Totally useless items OR just alternative to something

Hi there!

I would like to discuss few items in Don't Starve Together. Do you think they are totally useless (why:expensive, replacing backpack, any other reason) or, somehow, they can be useful in some situations. Otherwise, what would you change or improve to make you to give them a chance. Do they need any changes or the items were implemented just for fun?

• Night Light,
  • Rain Hat, 
  • Rain Coat,
  • Ice Cube,
  • Feather Hat,
  • Fashion Melon,
  • Dapper Vest,
  • Bat Bat,
  • Telelocator things,
  • PickAxe(from ruins),
  • Hibearnation Vest,
  • Insulated Pack,
  • Summer frest,
  • Your Option.

I'm just disappointed that I never seen anyone would craft any of listed items. Some of them are really cool and "cool" like Ice Cube and Watermelon, for example. I crafted most part of them only once - out of interest. And second time - to be sure I don't need them :D .

Please add information if you are using slots mods like BackPack+Armor slots especially.

Although very situational, I have seen a few use the Feather Hat and the Hibernation Vest for these reasons:

* For the Feather Hat, it's mostly for any non-wicker character to farm Azure feathers for blow darts and Krampus from birds.  So I would say it has at least few good uses. 

* For the Hibernation Vest, I seen it only used by Wolfgang players during the winter time to easier manage their hunger and keep themselves insulated at the same time. It's mostly a luxury item though, so it's much more situational compared to the Feather Hat. 

Can't say much for the other items though... I was going to say something about the Insulated Pack, but I almost forgot that Bundling Wraps make that item pretty much useless now. 

I've used the rain hat before. When Deerclops only shows up once a year, not everyone is able to have an eyebrella. The rain hat is the 2nd best hat for wetness resistance, and it's really not too hard to make. The feather hat is also useful when farming for krampus or feathers if you're not Wickerbottom. The bat bat is also something I like to use for healing when farming nightmare fuel.

In my opinion, the only things that feel completely useless in this list are night lights, telelocator stuff, the pick/axe and the insulated pack. All those chest equip items are at least useful to those crazy people who don't use backpacks.

Night light is more useful in DS, where the nightmare cycle litters ruins floors with nightmare fuel.

Rain hat: most of an eyebrella is better than no eyebrella.  Usually unnecessary if you have an umbrella and nearly any hat or helmet, but it could be useful if you expect to be in a long fight in the rain.

Rain coat: ideal for Wigfrid fighting in the spring rain.  I should try to remember to make these more often.

Ice cube / fashion melon: unpopular because they carry significant drawbacks and you can easily get by with less drastic measures.

Feather hat: this has a unique use.  Why is it even on the list?

Dapper vest: suffers from backpack addiction and an abundance of alternative options, like green mushrooms or top hats.

Bat bat: heals like 12 dragon pies.  The trouble is if you're good at kiting, sanity drain will be a bigger problem in boss fights than health, although this can be fixed if you have a bee crown.  Has neither enough damage nor durability to be much help against dragonfly, unfortunately.

What do you have against the telelocator, anyway?  Escaping danger, flinging dangerous mobs randomly across the map to be someone else's problem, quickly transporting vargs into pens, preventing summer smoulder by calling down a rain storm, this does it all.

Pick/axe: it, uh.  Gold is cheap.  Just make up your dang mind and craft a luxury whatever, if you can't find a beaver to chop or mine for you.

Hibearnation vest: even better than a puffy vest.  I use these when I can.

insulated pack: might be more useful for long cave trips now that Chester's been replaced with Hutch Danglefish.  Backpack addiction and bundle wrap get in the way, though.  It also costs less just to build an ice box in the ruins and dump food there.

Summer frest: I actually use these.  More convenient that needing to make a new floral shirt every summer.  Mostly good for something to wear while gathering materials for a floral shirt, though.

The fashion melon is actually quite useful. The wetness isn't as bad as you think (because it has a maximum cap), and it provides insulation from the sun as well as cooling you down. This means that it's a better item for warm weather than the eyebrella. I've also been told that due to a bug in the game's code, the fashion melon also stops you from freezing. I've yet to test this myself, however.

tl;dr It's an effective, cheap summer item for people who don't have a hate boner for farms

Rain coat is great if one needs light (miner hat) and a walking cane in rain.

I often use bat bats during nightmare fuel farming as I don't need to waste time for healing and it keeps me insane. Of course I use this and another weapon for the fight, it has quite a low damage so I change them as needed.

13 minutes ago, fimmatek said:

Of course I use this and another weapon for the fight, it has quite a low damage so I change them as needed.

Yeah, that's how I always saw how it was meant to be used. A common criticism I see about the bat bat is it's low damage, but that's only half of what it does. It's not meant to be a primary weapon, it's meant to be a method of healing while you fight. The moderate damage you deal while healing is just a bonus (at least that's how I see it anyway).

Unfortunately the bat bat drains a lot of sanity, so it's not particularly useful in situations you might want to use it (such as for bosses).

22 minutes ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Unfortunately the bat bat drains a lot of sanity, so it's not particularly useful in situations you might want to use it (such as for bosses).

True, that's why I use it only for fuel farming or if I'm insane anyways, like against Deerclops. It can be also handy when raiding the ruins early.

I use the Insulated Pack, its not bad. Though I don't use backpacks that much anymore so that's likely why I'm not bothered by the -2 slots... I just think its nice for long spelunking trips or times I'll be exploring for a long time. I even use the One-Man-Band though...

The only things I find totally useless are; Night Light, Bat Bat, Pick/Axe, and Dapper Vest. The Ice Cube is an easy to make summer item that can be repaired easily, I personally don't see it as absolutely useless, though you will need a cane to use it effectively due to the speed loss. Fashion Melon is meant as the Rabbit Earmuffs of summer items, so I don't count it as useless.

the rain hat is my item to use in spring.

90% of wetness protection what else can you possibly ask for? just stand underneath a tree while something is burning next to you to dry off.

yes, moisture may still build up over time with 90% protection, so what? at least i can go with the cane speed instead of the umbrellas normal speed.

people make way too big of a deal out of the moisture meter. you don't need to stay 100% dry at all times. simply stay below a certain percentage so you'll not have slippery hands or get the wetness tag on equipped items.

the fact that the rain cap also gives lightning protection is another positive aspect that speaks for it. i got robbed so many times before by random lightning strikes hitting me over and over again until i was dead. there's no way to escape it unless you enter a cave or log out until the rain is over. while killing aggroed mosslings you'll need lightning protection anyway, unless you build a lightning rod on every Goose nest.

the rain cap is only 10% weaker than the raincoat on the wetness protection. for me as a backpack user the raincoat is not an option and those 10% don't make much of a difference imo. not to mention the rng to farm tentacle spots for a raincoat is very annoying most of the times.

however the raincoat has it's use in the caves as you don't find that many trees down there.

25 minutes ago, Ginosaji said:

90% of wetness protection what else can you possibly ask for? just stand underneath a tree while something is burning next to you to dry off.

303566546159140885.png

Pretty sure the rain hat gives you 70% rain protection.

9 hours ago, Apchi said:

Dapper West,

You forgot Dapper east, Dapper north, Dapper south and Dapper Wes.

Ice Cube is a pretty good total summer solution before you get stronger gear without drawbacks (e.g. enough materials to freely use blue amulets for temperature, or eyebrellas) because by itself it can completely stop any worry of freezing due to it actively cooling you down (instead of just making it take longer to overheat- it's like a thermal stone that doesn't stop being cold!), and it's not hard to make at all if you gather the ice before it's all melted. If you have an ice box it's very easy to maintain. No worries about making expendable endothermic fires or overheating at annoying times. The wetness can be annoying if it gets too high, though.

Because of the wetness and walking speed, you -would- probably be replacing it once you could, maybe even as soon as you managed a floral shirt. Frests aren't bad either since you can't have floral shirts ahead of time, and you very well may not have 3 papyrus per person to make them when summer hits; first summer is liable to have many frests and umbrellas, or an ice cube.

I'm not a backpack addict so I find the Rain Coat a pretty decent item. There's a lot you can't do if your hand slot is tied up with an umbrella. It's pretty good if you have a wigfrid on the team to provide easy helmets for head armor, too. Rain Hat isn't quite as useful, but is the -only- good option if you want to keep the chest slot free (backpacks? non-wigfrid armors?) in addition to your hands.

When Bearger happens to end up right in the middle of the pig village (if I remember correctly, he spawned there as soon as I came out of a cave opening.), and then goes to sleep and you're afraid to wake and aggro him because he could destroy a lot of houses and eat the skins-- that's when you really appreciate the telelocator staff. I don't use it often, but it comes in handy.

yes, it's 70% hmm.

well you can still dry off while standing under a tree wearing the rain hat.

i thought trees gives 20% rain protection? can't be though as that would only cover you for 90% of wetness protection.

anyway rain hat + and tree which isn't dead = 100% water proof

that's all you gotta know.

18 hours ago, FloomRide said:

The fashion melon is actually quite useful. The wetness isn't as bad as you think (because it has a maximum cap), and it provides insulation from the sun as well as cooling you down. This means that it's a better item for warm weather than the eyebrella. I've also been told that due to a bug in the game's code, the fashion melon also stops you from freezing. I've yet to test this myself, however.

tl;dr It's an effective, cheap summer item for people who don't have a hate boner for farms

That bug was patched.

As for the post:

Night Light: Great decoration, horrible function wise.
Rain Hat: Not useless at all.
Rain Coat: 1 Eyebrella per year, combined with this being great unless you're a "wah chest slot is only for backpacks wah" baby(at which case, you're the issue), means that the rest of the people will likely end up using these. Also if you want to free a head slot.
Ice Cube: I rarely use this but I've seen it used.
Feather Hat: I saw some people use it. Sure it's not great, but its a thing that is used.
Fashion Melon: I agree with what people already said about this.
Dapper Vest: There's so many good chest slot items, and so many sanity restoring items which make me never use this. I also never use the Tophat.
Bat Bat: Actually pretty good...if you get it from an Ornate Chest. It's issue is that it's way too expensive for what it does.
Telelocator things: They're not meant to be super useful, and they're used a lot for moving creatures around, which is their use.
PickAxe(from ruins): Same reason as the Bat Bat really. Also you rarely need a pickaxe and an axe at once.
Hibearnation Vest: It's pretty good, I use it if I'm not using a Maglum or smth already.
Insulated Pack: Worse backpack, far more expensive than one.
Summer frest: Yeah I see no one using this one.

Personally I don't use a lot of the items mentioned here, but I can see why people would use them.

Rain Hat - Basically bootleg Eyebrella, good if your friend can't function without one (you know who you are).

Ice Cube/Fashion Melon - Caves exist. Granted, not everyone wants to go down there.

Rain Coat - Torso Eyebrella. I usually carry one whenever I'm playing as Wickerbottom and don't have an Eyebrella so I can charge any WX-78's in the server without getting electrocuted.

PickAxe - Never touched this thing before and don't plan on it. They need to buff this thing because I see how useful it could be.

Insulated Pack - Used to love this thing until Bundled Supplies were released.

Dapper Vest - Tam 'o Shanter. Need I say more?

Hibearnation Vest - Not a bad item for Wolfgang, but otherwise I'm able to manage my hunger just fine.

Ice cube plus frest equals total protection in summer I've never used the rain stuff because I hate fighting tentacles I play Warly so I've never need the hib pack it could function as a replacement though as for night light or pick:axe I will probably only use them for novelty 

Night Light is probably just late game cosmetics. It's mechanically useless and resource-draining (also kind of hurtful since it drains your sanity) and a simple Firepit does its job much better.

Ice cube? Ehh, i think it slows you down but honestly i've never noticed that. It does add a bunch of wetness but i just think it's a relatively simple-to-craft item that you can use if you have no other options (standing under trees with an umbrella+straw hat isn't always enough, and crafting an endo fire every single time you go out is a touch wasteful)

Dapper vest - not dapper at all. In fact, it looks kinda ugly. I admit i'm a person that crafts tophats just to look fancy as hell, but this one barely has an use and looks bad.

Pick/axe - again, late game novelty. Too expensive to be useful. Just put that extra golden pickaxe into your backpack  I-i, (i mean inventory! Haha, yeah! don't kill me!) and don't waste materials for this.

• Night Light, - The thing I accidentally craft because it looks and uses similar resources to Life Giving Amulet. But sucks.
  • Rain Hat, - Awkward to get, yet only slightly effective. While there are two other accessible items which fully block rain.
  • Rain Coat, - Very useful if you do not have an Eyebrella or want a head slot open.
  • Ice Cube, - Useful for quick cooldown, but not much else really.
  • Feather Hat, - Good for farming birds, but since farming birds is unusual it really serves no use.
  • Fashion Melon, - Desperate cooldown, I never see it used.
  • Dapper West, - Barely provides any sanity, yet harder to obtain then better sanity regeneration items.
  • Bat Bat, - Takes forever to make, barely any uses. 0/10
  • Telelocator things, - Dun'no
  • PickAxe(from ruins), - Novelty tool, needs a lowered crafting requirement same with the Bat Bat
  • Hibearnation Vest, - Great if you do not mind sacrificing your torso slot for winter
  • Insulated Pack, - Seems useful in theory yet is pretty meh
  • Summer frest, - Amazing for summer preparation, but people seem to never use it.

I would say, the Bat Bat, PickAxe, Cat 'o Three Tails, Feather Hat, Rain Hat and Dapper Vest need their crafting requirement nerfed.

Currently the Rain Hat and Dapper Vest are not worth bothering, and while all the other aforementioned items are actually useful; they are so costly to make that they become useless by comparison. They really need to be made more accessible so people do not feel like it is a chore to make them. Only time I ever even made a Cat 'o Three Tails was for the kink of Wendy having a whip.

Insulated Pack, Ice Cube, Fashion Melon and Dapper Vest could in turn use a buff to their uses. Maybe remove the speed reduction on ice cube.

Same could go for the Piggy Back, almost never see it used if they increased the resource cost and removed the speed reduction it could be a second tier backpack people could craft by saving up resources.

And as for the Night Light. How about it regenerates sanity. So people can sacrifice nightmare fuel for a strong sanity aura that actually gives them decent amounts of sanity back.

12 minutes ago, Palecwsmalec1 said:

Ice cube? Ehh, i think it slows you down but honestly i've never noticed that. It does add a bunch of wetness

It's only 10 percent 

12 minutes ago, Palecwsmalec1 said:

Dapper vest - not dapper at all. In fact, it looks kinda ugly. I admit i'm a person that crafts tophats just to look fancy as hell, but this one barely has an use and looks bad.

Yeah you need a top hat anyway for crafting if they buffed it to 5/min I could actually think of using it the only way I could see it being used is with a top hat thou that's only 6.6/min really not worth the restricted inv

Archived