What Does Stifled Actually Mean?

I'm having a really hard time figuring out what "stifled" actually means. I have plants that are at the right temperature AND pressure and they still constantly "stifle". I even tried spacing them further apart and it had no effect. So far as I can tell, the plants don't care what gas they are in, but maybe they do? Any help is greatly appreciated.

13 minutes ago, n37runn3r said:

I'm having a really hard time figuring out what "stifled" actually means. I have plants that are at the right temperature AND pressure and they still constantly "stifle". I even tried spacing them further apart and it had no effect. So far as I can tell, the plants don't care what gas they are in, but maybe they do? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Do they also have fertilizer? A picture would help. Usually the problem (either toasty surroundings, chilly surroundings, low atmospheric pressure, and/or low fertilizer) shows when you click on the plant.

Most probably (as I've seen it many, many times) is a small bubble of carbon dioxide exhaled by a duplicant that is counted when the plant checks the air around it - as plants breath from their root in outer space- since it checks only the lower tile.

A well ventilated area using gas permeable tiles or a room full of carbon dioxide should deal with this particular scenario.

19 hours ago, n37runn3r said:

Stiffled means it lacks of oxygen. I'm prettry sure your room O2 concentration is under 1000 g, around 300-500g I guess.

Infuse a lot of oxygen and your plants will grow up pretty fast.

stifled has to do with the temperature im pretty sure. When you hover over your plants you typically get 2 different warnings:

1) low atmospheric pressure = I build a few algae terrarium to keep the air pressure up, floor lamps further boost algae terrariums but be wary that they also create some heat around them (5W)

2) Stifled = temperature, what i do is i usualy build my planter boxes around ice biomes, the max and min temp for bristle blossoms are  -23 and +23 °C to check these temps you need to click/hover over the planter boxes. Something else that works well against stifling is building a hydrofan among your planter boxes. So if these 2 criteria are met and it's still not working there must be someother force at work. This is a setup i like to use and works very well for me

plantssetup.jpg

1 hour ago, SamLogan said:

Stiffled means it lacks of oxygen. I'm prettry sure your room O2 concentration is under 1000 g, around 300-500g I guess.

Infuse a lot of oxygen and your plants will grow up pretty fast.

It doesn't matter what the gas is. As Octyabr mentioned, there is an advantage to filling the area with CO2: your dupes won't be in there so long that holding their breath is a big deal, and if they exhale, they won't create small packets that nevertheless occupy entire tiles.

Myself, I just have a single gas permeable tile between my main base area and my farm annex. As long as my base's gas pressure stays high enough, so does the farm.

Archived