Usefulness of Certain Biomes?

On 5/17/2017 at 4:13 PM, Renegade_Doll said:

You are mostly just repeating what my original post says, but putting a positive spin on the exact same facts. The savannah itself serves no purpose except grass, the mosaic serves no purpose except for rocks, the deciduous serves literally no purpose. The only benefit to the savannah and deciduous at all is the creatures in them.

Plains already has grass, rockland and desert already has rocks; and the resources found in the deciduous are so subjective they are genuinely not worth gathering unless you are already there to interact with one of the points of interest.

The point is, the world is smaller then it actually is because certain biomes give players little incentive to interact with them and thus players do not even visit or interact that part of the world, they only ever go there because that is where Beefalo or the King happen to be. Players have reason to interact with the desert, swamp, plains and rockland multiple times.

Players do not even interact with the deciduous once they simply go there because that is where the King, Glommer and Klaus are. They only go to the savannah for grass, rarely for rabbits, or for the Beefalo. And they only go to the mosaic once for the graveyard and early gold; then often just default to using the rockland as a source of rocks. None of these three biomes themselves serve as valuable parts of the world. they are the grey areas people only ever need to go to for very specific reasons.

That alone makes them superior to a lot of the other biomes to be honest.  Those are in the top three best biomes of the game to be honest.  The only other biome that will beat them would be the plains/grasslands because they have: berries, carrots, bees, trees, flint on ground, twigs, butterflies, and occasionally other stuff.  

Rockland have rocks, but that's really it to be honest.  They don't have trees, grass, twigs, berries, beefalo, pigs, cats, rabbits, etc.  

Desert and and swamps are debatable.  Most people don't really visit them a lot to be honest.  

I see quite a few of them set bases there.  Even inexperienced players go there for the mushrooms alone to be honest.  

Many inexperienced players go there for rabbits.  Though the more experienced players will go for beefalo wool.

Two of them are one of the favorites.  Most players camp out in the Savannah, Grassland, or by the Pig King.  Also...  Most people only go to the rock area early on for rocks and gold to be honest.  Those are only specific things they go there for.

I don't especially like desert, and i like swamp but would never put my base IN swamp. Usually i try to be close of swamp but with something nice near me too. Swamp is good to gather some food and to flee when hounds come, but it's not that attractive for a base for me.

Savannahs, deciduous forests and arguably mosaic areas are relatively safe, mob-wise (unless you get beefalos in heat, hound waves, meteors or play Webber and get too close).

Savannahs feature a lot of grass you can never have too much of. Yes, other biomes have grass, but if you just want to fill your slots with grass, a savannah will be the best. Manure from beefalos can be obtained in other ways (pigs, bunnymen, koalas), they are also for farming (something not everyone cares about besides a few for cosmetics) or as fuel. Rabbits can be found around meadows too, but either way, you will want at least four: for a presti. No four rabbits, no presti, bye, magic.

Deciduous forests offer His Plumpness and Glommer, neither of whom you can relocate. You can move pigs, replant birches, bribe catcoons long enough to build a fence around them, mushrooms grow with some randomness. Can't move PK and Glommer though. Yes, I myself find them a bit boring, but they are useful.

Mosaic has something awesome: meteor fields. Get renewable rocks on the surface even if you turned tree petrification off. Troll your friends if you're That Guy. Hide in this biome few ever scout thoroughly if you want privacy. Heck, it's even frequently worth it for digging up all this cobblestone. Instead of crafting it, just use your pitchfork. 100 charges included. Finally, the rock den/critterlab. It spawns in the mosaic biome.

Finally, these biomes with the exception of the deciduous forest (which you can go around by running a bearger or a gang of chopping pigs through it, have Maxwell's shadow diggers clean up) feature a good deal of space for bases. Wormholes are a great thing too.

On 17.05.2017 at 4:45 PM, Palecwsmalec1 said:

The swamp is only worth it for the reeds and tentacles, the former of which isn't even that desireable unless you have a Wickerbottom on the team.

My good sir, you forgot mob-stomping by tentacles/spiders/merms plus all the loot from these wars. Usually a sinkhole as well. Out of surface biomes, only swamps provide you with fish and frog legs all year round.

On 19.05.2017 at 10:53 AM, Lumina said:

I don't especially like desert, and i like swamp but would never put my base IN swamp. Usually i try to be close of swamp but with something nice near me too. Swamp is good to gather some food and to flee when hounds come, but it's not that attractive for a base for me.

Play with me, I will show you the ways of the swamp witch. You will never be the same :twisted:.

7 hours ago, Arlesienne said:

My good sir, you forgot mob-stomping by tentacles/spiders/merms plus all the loot from these wars. Usually a sinkhole as well. Out of surface biomes, only swamps provide you with fish and frog legs all year round.

I feel like I'd be a swamp-dweller when I build on the surface (usually I live just outside the ruins, infinite amounts of everyday resources), buuuuut...
I really am convinced that someone at Klei put a flag on my account to spawn a tentacle every time I stop moving on swamp turf.
The times when I've stopped to chat or craft or anything else in a swamp and haven't immediately been smacked are rare.

Birchnut biome or whatever its called is my absolute favorite...

Fireflies being abundant alone makes it worth traveling to. Catching every firefly in game and placeing them at your base in a organized 64×64 (give or take) grid can light up your entire base at night and is a HUGE life saver sometimes.

Birchnut from the trees are one of my favorite renewable sources of filler/food. Not only that but you can tons of wood as well. 

Then you got a good source of pigs and catcoons for rot and manure. 

12 minutes ago, Pyr0mrcow said:

I feel like I'd be a swamp-dweller when I build on the surface (usually I live just outside the ruins, infinite amounts of everyday resources), buuuuut...
I really am convinced that someone at Klei put a flag on my account to spawn a tentacle every time I stop moving on swamp turf.
The times when I've stopped to chat or craft or anything else in a swamp and haven't immediately been smacked are rare.

Rule 1 of swamps: don't stop to chat or craft.

I think it's kinda funny that people defend the biomes the way they are, and say nothing should be changed...

I quite liked the update that differentiated the two deserts, into a desert and oasis.  The cactus look different, but act the same, the rocks are the same, but one of them includes hounds, tumble weeds, and d-fly while the other includes the volt goats, antlion, and the perk of a no-burn summer base.

If Klei came up with more improvements to differentiate the other biomes I think it would be great.  Looking at why you would visit a biome, and how often is a good way to analyze where you would prefer your base to be.

I would like to see something done to differentiate the two deciduous biomes so it isn't just "pig king / glommer" and "other."  When I think of places in the game that I feel like I wasted time exploring, and never return to the top of my list is the "other" deciduous biome.  If that were simply removed from the game and replaced with 100% blank terrain I would consider it an improvement because I wouldn't need to waste time exploring it.  For this reason I would say the "other" deciduous is the worst biome in the game, a clear winner for this fail-title ahead of any other.

I would actually put Savannah next for me - because I typically go back once to dig up grass, once to trap rabbits for magic, and once to relocate beefalo.  Once I've done that, I never go back there.  The mosaic biome is better because I go once for graves, once for a pet, and once to dig up free roads / rocky turf, but I will return back multiple times to acquire moonrock as it is needed (and lately there are more needs for this)

When I decide where to put my base I typically look at 3 things, and only 1 of these relates to the biome.
1) Wormhole location - Even if the wormholes don't go anywhere particularly useful.  Just having 2 wormholes nearby can be extremely advantageous.
2) Caves entrance - I don't like to go too far to reach the caves so it's easy to refill on lightbulbs, farm bunnymen, and transition to an underground base.
3) Oasis - One of my biggest problems with DS was when they added summer combustion.  I am a huge fan of the oasis biome so I can build my base without incorporating flingo everywhere and having to always re-fuel them.  I still like a flingo by plants, but I can fence in animals or build an expansive pig villiage for tree farming without worrying about summer burn.  Cactus are extremely useful for managing sanity, and can help with filler for crock pots in a pinch.  I also like the steampunk goggles and the sandstorm, that was a really interesting mechanic to add.

TL/DR - I think the game can always use more interesting things, that differentiate the biomes, but I only think the non-pig/glommer deciduous is a waste right now.

Well of course more biomes are going to be more useful than others it works the same way in real life to there are better places to live naturally than others I think the balance is pretty fine rock Biome could use something  but there are meteor fields so I don't think much could be done maybe make the desert biome have less tumbleweeds you think it would be resource starved like A desert but naturally it's almost a resource paradise which I think is pretty stupid but I also really really hate sandstorms not being in both deserts  kind of wish there were more environmental hazards to living in some biomes most the time it's because a mob did it or it's worldwide which is sometimes is not fun

The Mosaic biome exists for early game, an easy biome with little to no threats so you can gather resources to start setting up quickly. I typically find the Mosaic biome by the end of day 1, and I'll have an alch, fire pit, and lightning rod pre-built by the end of day two. If I can't find it, it take SUBSTANTIALLY longer to gather resources, and honestly, if you don't have a base built by day 10 at most, you'll end up being too far behind to ever be able to fully recover, so you'll be better off just blue balling it and starting from scratch. :wilson_goodjob:When I'm not basing by PK, I'm making a base in the Oasis. Why? Because it's safe. You don't have to worry about getting your ass handed to you early on, (unless you're Webber,) and instead you can focus on gathering the necessities for long-term survival. Also the Oasis is fire proof during the summer, which is a nice little bonus.

I mean, yeah sure, you could base in the swamp, because you're hard-core and edgy, but don't come complaining to me when you get fed up of death by hentai every 5 minutes. :3
Personally, I feel that it's more important to have a varied roster to your group base, over where you base. 

If you have 3 Woodies, sure, you'll be drowning in logs, but there won't be a whole lot of food come Winter time. You'll need a Hunter (Wigfrid/Wolfgang), a Food/Mob Farmer (Wendy, Webber, Wickerbottom, and to an extent Waxwell), and a Resource Farmer (that would be your Woodies and Waxwells) for your machine to be well oiled and running smoothly. Of course you'll have some Basic Beeches (Wilson, Willow, and WX) in there too from time to time, and for the most part they might end up being the base maid. (Not all the time, but most of the time :wilson_ecstatic:)

Archived