Small Beefalo Taming Guide / Wich Equipment is important for exploring Caves?

We are pretty new to the game.

Currently we are past the second Winter and doing very well.

We have a great Base/Infrastruktur.

Also we defeated a Deerclops and an Bearger wich was an epic fight for us.

Since we wanna explore the caves for the first time we want to know the following:

Wich are important items for exploring caves like the Miner Hat?

I guess we need this hat for having free hands for fighting down there?

My other question is about taming Beefalos.

So i readed this guide http://dontstarve.wikia.com/wiki/Guides/How_to_domesticate_a_Beefalo

But he is too much in detail for me.

Can someone explain on an simple way how i can tame a beefalo.

Like how much grass and so on?

Have two sources of light, in the ruins you can easily lose one.   Ruins aren't bad but the shadow monkeys are so numerous that your only option is to run so always have enough food/light in case of a prolonged chase.   

6 hours ago, AndiK said:

We are pretty new to the game.

Currently we are past the second Winter and doing very well.

We have a great Base/Infrastruktur.

Also we defeated a Deerclops and an Bearger wich was an epic fight for us.

Since we wanna explore the caves for the first time we want to know the following:

Wich are important items for exploring caves like the Miner Hat?

I guess we need this hat for having free hands for fighting down there?

My other question is about taming Beefalos.

So i readed this guide http://dontstarve.wikia.com/wiki/Guides/How_to_domesticate_a_Beefalo

But he is too much in detail for me.

Can someone explain on an simple way how i can tame a beefalo.

Like how much grass and so on?

Tips

- Make a base a little away from the entrance since it's well lit at morning and dusk.  You also need that shining light to have farms and flowers for bee boxes.  I also say a little away, because you don't want angry bees in your base when you get their honey.

- you need an alchemy engine

- firepit

- treasure chests

- ice box

- several crock pots

- drying rack

- armor and weapons

- pig skin helmets (or wigfrid helmets)

- telltale hearts (and booster shots)

- the usual: silk, twigs, grass, logs, charcoal, rocks, gold, glands, etc.

- items for sanity: tent, sleeping rolls, tam o' shanter, dapper vest, and top hat.

- food for sanity: cooked green mushrooms, jerky, pumpkin cookies, and taffy are the easy foods to eat.  Ice cream, melonsicle, and banana pop are the more challenging ones to get, but they give a lot of sanity.

light sources: torches are a given, lanterns, and miner's hats make easy sources of light.

You're now ready to survive in the base!  The caves aren't that scary if you prepare for them before hand.  I personally am more of a builder of the base instead of an explorer, so I don't really care for them.  I just realize that staying in the caves for the summer helps me save on gears.  It's better to waste one or two gears on an icebox or two, than wasting four gears (if my brother and I share a base) on two ice flingomatics.  Though my brother likes exploring a lot, so the caves are fun for him.

TL;DR

- make an average base that you would on land

- make sure to camp by where there is a constant stream of light

- bring armor and weapons

- bring sources of light and sanity

I find it useful to have Miner Hat, Lantern, and Moggles:

• The Miner Hat is for going through safe/familiar places to open up your hand slot, good for controlled fights with body armor.
  • The Lantern is for going through safe/familiar places to open up your head slot, picking stuff, dropping for controlled fights, and having a light source for revival if it's in inventory on death.
  • Moggles are for more visibility over the Miner Hat, which allows you can see goodies and avoid running into annoying mobs. The fuel isn't as naturally accessible as Lightbulbs, so use sparingly until it can be sustained with Worm waves.

Archived