Suggestion for DST (Addition to "So bored" Topic)

Okay. Here user _Q_ write review and opinion about DST in his topic. But did not write any suggestion. And topic was closed.

Quote:

You are free to make a new thread suggesting what you believe should change and/or be added to the game to make it better.

I can suggestion :)

PLEASE! Make for us (for DST gamers) larger (very very very larger) world. At least optional in settings. I'm talking about the size of the world as we have in the game Minecraft.

Quote from this topic:

I always use the largest setting but figuring out an entire world in just 8-12 days makes it less interesting.

I like the idea of longer journeys and undiscovered lands, the element of mystery.

Yes, we need the element of mystery.

Of course I understand that, very larger world should be have more interested objects (for example more than one Pig King) or maybe new biomes (for example winter biome) and I understand It is not easy to implement like on words.

Thanks for reading :)

Dst takes a lot of processing power, a lot of computers can't even run caves, not to mention the lag. 

Your argument against my statement: its optional

my rebuttal:this world be a lot of work for klei for the minority that can run it. 

Im no expert but maybe @Alia can explain this

1 minute ago, ImDaMisterL said:

I don't think that'd be possible in DST's engine...

It'd be possible, but with work to make it a mod and dedication from the user to fully "explore" the map.

Spoiler

The map's maximum size is 1024x1024 tiles big before things hit the fan on the C-side from my testings.

Minecraft has artificial boundaries at 30,000,000 if this is correct.

So that's 29296.875 units per tile for scaling with a DST default of 4.0 units per tile.

Which is 7324.21875 times more distance must be put into the same distance currently in place.

So if everything is scaled by a factor of ~0.000136533333 it would all fit which is within float32's 9 precision limitation (Engine goes to the C-side for networking and floats are 32bit there).

A player currently travels at 6 units per second by default, which is 0.0008192 units per second in this scheme.

It would take the player 1220.703125 seconds, or ~20 minutes 20.7 seconds, to walk across just one tile.

14 days, 11 hours, 13 minutes, and 20 seconds to walk from one size of the world to the other.

As for populating it with entities I don't think the engine would support having that many entities at once without having severe performance costs associated, so a custom entity loader will be needed to dynamically create and delete entities from a master save record similar to how Minecraft handles 'chunks'.

Well, as I remember, this is what New Reign supposed to be. Don't remember exact words, but something like "Make the game more interesting for those who survive for a long time".

Some people understood the message incorrectly. I also thought that changes will make your surviving process harder with years, but it was all optional stuff to have fun with friends.So New Reign didn't really changed my gameplay style: I'm still crafting the same things, I setting my base on the same places, I'm killing seasonal bosses same way as I did in Don't Starve singleplayer version. Maybe this is what supposed to be. A little bit disappointing, but still cool, cause I love this game!

And regarding to topic: Crazy idea. It will change gameplay completely. Devs will never do that (I hope).

I believe that a lot of people who complain about the game getting boring after the first season are usually those who just settle a base on Day 2 and do nothing but make Meatballs for the rest of their life, never leaving their base. A crazy assumption, but that's what I did when I first played the game and found it boring until I've read some advice on reddit, so I'd assume that's what people mean when the game gets boring.

There's a reason why I advocate for time-efficient strategies to save as much time as possible for other activities. A lot of new players limit themselves by performing tasks that are not worth the time they consume (farmplots and rabbit traps for food, etc.). So yes, if you don't know proper time management, the game will get very boring and you'll have little time for other activities. The less time you spend on necessities, then the more time you have for mucking around, and therefore the game gets more fun.

New players are very often misled, usually by themselves or by other players, into thinking that time-efficient methods are hard and can only be done by very experienced elite players. Which isn't true, each player has more potential than they think they do. Experienced players weren't born experienced, they had to start somewhere.

Also, why on earth do many on this forum get so damn triggered whenever words like 'experienced', 'easy', 'combat', and 'F key' are mentioned? No one bothers about your stupid 'skill level'. Not everything has to be about you. Stop being so insecure about yourselves, nobody cares, and those who do bother are also insecure. Bloody hell, it's just a video game. Just stop acting like your life is being threatened because someone has remotely implied that you aren't as competent as you think you are in a video game. Whinging incessantly just because you're insecure about your 'skill' in the game is selfish, conceited, and egotistic. Who on earth bothers?

About the suggestion, I think that DST should focus less on cosmetic content like pets and focus more on making more of the game challenging instead of tedious (getting logs, disease, beefalo taming). Tedium is neither fun nor challenging. Getting logs is tedious without repeatedly baiting the bearger to smash and pound you. And bearger's wood felling ability was even nerfed in DST for no reason. I think that the crafting recipe for boards should be changed to 2 logs → 1 board, or 4 logs → 2 boards. The rope and cut stone recipes also need you to click repeatedly over and over again. Maybe change the recipes to 9 cut grass → 3 ropes, and 9 rocks → 3 cut stones?

Disease is also just an tedious annoyance rather than a challenge. It just forces you to do a chore every 50 days without adding any challenge to the game. Beefalo taming's only use is for carrying heavy objects or mucking about late-game. It's just another mechanic that's only a luxury because it takes too much time and effort to be worthwhile early on the game.

Maybe an adventure mode that's exclusive to DST?

4 hours ago, JohnWatson said:

I believe that a lot of people who complain about the game getting boring after the first season are usually those who just settle a base on Day 2 and do nothing but make Meatballs for the rest of their life, never leaving their base.

I have 451 days in my DST world and I don't know what to do.

k90xNQk.jpg

5 hours ago, JohnWatson said:

I believe that a lot of people who complain about the game getting boring after the first season are usually those who just settle a base on Day 2 and do nothing but make Meatballs for the rest of their life, never leaving their base. A crazy assumption, but that's what I did when I first played the game and found it boring until I've read some advice on reddit, so I'd assume that's what people mean when the game gets boring.

There's a reason why I advocate for time-efficient strategies to save as much time as possible for other activities. A lot of new players limit themselves by performing tasks that are not worth the time they consume (farmplots and rabbit traps for food, etc.). So yes, if you don't know proper time management, the game will get very boring and you'll have little time for other activities. The less time you spend on necessities, then the more time you have for mucking around, and therefore the game gets more fun.

New players are very often misled, usually by themselves or by other players, into thinking that time-efficient methods are hard and can only be done by very experienced elite players. Which isn't true, each player has more potential than they think they do. Experienced players weren't born experienced, they had to start somewhere.

Also, why on earth do many on this forum get so damn triggered whenever words like 'experienced', 'easy', 'combat', and 'F key' are mentioned? No one bothers about your stupid 'skill level'. Not everything has to be about you. Stop being so insecure about yourselves, nobody cares, and those who do bother are also insecure. Bloody hell, it's just a video game. Just stop acting like your life is being threatened because someone has remotely implied that you aren't as competent as you think you are in a video game. Whinging incessantly just because you're insecure about your 'skill' in the game is selfish, conceited, and egotistic. Who on earth bothers?

About the suggestion, I think that DST should focus less on cosmetic content like pets and focus more on making more of the game challenging instead of tedious (getting logs, disease, beefalo taming). Tedium is neither fun nor challenging. Getting logs is tedious without repeatedly baiting the bearger to smash and pound you. And bearger's wood felling ability was even nerfed in DST for no reason. I think that the crafting recipe for boards should be changed to 2 logs → 1 board, or 4 logs → 2 boards. The rope and cut stone recipes also need you to click repeatedly over and over again. Maybe change the recipes to 9 cut grass → 3 ropes, and 9 rocks → 3 cut stones?

Disease is also just an tedious annoyance rather than a challenge. It just forces you to do a chore every 50 days without adding any challenge to the game. Beefalo taming's only use is for carrying heavy objects or mucking about late-game. It's just another mechanic that's only a luxury because it takes too much time and effort to be worthwhile early on the game.

It would be nice if we could have the option to select how much of a thing we want to craft and then press craft to craft that amount. The maximum amount you can craft at once for things could vary depending on how much something stacks, so a max of 20 ropes at a time, max 10 boards at a time, only one shootius at a time.

The adventure mode is something I would guess they are working on.

But I can totally agree with this and _Q_'s thread; the game needs changes in some way or another to have things be more consequential or timed.

How awesome would it be if the Bee Queen got angry at you for destroying too many hives or killing/catching too many bees around the area?

7 hours ago, JohnWatson said:

I mostly agree with this with a few caveats: after mastering the more efficient methods, it is okay to go back and experiment with other options like farm plots (rabbit traps... not so much). I agree that everyone should try to master this game, but I also think that after that they should play whichever way is most fun for them. 

I'm actually quite happy with a the skins and other cosmetic items. One of the initial things that made me fall in love with Don't Starve was its art, so I'm always happy to have more of it. I will say that I wish pets actually had some tiny benefit to them. Seriously, since their implementation I haven't used them once. If they provided a minuscule buff while they weren't hungry I'd be more likely to use them.

I'd argue that beefalo taming is a lot more worthwhile for Wendy and Maxwell, given their cons. At least the shadow thurible offers a late-game alternative for farming wood. On the matter of the refine recipes, have you ever played around with the Lazy Furnace mod? I'd say you could easily implement a similar mod for boards, rope and cut stone:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=875994715

50 minutes ago, Tosh said:

I mostly agree with this with a few caveats: after mastering the more efficient methods, it is okay to go back and experiment with other options like farm plots (rabbit traps... not so much). I agree that everyone should try to master this game, but I also think that after that they should play whichever way is most fun for them. 

Of course, mate, you don't have to play seriously all the time. Games are meant to be enjoyed, after all, and nobody can force you not to play the game in your own way.

I'm actually quite happy with a the skins and other cosmetic items. One of the initial things that made me fall in love with Don't Starve was its art, so I'm always happy to have more of it.

I don't really have anything bad to say about skins, especially since they help pay the devs' bills. I'm mostly referring to pets.

At least the shadow thurible offers a late-game altenative for farming wood.

Though, you would spend so much time and effort for something that the Bearger or Waxwell can do for free. I don't really think it's a proper alternative.

2 minutes ago, JohnWatson said:

Though, you would spend so much time and effort for something that the Bearger or Waxwell can do for free. I don't really think it's a proper alternative.

Oh I wouldn't call it an alternative or something to aim for. There's already enough of an incentive to kill the fuel weaver, so it's probably something that most players will do eventually when playing on a server for long enough. The thurible isn't something to aim for, it just makes farming wood and living logs slightly less tedious whenever you get it. You only get one Bearger a year, whereas you can use the Stalker in the caves indefinitely (if you have enough fuel that is).

Archived