How do you improve your skills in DST (solo)

I'm currently thinking about challenges for myself to get better at this game and I'm curious how you guys learned the most. Did you set yourself challenges? Did you start new games over and over to get faster in settling down a base? Did you generate new worlds just for the sake of killing the bosses solo (even with cheating in the equipment, so you can concentrate on the fight)? Did you try out all of the characters?

I know there are some topics already where people gave suggestions and I wanted to collect them here.

Let me know what you consider the best strategy for you. I'm very curious : )

I learned in DS but it should still work I just gave myself deadline and the challege if I failed i restarted and tried again I also played all the characters multiple times just so I  got a feel for them and to run out any flukes. For bosses thats more cheaty I just spawn them with equipment till I learn there patterens then I delete the world and try to do it for real.

9 minutes ago, Donke60 said:

I learned in DS but it should still work I just gave myself deadline and the challege if I failed i restarted and tried again I also played all the characters multiple times just so I  got a feel for them and to run out any flukes. For bosses thats more cheaty I just spawn them with equipment till I learn there patterens then I delete the world and try to do it for real.

What kind of challenges did you set for yourself? And for how long did you play each character?

3 hours ago, disies said:

What kind of challenges did you set for yourself? And for how long did you play each character?

Well anything  I thought I need improvement on rushing crafting
adventure mode training
splunkey anything really
though I usually set the time limit of 10 days or a season

As for characters it was usaually 3 games for 40 days as I felr anything thing beyond that point would just be a repeat or I be to well off for my character choice to matter though I made sure I got a spring and autum start.

I know I posted what I felt about every character as I played them though its outdated as its DS and some of my opinions have changed and I'm to lazy to look for the thread  Did that answer your questions.

Know that you have the potential. Every player has the potential to become experienced if they don't limit themselves. A lot of people, especially in these forums in particular, will tell you that certain things are harder than they really are. Usually because they limit themselves and believe that others should too.

Combat, for example, is not that hard. A lot of players are scared of combat and tell other players that combat is not a good way of dealing with things. When in reality, combat is a doddle. Combat in this game is just memorising patterns and using your F key. In 99% of situations, combat is the easiest and fastest option. So, not only does it save time, it also takes less effort than other methods, making combat a very valuable skill to have.

So, my main point is that you can and will be better than what many people will tell you. Just believe that you will become better and keep in mind that video games are made to be enjoyable. Even if you aren't very skilled, it wouldn't matter as long as you enjoy what you do. You shouldn't be insecure about your skill, it's just a video game, don't stress yourself out and have fun.

13 minutes ago, JohnWatson said:

Know that you have the potential. Every player has the potential to become experienced if they don't limit themselves. A lot of people, especially in these forums in particular, will tell you that certain things are harder than they really are. Usually because they limit themselves and believe that others should too.

Combat, for example, is not that hard. A lot of players are scared of combat and tell other players that combat is not a good way of dealing with things. When in reality, combat is a doddle. Combat in this game is just memorising patterns and using your F key. In 99% of situations, combat is the easiest and fastest option. So, not only does it save time, it also takes less effort than other methods, making combat a very valuable skill to have.

So, my main point is that you can and will be better than what many people will tell you. Just believe that you will become better and keep in mind that video games are made to be enjoyable. Even if you aren't very skilled, it wouldn't matter as long as you enjoy what you do. You shouldn't be insecure about your skill, it's just a video game, don't stress yourself out and have fun.

You're right.

It's not that I'm limited because of what others say. I'm limiting myself in this game and it took me years to not be afraid of the caves (not ruins) anymore. At the moment I give myself something to do ingame by just building stuff. I don't go into the ruins nor do I fight enough to rely enough on my skills. So, I'm looking for some strategies on how to start. Inspiration.

8 hours ago, disies said:

I'm currently thinking about challenges for myself to get better at this game and I'm curious how you guys learned the most. Did you set yourself challenges? Did you start new games over and over to get faster in settling down a base? Did you generate new worlds just for the sake of killing the bosses solo (even with cheating in the equipment, so you can concentrate on the fight)? Did you try out all of the characters?

I know there are some topics already where people gave suggestions and I wanted to collect them here.

Let me know what you consider the best strategy for you. I'm very curious : )

Well figuring that the game isn´t permadeath anymore, there´s nothing stopping you from making mistakes.

I have a question. What is the most feasible (mobile) light source when playing on a overworld server, without caves? I am trying to get by in such a game, as Willow, but I haven't came up with anything better than constantly crafting lighters, torches and campfires.

2 hours ago, Captain_Rage said:

I have a question. What is the most feasible (mobile) light source when playing on a overworld server, without caves? I am trying to get by in such a game, as Willow, but I haven't came up with anything better than constantly crafting lighters, torches and campfires.

Well I suppose there's miner's hats. But keeping them fueled might be an issue as fireflies are barely renewable (the oasis spawns a few every summer). If you can spare the gold and grass, it might be easier to just make a new one instead of refueling the hats with them.

Archived