?

Also I had a system I used where I connected 2 electrolyzers 2 gas pumps and a hydrogen gen to a geyser. Then I used heavy wire to to power it all from the comfort of base. With the change to wiring can I still power all that only sending a regular wire to the geyser spot, if so how? 

Try running a heavy wire from your main power production to a transformer in the direction of the pumps and electrolyzers. Run a regular wire from that transformer to the 2 electrolyzers and 2 gas pumps. Those four devices are less than 1kw so you'll be fine there.

Run another heavy wire from your main power production toward your base. If you want to keep heavy wire out of your base use more transformers to split off 1kw circuits around your base.

powerexample.png

To supplement previous answer: If it is just an outpost, you could bring the leftover power to a generator circuit through a transformer. Is it's purpose a power generation or oxygen? In either case it;s seem to be missing a filter (wrong gas will damage the generator) and 2 pumps (pump take in 500g/s while electrolyser spawns 1000g/s of gas)

1 hour ago, CantBreathe said:

I also noticed that I can't change the max kcal intake per cycle of the dupes. Was that removed?

Yes, but kinda expanded into permissions for more types of food and clear display of how much calories does a dupe store.

Looks like it's harder to expand farms now, do I have to use up the spawned water beds for hydro (until I can cool geysers) in order to get more than 1 seed? Are mealwood dropping seed from planters now?

Mealwood drops 2 seeds on Excelent harvest. Why cool the water in any case? No building cares about the temperature of water it enters it. Just mixing it with the original water and/or recycled will get it to 40°C.

5 hours ago, Vilda said:

To supplement previous answer: If it is just an outpost, you could bring the leftover power to a generator circuit through a transformer. Is it's purpose a power generation or oxygen? In either case it;s seem to be missing a filter (wrong gas will damage the generator) and 2 pumps (pump take in 500g/s while electrolyser spawns 1000g/s of gas)

Yes, but kinda expanded into permissions for more types of food and clear display of how much calories does a dupe store.

Mealwood drops 2 seeds on Excelent harvest. Why cool the water in any case? No building cares about the temperature of water it enters it. Just mixing it with the original water and/or recycled will get it to 40°C.

You've never had your entire base reach +70C from pumping around hot water? Before i knew about Abyssalite i basically destroyed an entire ice biome using the Geyser that was on the other side.

10 minutes ago, Xuhybrid said:

You've never had your entire base reach +70C from pumping around hot water? Before i knew about Abyssalite i basically destroyed an entire ice biome using the Geyser that was on the other side.

Gonna be destroying ice biomes again now that bottles can transfer temperature.

Every building uses the bottle item to contain liquids and gases in their storages.
The temperature from these can now radiate from buildings.

14 minutes ago, mitboy said:

I think the wire system  is too complicated and too had to manage in small spaces.

Perhaps making power transforer smaller could help, but right now its... uh.

I've found the new power system to be the least complicated addition to this build.
Wait till you try out the methane generator. Nothing about it easily fits into an established system.

With an output of CO2 in pipe form and Polluted Water in emitter form, neither of these directly lead to any other system.
If they were swapped around then it'd be another story.

2 hours ago, mitboy said:

I think the wire system  is too complicated and too had to manage in small spaces.

Perhaps making power transforer smaller could help, but right now its... uh.

Once you get used to it, it's actually make things a lot easier to manage.

Once you setup a proper power grid system, it's way more easy to manage and fun to play.

I really like the new power system. For me, this is my favorite new feature in agriculture update. lol.. not the agriculture (farm) it self

If you don't like the transformer, you could still use the old system where you need to split each grid to separate power generator.

well, the bad news is you are limited to 1KW.

1 hour ago, Risu said:

Wait till you try out the methane generator.

pstt... natural gas generator ;)

haha..

2 hours ago, Risu said:

I've found the new power system to be the least complicated addition to this build.
Wait till you try out the methane generator. Nothing about it easily fits into an established system.

With an output of CO2 in pipe form and Polluted Water in emitter form, neither of these directly lead to any other system.
If they were swapped around then it'd be another story.

it's the amount of CO2 that's staggered me - I have 8 gas gens and it's a constant flow of 660g/s of CO2... Didn't sound a lot on paper, but jesus....

1 hour ago, Lifegrow said:

it's the amount of CO2 that's staggered me - I have 8 gas gens and it's a constant flow of 660g/s of CO2... Didn't sound a lot on paper, but jesus....

Everything still stands on clean water and water geysers. To feed dupes, you need fertilizer. Fertilizer Maker produces natural gas. The only way to get rid of natural gas is the gas generator which generates CO2. And the only decent way to get rid of CO2 is air scrubber which uses clean water. Without that water you'll get no fertilizer, no power, or you'll drown in CO2.

And it produces polluted water as well. Even though fertilizer maker uses polluted water, it does not use very much of it and at certain stage in the testing, the circle fertilizer maker -> gas generator -> air scrubber was net producer of polluted water even without adding any natural gas from geysers. Later the polluted water and CO2 production of gas generator was lowered but the fertilizer maker still isn't as efficient in getting rid of polluted water as it used to be. And if you want power, you'll employ gas geysers and get a flood of polluted water. Then there are two decent ways of getting rid of it: plant irrigation, or simply mopping it out of existence.

18 hours ago, CantBreathe said:

Ideal temperature is the hardest effect to get, because how unstable it is. But you don't have to have them all to get the best rating on at least some harvests.

21 hours ago, CantBreathe said:

yep. the ideal temp range for each plant are 5C (I use Celsius)

This can be both challenging and frustrating.

I don't want to spoil it for you or anybody else, but if you want, i can private message you the ideal temp for each plant.

Wheezewort seem to be more rare now.

Hmm.. not really, perhaps you just have a bad map gen or your previous map gen are too awesome. lol

It's a great update but some of it makes the game much more difficult.

Overall I have to say yes. but it's good for the game and the player. more challenge to overcome with :)

Along with the development, they will simplified some things to reduce the micromanagement and new content for us to focus on.

What are some other changes that concern or intrigue you?

POWER... Transformer along with new generator & heavy wire are awesome.

Power system Needlessly simple implementation. I thought they mentioned being able to rotate buildings probably one o f those I heard it wrong things but that in combination of cant place a wire bridge over the heavy gauge wire is well kind of ridiculous as its about the only difficult part of the new power system. why cant rotating building be a thing why cant we be allowed to build for symmetry and design without having to accommodate the inability to plug in something from the other angle . 

gas powered generators still waist gas hand over fist because they ignore battery status completely why even put the status indicator on it then they add a new genny add extra outputs on it and still cant have it turn off when its not needed

48 minutes ago, Zervo said:

yep. the ideal temp for each plant are 5C (I use Celsius)

This can be both challenging and frustrating.

I don't want to spoil it for you or anybody else, but if you want, i can private message you the ideal temp for each plant.

Hmm.. not really, perhaps you just have a bad map gen or your previous map gen are too awesome. lol

Overall I have to say yes. but it's good for the game and the player. more challenge to overcome with :)

Along with the development, they will simplified some things to reduce the micromanagement and new content for us to focus on.

POWER... Transformer along with new generator & heavy wire are awesome.

Great reply Zervo thanks for sharing

I think we are in for one heck of  a game.

I think we are in for one heck of  a game.

yes indeed..

btw, my previous post is quite misleading.

what i meant by "ideal temp of each plant are 5C" is their temperature range.

I don't know why i don't mention range in the answer.

Staying at those 5C range can be quite challenging depends on how you do things

1 hour ago, heckubis said:

cant place a wire bridge over the heavy gauge wire is well kind of ridiculous as its about the only difficult part of the new power system.

not being able to build a bridge over heavy wire is known issue.

And yes, building and power placement can be quite a pain in some cases.

1 hour ago, heckubis said:

cant place a wire bridge over the heavy gauge wire

That's a known and reported bug. You can't even place a gas bridge over heavy wire which is even more ridiculous. But you can deconstruct the wire, build the bridge, and then build the wire under it and it works. Hopefully this will get fixed in near future.

11 minutes ago, Kasuha said:

That's a known and reported bug. You can't even place a gas bridge over heavy wire which is even more ridiculous. But you can deconstruct the wire, build the bridge, and then build the wire under it and it works. Hopefully this will get fixed in near future.

hopefully they make the rotating of  parts  workable with the shapes of these things overall isn't bad its just that you cant weave or balance the visual aspect of it would make for balancing packet stacks in pipes and vents easier as well. and would stop this feeling of having to dig all the way to the left boarder of the map before building a large power system or have to suffer design issues

7 hours ago, Lifegrow said:

How many generators can one gas geyser fully support?

4 minutes ago, CantBreathe said:

How many generators can one gas geyser fully support?

Let's see here... The geyser attempts to produce 60kg of methane over the course of one eruption.
The eruption lasts 500 seconds and idles for 100 seconds, so 0.1kg/s.

The generator consumes 0.06kg/s, so 1 and 2/3 generators per geyser.

Archived