Thermal Upgrade Battery Water Distillations

It's a delicate balance between overheating and flooding, but it's working. Still need to tune the input valve to a sustainable flow rate...

As my water supply, and thus my polluted water, get hotter, I should be able to process more into steam

Battery Steam!.png

I think this is pretty cool, even if it is a bit.. unwieldy, but its neat to know you can still do this with enough engineering.  Its also technically free since you're using the waste heat of the batteries.  It does make me wonder if they'll eventually change the batteries so that they lose joules over time while creating heat.

Would it be possible to install a thermal switch to power on a set of automated airlock doors - set to open - to allow stewm out in large volume thus controlling the heat in the battery compartment area if it goes to high? Kind of like a set of release valves.

12 hours ago, MegaMappy said:

Would it be possible to install a thermal switch to power on a set of automated airlock doors - set to open - to allow stewm out in large volume thus controlling the heat in the battery compartment area if it goes to high? Kind of like a set of release valves.

Not really any need for this.  The steam will naturally vent out of the unit at its rate of production and as long as polluted water is flowing across the batteries in a decent amount, they shouldn't overheat.  The steam transfers heat less then the polluted water accepts it.

The only problem I see with the unit, currently, is that it's a little cramped.  The steam is having a hard time getting out and it's condensing in places and creating puddles of regular water which are gumming up at the bottom.  Having the shelves 3 tiles high would probably fix this and give the steam more space to escape.  Ideally you want the steam to be removed as fast as possible and most importantly not transfer its heat to something else and condense.

A powered access door might still be a good idea, however, to keep Dupes out of the room from collecting the dirt until you want them too.

22 hours ago, MegaMappy said:

Unfortunately I don't think there is a way to set the airlocks to have different states powered vs. unpowered (this would be cool.) I do have an airlock on it that was kept closed while I heated up to operating temp. 

The condensed water happened during the initial steam release, and it takes care of itself pretty easily (regular water boils at a lower temp than polluted water). 

Then is pretty much done. I was just wondering as you said that it was still a bit finicky so I thought you had to continuously adjust the flow, but if it stabilises then is all good. I will test about the powered/unpowered auto interlocks, see if it is possible, just for giggles. 

EDIT: Nope, the auto airlocks don't fail close when the power is cut. They maintain their set up (open/auto/locked) they just react slower in auto mode if the power is cut  As Lifegrow pointed out, the reaction speed is the same. The restrictions (one way/individual dupes) don't work. 

1 hour ago, MegaMappy said:

Then is pretty much done. I was just wondering as you said that it was still a bit finicky so I thought you had to continuously adjust the flow, but if it stabilises then is all good. I will test about the powered/unpowered auto interlocks, see if it is possible, just for giggles. 

EDIT: Nope, the auto airlocks don't fail close when the power is cut. They maintain their set up (open/auto/locked) they just react slower in auto mode if the power is cut. The restrictions (one way/individual dupes) also don't work. 

The speed of the doors opening/closing are identical if powered or un-powered, only option you lose is the "rights" as far as i'm aware.

44 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

The speed of the doors opening/closing are identical if powered or un-powered, only option you lose is the "rights" as far as i'm aware.

Went back to check, you are right, speed is the same. damn it, I should have been using auto airlocks all this while! 200hrs in the game. Well, that's what I love about it, always learning something new, thanks Lifegrow, I will edit my post accordingly 

Just now, MegaMappy said:

Went back to check, you are right, speed is the same. damn it, I should have been using auto airlocks all this while! 200hrs in the game. Well, that's what I love about it, always learning something new, thanks Lifegrow, I will edit my post accordingly 

Don't worry buddy, 600 hours here and i'm frequently corrected too :D 

Archived