[DST | First TImer | Mute/Mime OC] Make character use Wes' animations in place of speech?

Like so many others, I'm attempting to make a personal character. He's mute, so I was wondering if there's a way/how to make him silent, but use Wes' mime animations. (He's supposed to know (fantasy) sign language but I don't think I'm ready to make custom animations yet.)

I'm following this tutorial by Dleowolf, and I've left the voice/quotes on Wilson for now.

Apologies for newness and anything I've done wrong due to such newbiness, I did look for a thread on this already and couldn't find any info.

Any and all help is appreciated, thanks for your time!

• Developer

I'm on my phone right now, so I can't help you as much, but if you just want the same animations as Wes you should:

1 - Decompile Wes' textures

2 - Draw your character over them as they act like templates

3 - Copy the mime tag or component in Wes' prefab into your character's prefab

That should work. You can use Simplex' Ktools to decompile Wes (I can do it for you when I'm on my PC if you don't know how to) and Wes' prefab can be found on data > scripts > prefabs inside Don't Starve Together's main file :)

Edited by ImDaMisterL

17 hours ago, ImDaMisterL said:

I'm on my phone right now, so I can't help you as much, but if you just want the same animations as Wes you should:

1 - Decompile Wes' textures

2 - Draw your character over them as they act like templates

3 - Copy the mime tag or component in Wes' prefab into your character's prefab

That should work. You can use Simplex' Ktools to decompile Wes (I can do it for you when I'm on my PC if you don't know how to) and Wes' prefab can be found on data > scripts > prefabs inside Don't Starve Together's main file :)

Thank you so much! With your solution I found this tutorial on decompiling textures. :D

9 hours ago, Cherryzion said:

just add 

inst:AddTag("mime")

into your character's prefab, in the common_postinit function.

Thank you!!!

Back again! I've managed to get the mod working without any crashes, but my character somehow still speaks. I put the mime tag in,  added the mime animations to assets, and removed the custom speech line from modmain.lua. Yet the text persists, and my character still plays the talking animations too. I used the assets from Wes' animations folder as a base for his own, and repacked with what I believe to be Wes' extracted scml. I've looked through a ton of different files to see if there's one that functions similarly to modmain, but for base game Wes with no luck, and I've looked for a way to make the character strings reference null, but so far to no avail. 

As always, any help is appreciated and apologies for newbie-ness!

Edited by ghostteeth
Typos.

inst:AddTag("mime")

Goes under the master_postinit, not the common_postinit.

Try that.

Also, the miming uses an animation file for each ligament and thus works with ALL characters so you don't need any special tampering to make it mime.

Edited by mikey99222